Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.03.16, 10:45 AM   #111
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by tokage3gou View Post
I watched the show last night. Reading a comment earlier (no disrespect at all to the poster, I hold your opinions with great magnitude; your comment was just a good starting point for my review) saying the show was boring, I can't seem to relate the word "boring" to that show at all. It boggles my mind. Fast forward to Yokoshitsu, where she is screaming on stage slicing apples with a butcher knife so manically that disembodied pieces of apple splatter in all directions to how she bursts into tears during the final lines of Yume no Ato to even the first few minutes of the show where her stage entrance is simply her sitting on the middle of the stage only to be visible to the crowd once a thick, smoky haze disappears, wearing. fucking. antler. horns in a couture gown.

One of my favorite moments is when Shiina's son is reading her biography, not revealing his name. The second he says 'watashi no haha' the crowd collectively gasps realizing that he is her son.

I agree with some of the comments here that the show contains 'truly masterful renditions of songs'. But in terms of being boring? No. In every aspect of the show, audio, theatrical, even.. metaphysical. this is *Shiina Ringo* and the woman that she is.

My favorite concert to date was Dynamite Out!. I liked JCHI in terms of its attempts of theatrics, but it let me down in terms of actual musical quality. This show is the best of both worlds (playing with subtly for amazing 'wow' factors to going over the top with production, but being appropriate). Musically, the renditions of the songs are explosive, chilling, hilarious, aggressive..

Those who went to see it live were extremely lucky to witness such a masterpiece, as the show is a culmination of who she truly is as an artist and human being.

PS: Yes, this is obviously me .. Op2. Feel free to b& me or w/e, I just wanted to post my review on such a brilliant, multi-faceted concert here.
are you referring to moiiiii

I mean if you weren't following all the comment threads, preview rips, fan impressions, general coverage leading up to the release there would be a lot more to savor. however, most of the surprises had been spoiled waaay before the dvd hit shelves. My main problem with the show was it ended right around the time I felt it should be getting started. it started off kind of slow and the theatrics didn't kick into until really late. Vocally though she sounded amazing, but I think most of us have been around ringo a bit too long and won't be satisfying by anything. personally, the ringo I know and loved never really left, I haven't been waiting for her to reappear, but because she has always been around, in Tokyo Jihen, even on Variety. But thats just me.

oh, and to compare, I thought EM was SOOOOO boring and hard to watch, I watched it over a weeks period of time. Sitting and watching concert dvds is hard for me (unless your YUKI or Tori Amos), I need a lot of visual stimulation.

buuuuut I think this DVD is going to go down probably as her best because it has the best of everything. Mixture of her sound styles, lavish production, and all around great performances.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.16, 11:34 AM   #112
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
My main problem with the show was it ended right around the time I felt it should be getting started.
This sums up the entire audience at the show. We were all shocked and disappointed when the house lights came on. I was fully expecting 5-6 more songs to be played. I honestly didn't realize when the encore started because the band left for maybe two minutes before returning and didn't even give the crowd a chance to chant "encore."

I'm really disappointed that the DVD doesn't have the Marunouchi endroll. It was really good.

Ha, for the first time in forever I actually agree with Op2. Go figure.
Old 2009.03.16, 11:56 AM   #113
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by tokage3gou View Post
PS: Yes, this is obviously me .. Op2. Feel free to b& me or w/e, I just wanted to post my review on such a brilliant, multi-faceted concert here.
Hey, welcome back, mister!
(Please don't do anything to make them ban you again )
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.16, 12:01 PM   #114
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Hey, welcome back, mister!
(Please don't do anything to make them ban you again )
Please xD.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.16, 03:58 PM   #115
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

can't believe the torrent for the show isn't out yet...

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.16, 04:10 PM   #116
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Yeeeeaaaah...
bromithia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.16, 04:20 PM   #117
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

You can't believe that someone with an average internet connection hasn't already uploaded a 7.62GB ISO, or hasn't already put the video through 6+ hours of processing to create a smaller XviD or MPEG4, then proceeded to create MD5 hashes for every 1MB of the video (essentially what a .torrent is), and have already been cleared through the approval process at a place like JPopSuki?

Don't you think you might be taking technology (and the human initiative/savvy which lag behind the technology) a little too much for granted?

There isn't exactly a 'scene'/group of Shiina Ringo uploaders that delegate among themselves who is going to handle what aspects of the operation and when, then strut around with their e-penis once the fast (and usually low quality) upload is out there. Shiina Ringo uploaders are rare, they aren't part of a group, and when it's a DVD, whoever gets around to providing the video will often take months or years.

The only way you're going to download it fast, is if someone with a FedEx delivery, sneakernets their video to 2-3 businesses/households and gets them all to simutaneously seed the same new torrent before the first leechers have even touched it yet. I'm sure somebody would go to that trouble if you were to, you know, chip in toward the cost, otherwise most people with that kind of potential are going to sit on their ass and concentrate for the first week or two on just personally absorbing the music and forming their own reinforced opinions about it.
Old 2009.03.16, 04:31 PM   #118
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Thank you, prof. Glath, for dashing our hopes once again.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.16, 04:50 PM   #119
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

You're welcome. Anytime you want to expect too much for too little, I'm always here to put things into perspective.

You might ask your old pal, Op2. I'm sure he's aching to get back into everyone's favor with upload bribes or whatever else it takes. It won Ringomaster a few defenders, right? Not everyone can be bought, but if it helps you with your anxiety more than pfizer can, then who am I to judge?
Old 2009.03.16, 07:02 PM   #120
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I wouldn't underestimate the people at Jpopsuki, Glath (well, in any other case, I mean). Many concerts are on there before the general population even has the DVD. Albums are often up before they've been released. But you're right, it usually takes a bit longer for Ringo stuff. Or maybe I just notice it more.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote