Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.06.18, 12:20 PM   #141
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer
Default moved from "Tokyo Jihen New Single & Fall Tour"

/im only posting cuz Maou called me out.

Osca is not genre-bending. Please leave that idea at the door. If you are interested in books about bending genres, please inquire with Shouso Strip's chapter on "Honnou." Also about trend-making, Hipster-chic is already set here...

Maou's comment about HF's Gamble doesn't really hint at Osca's vocals. Gamble sounds like Shiina ran a 5k before hopping in the studio. In Osca it sounds like Shiina's going out of her way to sound scratchy and annoying. And to use Neko's point in a proper fashion, it sounds worse with age (maybe cuz the musics different.)
Old 2007.06.18, 12:42 PM   #142
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I think Shiinas vocals are the best aspect of the song, alongside Kameda. That's not to say they're the best vocals she's ever done, but I like them. They're fun.
Old 2007.06.18, 12:58 PM   #143
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I, for one, am glad Ringo didn't actually use the megaphone; that's one of the few things I can't stand in her repertoire.

This is the studio version, like HF's Gamble, so they could do whatever they want with her voice. If you're hearing a scratch, it's cuz they want it there. Nothing is accidental in this single.

At the tail end of the song, starting with Ringo's stretching out of "jouza," she goes into total overdrive with the stretched lyrics, and unlike the past, where she could hold a note a little smoother, now there's definite scratches. We know how much of that is natural aging (and unnatural pulmonary damage due to her goddamn smoking) based on her live tracks. But they also keyed it way up. They *wanted* shrillness, loudness, extreme-to-the-point-of-annoying vocals.

I love it!

kuro_neko is right....seriously, what other band is producing this kind of sound? Somebody tell me, please.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.18, 01:00 PM   #144
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Just cuz they want it there doesn't mean i think it sounds any better...
Old 2007.06.18, 01:05 PM   #145
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
It reminds me of Mirrorball.
Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
The way she pronounces some of the words sounds a bit like Sigma, if that's what you mean..
I'm sorry but I don't know if it reminds me of another song anymore after listening to the whole song. @_@;; I think I was thinking of an early Ringo song too, but I can't remember anymore. >_<

Originally Posted by Fukurou View Post
Shiina is Shiina, and musically it's really good, punchy (don't even know if it's a proper word huhu) and all. (oh yeah, the acceleration in the end)
Oh, I like your point about acceleration. @_@ This song (or the PV at least) has a definite theme around cars, right? I don't understand why the four dancers were a car (or OSCA) yet, so I can't wait to find out what the lyrics mean. >_<

Originally Posted by imkookoo View Post
As for the song, it won't rank anywhere in my top favorites of TJ, but I guess it's a somewhat decent song. It definately has a 60's hippy rock vibe to it, which is sort of refreshing since it's a different path they were going with Adult.

Well, Mirrorball was 60's hippy rock as well.. Maybe they're headed down that track for this next album... or at least retro. Their single cover certainly points to something more retro sounding...
I agree with you. I think it's interesting and fun but not that catchy, and I don't think it'll be one of my favorite TJ songs. (I wonder if they can arrange this song differently for their lives. o_o) But, I'm still excited for this single and the b-sides! And I'm becoming more assured that the new album will be retro-like, too! "Killer Tune" and "BB.Queen" sound retro to me, and this PV showed me a glimpse of what it'll probably be like. I'm excited. >_<
Old 2007.06.18, 01:21 PM   #146
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Damn delete function:

"deleted":
^^^ But it does mean you should consider why it's there. Do you think it's there to annoy you, personally?

"meant to add":
Are TJ the musical equivalent of talk radio?
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.18, 01:23 PM   #147
Tokyo Jihad

Might as well.

EDIT: To go further, its there probly cuz "oh, I used to whail and screech and junk back then and people loved it. Lets try and recapture that magic that may very well be gone."

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.06.18 at 01:27 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.18, 01:45 PM   #148
vayerism

vayerism is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I've made up my mind on the video, and I don't like the video portion of this package.

I get what they tried to do, and I like that. They tried to do a Spike Jonze/Michel Gondry kinda thing. However, all I got out of the video was just that, "oh, they're trying to do a Spike/Gondry thing" and I don't think it warrants its own identity.

Plus i dont even think the old fanboy standby of "Well Shiina looks good" even applies here.

(I won't comment on the song)
Fatboy Slim - Praise you (Spike Jones)
Chemical Brothers - Let forever be (Michel Gondry)

it looks like the same but i think the feeling is different

Last edited by vayerism : 2007.06.18 at 01:51 PM.
vayerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.18, 02:02 PM   #149
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Maou's comment about HF's Gamble doesn't really hint at Osca's vocals. Gamble sounds like Shiina ran a 5k before hopping in the studio.

Just because you did not like the vocals on gamble does not mean you should say they are bad. I don't know any other artist that can sing like that even if they tried. It's ridiculous to say that it sounded like she ran a 5k before singing it.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.18, 02:04 PM   #150
Tokyo Jihad

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
Just because you did not like the vocals on gamble does not mean you should say they are bad.
quoted for huhh??