Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.08.04, 07:15 AM   #151
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer
Default moved from "Killer Tune thread"

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I think the problem for many on this forum is disensitization and especially overexposure.
Well, Its been quite a while since I've said "gee, lets spin a Shiina album!"

Maybe the songs just aren't great? Maybe thats in the realm of possibility?
Old 2007.08.04, 07:18 AM   #152
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I dunno about that theory, neko. I listen to Tokyo Jihen and solo Ringo quite a lot, so my current love for them is pretty active.

Now I do agree with your assessment in that, I didn't listen to OSCA for two days, and when I heard it again I was amazed by it all over again.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 08:36 AM   #153
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Well, Its been quite a while since I've said "gee, lets spin a Shiina album!"

Maybe the songs just aren't great? Maybe thats in the realm of possibility?
Two things, I thought you enjoyed Ringo's solo work? People on this forum walk around like her back in early days PWNS Tokyo Jihen, so I assume by "Shiina" you are meaning Tokyo Jihen, which is quite a rather large and telling mistake.

and yes, it's overexposure. It isn't even about LISTENING to the music, it is about sitting and having over 1200 posts on a forum that is only a few months old, leaving no thread unturned, no member's comment unread. It goes beyond the music and the artist, it goes into the lifestream of this forum, people coming here and living, breathing, thinking Ringo and TJ constantly. The more you talk about them, the more they get build up in your head, or in your case, deconstructed, either way, it still detracts from the pure simplicity of the music.

Take a two month break, shut down your computer, ban yourself from ANYTHING Jihen or Ringo related until Variety, take that for a spin with absolutely NO influence from the media or this board, and then I will actually seriously listen to you have to say
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 08:43 AM   #154
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
But naw, I'm excited to hear the b-sides (cause I'm one of the chumps who thinks he likes Killer Tune ).
Maybe it's time for Izawa and Uki to switch roles? Uki wrote an OK A-side while Izawa wrote two great B-side tracks. Maybe this time it'll be Izawa with the OK A-side and Uki with the great B-side?

Part of the problem with Killer Tune for me is that it's too similar to Konoyo no Kagiri from a mood standpoint. Killer Tune just comes off as a lesser Konoyo simply because it lacks the same structure. Konoyo comes together as a great song while Killer Tune falls apart in comparison. I think I would have enjoyed Killer Tune more had Konoyo not been released earlier this year.
Old 2007.08.04, 08:47 AM   #155
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
Two things, I thought you enjoyed Ringo's solo work? People on this forum walk around like her back in early days PWNS Tokyo Jihen, so I assume by "Shiina" you are meaning Tokyo Jihen, which is quite a rather large and telling mistake.

and yes, it's overexposure. It isn't even about LISTENING to the music, it is about sitting and having over 1200 posts on a forum that is only a few months old, leaving no thread unturned, no member's comment unread. It goes beyond the music and the artist, it goes into the lifestream of this forum, people coming here and living, breathing, thinking Ringo and TJ constantly. The more you talk about them, the more they get build up in your head, or in your case, deconstructed, either way, it still detracts from the pure simplicity of the music.

Take a two month break, shut down your computer, ban yourself from ANYTHING Jihen or Ringo related until Variety, take that for a spin with absolutely NO influence from the media or this board, and then I will actually seriously listen to you have to say
Yes i like Shiina's earl work, and no that does not mean ive been listening to Jihen (tho I did give in to watching DO last week but thats hardly over saturating)

Nice try tho, Neko! (at the getting me to leave stuff)

BIG EDIT: Believe it or nay, Shiina Ringo is not my number one draw for me here. I spend alot of time on other forums of bands I like, and i can dis/like these band's songs just as clearly, Shiina/Jihen is no different.

However, this forum tends to be strangely unforgiving to criticism, which I think is damn shame. We are largely discouraging people to say they dislike a song because they likely know theyre going to have a whole mess of posters jump on their back. Look at Stoicism and makenshiww's posts where they seem to cautiously agree, "not that I want to make enemies" is the exact phrase. This is a horrible stigma to have for a forum. If you criticize you're risking your viability on the forum, that's not what we want, is it? -- Thats exactly why the hell this place exists beyond being a SR/TJ community. So please cut out this "oh there must be something wrong with the person if they don't like the song" bullshit. The song isn't peachy keen on the bands behalf, not mine, ok? Disagree all you want, but let's not make it see, like its impossible for KT to sound like garbage, or that posters that think that are garbage. Valid criticism needs to be encouraged, in spite of its possible uncommon frequency.

EDIT 2: Post below \/ is my main draw to the board =p

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.08.04 at 09:32 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 09:28 AM   #156
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Old 2007.08.04, 10:05 AM   #157
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm not trying to get you to leave the forum, haha

I am just trying to express what I feel is part of the problem with forums in general, not limited to any user or any particular forum in general.

and yes, it is good to hate on an artist that you love, on that note let me say I EFFING HATE MEMAI

moving on, hahaha, its really nice to casually discover an artist you love is releasing new work. That happened to me with Rilo Kiley, been out of that fandom for almost two years now and returning to a new single and a new album without all the negative/positive stigma is nice, allows you to just concentrate on the music and your own impressions, etc.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course, why is why I never have said YOUR WRONG (although I've been tempted, XDXD) moreso than try to be helpful by suggesting the EVILS OF THE INTERNET as the reasons for everything.

this post made no sense....
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 11:48 AM   #158
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Rilo Kileyyy! Except their new single, while catchy, is kind of weirdly... calculated. As in, "we want money" and its right there in the lyrics. Still, I'm excited about the new album.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 12:19 PM   #159
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post

However, this forum tends to be strangely unforgiving to criticism, which I think is damn shame. We are largely discouraging people to say they dislike a song because they likely know theyre going to have a whole mess of posters jump on their back.
I've had the opposite experience. I feel like I will be labeled a fool and uncritical if I admit that I like some of the new stuff.

At least we are a passionate bunch.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.04, 12:33 PM   #160
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

[quote=kuro_neko;13962]on that note let me say I EFFING HATE MEMAI

/QUOTE]

Wow, really? I just "discovered" it in the past couple of months. Pretty unique for her, and the production and vocal work on the track really remind me of some mid-period Kate Bush, as does the mood. I think it a great song.

But it is cool with me if you hate it.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote