Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.05.04, 07:54 AM   #91
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

Why is it that when an Ringo re-releases an album in vinyl, it is considered chic and admirable, but when she also goes for DVD-Audio (high quality + way more versatile than an LP) it is frowned upon?

It was a collectors item, and was in limited supply - they didn't plan to make huge profits from it; it was a fanservice (although, audiophile service?) Obviously, the casual fan is just going to buy the CD. It made total sense to release a HQ version of this album considering the production in went through.

There is no need for anyone to get their JCHI tour panties in a wad.
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.04, 07:57 AM   #92
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by adrian View Post
There is no need for anyone to get their JCHI tour panties in a wad.
Theyre in a wad because the guy we paid to buy our JCHI panties for us never mailed em!
Old 2007.05.04, 04:01 PM   #93
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Why is it that when an Ringo re-releases an album in vinyl, it is considered chic and admirable, but when she also goes for DVD-Audio (high quality + way more versatile than an LP) it is frowned upon?
Frowned upon?
Okay. But only because of the lame motion graphics. I just think it's very out of character for SR to do that.
Old 2007.05.04, 04:40 PM   #94
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Frowned upon?
Okay. But only because of the lame motion graphics. I just think it's very out of character for SR to do that.
Like someone had mentioned before, it is better to have lame motion graphics than staring at a still picture.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.04, 05:27 PM   #95
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

the dvd-a's gonna be worht something some day. I'm just not caring enough...
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.04, 08:37 PM   #96
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

It was a collectors item, and was in limited supply - they didn't plan to make huge profits from it; it was a fanservice (although, audiophile service?) Obviously, the casual fan is just going to buy the CD. It made total sense to release a HQ version of this album considering the production in went through.
Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Frowned upon?
Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Like someone had mentioned before, it is better to have lame motion graphics than staring at a still picture.
I prefer to listen to experience the audio on its own, so I see the motion graphics as a downside because:

Motion Graphics distract your imagination away from where the music would naturally take you on its own.

I realize the same thing could be criticized about promotional videos, but those are never associated with high quality sound - they're visual tools geared toward marketting. The imagery associated with DVD-As, are there because DVD-As are too complicated for you to just pop into a player, read a small LED display with minutes/track info, and just flip to where you want. There's going to be menus that you need a screen for, to choose between features and formats. The idea of still images, is that (according to the DVD standard that DVD-A branches off of) you have to have at least some picture of some kind, at all times. It could be black fullscreen, but then they'd be giving you an incentive to turn your screen off, when you needed to have it on to set up the DVD-A in the first place (usually).

It is possible to have a one-format one-feature DVD-A that just goes straight to playing when you pop it in like a CD would do (with no screen interaction necessary), but those are never sold - you have to doctor one up yourself, which I've already done.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.04, 08:51 PM   #97
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Or you know, there can just not be any image and you just, y'know, listen.
Old 2007.05.04, 09:00 PM   #98
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Motion Graphics distract your imagination away from where the music would naturally take you on its own.
I see what your saying, but having something on the screen could also keep you focused on the music. If I want to listen to music... and I mean REALLY listen to music, not just have it on in the background while I'm on the net, I don't think I could with my eyes open. Either I'll lie down on my bed, or in cases like this I'll sit in the centre of my room. If I were to keep my eyes open, I'd prefer to have something to look at like an animation, rather than looking around my room and getting distracted by things like "God, what a mess. I must tidy up" or "Oooh, I forgot I've still got that DVD to watch". If the animation distracts me from the music, then I can always close my eyes... which is really the only way to really see where the music is going to take you in your own mind. All having an animation does is gives you another option, which you don't have to watch.
Old 2007.05.04, 09:16 PM   #99
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
All having an animation does is gives you another option, which you don't have to watch.
In a way it gives LESS options, because it makes the product appeal to more demographics, and thus makes the overall product less available to audiophiles.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.05, 09:58 AM   #100
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Y'know, I agree with Glath. This DVD is primarily an audio release intended for audio enthusiasts to enjoy more of a full range of sound that CDs can't reproduce. Who cares about some stupid motion graphics? No graphics are better than dumb graphics.