Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.11.24, 10:08 AM   #1401
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I kind of agree with Glath. Both of those shows are stuff I take with a grain of salt and this is coming from someone who believes in the supernatural.
Old 2009.11.24, 10:49 AM   #1402
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Good shows. Ghosts are a curious thing. All I know is that I don't know all. I doubt lots of stuff that seem to be silly, but do also acknowledge that my mind is too small to understand everything. The universe is probably much more fascinating than I can imagine.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.11.24 at 11:12 AM.
Old 2009.11.24, 12:35 PM   #1403
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I watched the BG finale and liked it, but was also uncomfortable with it for some points.
When they reach Earth 2.0 they split up? What? They lived in a spaceship for 4 years to search for a new home, to not letting "humanity" vanish from the universe and when they do find it, they split up to die alone in solitude without leaving anything behind at all? That was arkward.
And then there was this opera scene that finally came true. And it didn't matter all. Not even the speach Baltar gave after it as a result had any influence on the story. Not even the whole fight or the rescue of Hera was of any importance. It was just Starbuck putting in the right numbers and press the happy end button.
And the most ridiculous thing? the mothership of the Cylons is destroiyed by ONE raptor? What?
So I did like the ending, but it was full of plot holes and it made most of the events in the show seem like they were of less importance than we always expected. Baltars was taking commands from "god" for the whole show, but what did he really do to alter the storyline if he wasn't even there? Without him everything would just have happened the same way. He wasn't even important when he was president, because everyone else would have acted the same way. In the finale he was told by fake caprica again that he had to become the leader of mankind. Did he? no. He died with caprica somewhere in africa with no one around.
Not even the last five cylons or half of the cylons were of any importance, it was only Starbuck and Hera. If you take into consideration that Starbuck even died and was sent back by god himself, then nothing seems to make sense at all, if the expected ending is just fixed by the deus ex machina if something goes wrong. Thinking about the finale afterwards was the exact opposite experience for me than the current Lost finale. The BG finale was very good, but thinking about what it does to the whole show makes it disappointing. The Lost finale was disappointing, but thinking about the consequences the revelation have afterwards makes everything so much better.

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.11.24, 01:14 PM   #1404
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

It's to be expected really given how the show was written and it's cancellation. Moore was open about how they'd write one season without ever planning out where things would go in the next, they just did it one season at a time. That leads to plot points being left, or leading to nowhere especially with a cancelled show where you have a very limited time to try and pull everything together. So I think given the situation it comes to a decent enough conclusion, and I'm just happy that it has a definite end and they weren't still just stuck in space (which was one of your worries too before watching it).

Hopefully the Lost finale will be better at gluing together the various mysteries and plot points in a more coherent way. They've known this end date for 3 years now so they've had MUCH longer to plan things out, so I have faith that it can end strongly. I also hope that if Lost does go a supernatural route they keep it vague. God and his plan has always been part of Battlestar Galactica so it's of no surprise that it featured heavily in the finale, but I'm glad that it's still vague enough for anyone to make up their own mind. Especially the line "Don't call him God, he doesn't like to be called that" which makes "him" seem less like a deity and more like a powerful entity so even Atheists can be satisfied that it could be some all-powerful Cylon or something along those lines. That kind of mystery is always best left unexplained.
Old 2009.11.24, 01:39 PM   #1405
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I can't stand ghost hunters, its so boring. they take something that is largely spiritual and intuitive and strip it down to concrete science and try and "prove" it for the layman, which is never going to work. so it just looks like a bunch of normal guys running around trying to find evidence of spirits, its complete rubbish. I'm much more into shows where the have mediums and people with latent psychic ability or even just sensitive minded people going and exploring places.
Old 2009.11.24, 01:48 PM   #1406
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Not a fan then Kuro?
Old 2009.11.24, 01:59 PM   #1407
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I'm much more into shows where the have mediums and people with latent psychic ability or even just sensitive minded people going and exploring places.
They have mediums on the UK show Most Haunted but it just turns the show into a joke because they're all blatantly con artists and that is largely what makes my blood boil about the "spiritual side" of it all. I don't care if the rest of the show is some production guy scratching a wall behind the camera, that is more entertaining (in my opinion) and it isn't harming anyone.
Old 2009.11.24, 03:14 PM   #1408
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

yeah, that is where integrity comes into play. most productions are out there to make money but I have seen some specials which have utilized honest mediums and not con artists. the problem is differentiating who is legit and who isn't. I've had enough one on one experiences with sensitive people/latent psychics and mediums where it doesn't bother me to see them on television talking about their feelings. The general majority of the public, however, immediately turn skeptic when someone like that turns up, largely because they don't, or so they think, have access to anyone in their daily life who possesses such ability. the tricky thing is that everyone is born with the potential, there is a reason why children are easily the most affected amongst us, but as we grow older we gradually program our selves to think according to certain terms. So removing that programming can be quite a task and I think the vast majority of the public simply don't care enough to look past laughing at something they don't understand. hence why paranormal activity was such a hit (and utter shit IMO). go and laugh/get scared at utter rubbish and leave it at that, don't think about it on any higher level of understanding, lest you be scared you have to reevaluate the way you think and live. this is also why I am not a huge fan of ghost hunters. the guys have no ability to do what they do outside of operating all this machinery and electronic data gathering tools and yet people hold them up as the experts in the field in some ways, while real respected sources on the matter get laughed at an ignored. I think since they are just regular people it appeals to a larger populace, but to someone who has had quite a bit of experience it comes off as watching monkeys attempt to paint the mona lisa, they just don't have the proper tool kit to really understand what they are potentially making contact with. This shouldn't even be a matter of "is your house haunted? yes/no" it should be a matter of understanding WHY a spirit is making contact and HOW you can help that spirit to move on. Otherwise its just selfish.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.11.24 at 03:18 PM.
Old 2009.11.24, 03:59 PM   #1409
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

For some reason I have free cable tv!
So yeah, been putting the BBC and Food Network on.
Old 2009.11.27, 10:58 AM   #1410
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I'm so glad White Collar is a good show since we needed something to fill the void left by Monk.