Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.09.09, 07:20 PM   #1461
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I prefer Alabama Man

ALABAMA MAN
Old 2011.09.10, 08:36 PM   #1462
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

so my impressions about the 3DS:

overall the user experience is a lot better than the DS. The OS feels very natural and reminds me more of a console, it is set up similar to the OS on the Wii....I only have one game for it, Ocarina of Time, and what I have seen so far has been impressive. The 3D really does work and it doesn't bother your eyes if you calibrate it correctly. Jack it all the way up and leave it at full blast and thats another matter. It works similar to the volume, you need to adjust it to a comfortable level on a situation by situation basis.

power wise I think it probably out performs what you would see with N64 or even Gamecube. A lot of the strong titles right now at N64 ports (Starfox 64, Zelda), but there are some really strong games slated for release in the coming months.

I think the difference comes down to typical Nintendo stuff. Do you actually like first party Nintendo games or will the lack of 3rd party bother you? Paper Mario, Mario 3D, Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus, eventually more Pokemon and Zelda....a lot of really strong titles to look forward to from Nintendo....

as for the price, I think 169 is just right. My only gripe is that they are supposedly planning on releasing a peripheral to add another control stick. It makes sense considering they are porting N64 and Gamecube titles but still...one more thing to add.

I think the negative taste in people's mouths was mostly due to the mishandled launch. I just got this and so the e-store and all the software and features are up and running but it launched with no good games and many latent features patched through software updates. I mean they didn't even have the e-store up and running when it launched which is like WTF. They definitely dropped it too soon and while I'm SURE they are taking a hit on the pricing, I wouldn't have paid anything over 200 for it when I have a perfectly good DS sitting around. For me however, the upgrade in technology and the ports of many classic games is what got me. Zelda and Starfox did me in...

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2011.09.10 at 08:39 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.11, 02:59 AM   #1463
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

^ That's good to hear, because I've had misgivings. But I'll probably wait for the 3DS "Lite" anyway -- the current 3DS is really ugly, just like the first-gen DS (Nintendo managed to find the one color that doesn't go with black).
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.11, 04:09 AM   #1464
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

So is Dead Island any good?
Old 2011.09.11, 04:41 AM   #1465
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

I heard that it is very buggy. Not sure if it had to do with the developers releasing the unfinished version but they patched it on friday.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.11, 05:36 AM   #1466
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

The one HUGE problem I have with the 3DS is battery life. 6 hours with the 3D OFF is just ridiculous!

My wish: A 3DS, without the 3D, with a better battery life and form factor.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.11, 07:41 AM   #1467
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

you can turn off the 3d already.
I'd like a 3DS too, and I think it looks really sexy, but as Curious said, you know the re-design and re-launch is coming at this point so theres little reson not to wait.
Old 2011.09.11, 11:32 AM   #1468
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Yeah, I know, but even with the 3D off, all the time, battery life is still only ~6 hrs.

If it comes down to 3D vs. Battery, I will always choose Battery.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.11, 11:56 AM   #1469
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I think the bigger power draw is the graphics in general
Old 2011.09.11, 04:24 PM   #1470
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
you can turn off the 3d already.
I'd like a 3DS too, and I think it looks really sexy, but as Curious said, you know the re-design and re-launch is coming at this point so theres little reson not to wait.
I'm not so sure about a 3DS light.

Size wise it really isn't that much bigger than the current DS and when you look at the features, I'm not entirely sure how they would plan on scaling it down. There is a lot of tech crammed into it, it isn't just a straight up gaming system like the 3DS was, it has a much larger top screen, two cameras built in, etc etc. The battery actually hasn't bothered me a bit. Do you plan on going anywhere far away where you can't get to an outlet? You shouldn't need to charge it more than once a day....

like I said it really isn't that big. Coupled with the drop in price I'd be surprised if a lite version was announced, especially considering how they are still supporting the DS and the DS XL models...they are just about to release a new DS XL in Japan.

The only thing that is a maybe for me is the new peripheral. I don't think most games need the second joystick but if it does well enough and developers incorporate it I think we could see that added the same way the joystick was added to the 3DS, bump the button pad down slightly....either way Nintendo has never bothered to take advantage of an extra joystick so I can't imagine they will redesign their device for 3rd party games when they can just get people to buy a peripheral.

anyways, if anyone is waiting for a redesign or something to come along to buy it, I'd say your wasting your time. I don't expect to see any huge hardware news, just software, for quite some time.

btw 3DS sales went up something like 250 percent in August because of the price drop...
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote