Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2011.06.02, 04:26 PM   #441
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

>implying IMPLICATIONS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-pop

>a loosely-defined musical genre that entered the musical mainstream of Japan

Name:  CHBmM.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  140.6 KB
Old 2011.06.02, 05:18 PM   #442
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

^ LOVE IT!
All my rep!
Old 2011.06.02, 05:42 PM   #443
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Actually, Ayumi DIDN'T write her own music (ESPECIALLY in the beginning), and CONTINUES to not write most of her own music. That's a fact.
IF Ayumi wrote her own music, all the time, the same way Utada and Shiina does, then maybe I would agree with you. But she DOESN'T and in fact has very little to do with the actual songwriting. Therefore, Ayumi is like Madonna. Hugely influential in pop music, but not musically creative. At most, she is like Salyu.

Also, really? Utada is to Kate Bush as Rebecca Black is to Ringo? Care to back that up a little bit more? Because that is incredibly insulting to an artist of Utada's creativity and stature.

EDIT: J-Pop is NOT a music genre. The classifications tries to make it seem like being in the Japanese language somehow makes the music different, but it doesn't. J-Pop is a geographical classification, not a genre.

One of the big problems here is that many of you did not even bother to READ the interview where Shiina talks about her feelings on the term J-Pop, so most of you are hugely misinformed. She was NEVER complaining about how she disliked the type of music, or how "mainstream" it is, or complaining about the mainstream. She was talking specifically about how she does not like how every artist from Japan gets labeled "J-Pop" just because of the country where they are from, despite the ACTUAL GENRE of their music. It's the SAME complaint that many of the bands that performed at Japan Nite during SXSW had.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.06.02 at 05:51 PM.
Old 2011.06.02, 05:47 PM   #444
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I like Ayumi Hamasaki
Old 2011.06.02, 07:55 PM   #445
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

I like... Hiromi Go.

Hiromi Go - Goldfinger 99

W3iHong - I thought she just disliked the term? Something about why must it be Jpop and not just pop... Her music automatically gets labelled Jpop even though it clearly doesn't fit the Jpop "specifications"(Is there such a thing?) like the melodies and rhythms.
I figured that I would troll abit when I'm in a lecture hall where the math lecturer is teaching things that I've learnt last year. =P

AND

>implying I didn't lol at the >implying battle.

Last edited by W3iHong : 2011.06.02 at 08:26 PM.
Old 2011.06.03, 03:48 AM   #446
vielleicht

vielleicht pleased at least somebody

I like Nakajima Miyuki
Old 2011.06.03, 06:38 AM   #447
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

uh, your wrong.

ayumi hamasaki DID write her own music, she didn't COMPOSE the songs, she wrote the lyrics, and she did so up until the middle of her career or so. In fact, it wasn't the music itself which resonated with the public and made her a star, it was the introspective lyrics about isolation and individuality, which she wrote.

and if pop is a musical genre, then j-pop is also. if that isn't the case then why does EVERY MUSIC STORE IN JAPAN label their music by jpop, then western, then enka and classical etc.

your a classic know-it-all and its getting sick. who the fuck cares if ringo is jpop or not.
Old 2011.06.03, 07:30 AM   #448
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

>Implying Ayumi Hamasaki's eyes are completely natural.
Old 2011.06.03, 07:43 AM   #449
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

This is totally off-topic, but here's a new interview with Yasutaka Nakata (capsule, Perfume) where he discusses topics such as J-Pop and stuff: http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0110603r1.html
Old 2011.06.03, 12:05 PM   #450
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

You weren't talking about Ayumi's LYRICS, you were talking about her MUSIC. You said her music "meld styles such as house/reggae/electronica into modern pop conventions and make it mainstream". That has NOTHING to do with her lyrics, it had to do with the SONGS. AND you even SAID that she "wrote her own music", which is factually incorrect! And considering she DIDN'T writer her own SONGS, that has nothing to do with something Ayumi did. You are attributing a quality to her that should be attributed to her composers.
Also, (about how Ayumi's popularity is due to her lyrics) I would love for that to be true, but Ayumi didn't even become popular until her second album LOVEppears, even though her lyrics about isolation and such were strongest in her first album, A Song for xx. And to prove I'm not a "closet-fan", I will say that I OWN A Song for xx, and I like it. But in that album, she did more unassuming pop-rock, and after that, she did more dance-pop. And then she tries to go backwards and do rock again, like in GUILTY or Secret, but it's not the same type of rock and she loads on the pretentiousness.

Because they're wrong? Since when were MUSIC STORES the best source for genre? They have to serve the mainstream, so they are the MOST LIKELY to adhere to strict ideas about genre, including the idea that J-Pop is its own genre as opposed to any Pop from Japan.
Please try and tell me what the difference is between J-Pop and any other Pop. Why is J-Pop special? It isn't, there is nothing in the instruments used, the tempos, the melodies, the CONTENT to differentiate it from Western Pop. Do you not even understand what a genre is?

Honestly, I expected way more from a fellow Nellie McKay fan.

Also, I never once talked about whether or not Ringo was J-Pop.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.06.03 at 02:16 PM.
Closed Thread