Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.08.11, 10:52 AM   #161
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

Like I said, Roger Rabbit...

I was such a fan of that movie, maybe thats why I like the video.
Old 2009.08.11, 11:07 AM   #162
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
oh...excuse me for dragging the whole forum down....cuz you know...its all about her body. boobs boobs boobs vagina.
I know you need to boost your ego by turning "comments like this" into "you" but you're not going to drag me into a three page argument like Jihad. Not even Op2 could do that during our little scuffle.

Seriously though. What the hell, guys? I can't see how there can be a single negative thing to say about this video for this song. Of course it's not what I would have done because I associate the song more with Greek drama than Beauty and the Beast, but it's still fitting. It's not horrid like OSCA. In fact, it's pretty good.
Old 2009.08.11, 11:10 AM   #163
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I associate the song more with Greek drama than Beauty and the Beast, but it's still fitting. .
i actually agree slighty. I didnt notice until you brought it up though
Old 2009.08.11, 11:23 AM   #164
letemp

letemp is headed in the right direction

some people think standing out of the crowd or being cynical makes them cool but in this case it's the opposite . . .

This video is exactly what i wanted it to be! it's so funny the way she run like a frog!!
Old 2009.08.11, 11:29 AM   #165
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

It was inevitable that the video was going to turn out like this, but I expected it to look A LOT cheaper/hackneyed.

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
But seriously man, that video is a horror! dancing about with some cartoons like it's a Disney film.

I just don't ever want to see that. (again)
The ballet is awesome. Back to Shiina's roots, yo

(I don't particularly care for ballet, but still)
Old 2009.08.11, 11:45 AM   #166
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Shiina should just do what she wants, instead of aspiring TO BE THE NEXT DAVID BOWIE or whoever. That's the kind of juvenile aspiration that a starry-eyed teenager would have. There's a thing called real life, people.
But the thing is, I'm not sure how this isn't being part of her own self. She's taking inspiration from everywhere. 30s - 50s musicals/cartoons IS unique and fantastic, on which she's putting her own spin. How is this any different from prostitutes from Kabukicho, or the grunge era or early 90s R&B or turn of the century Japan? She's still being herself.

Maybe it's because I'm a Fred Astaire fangirl and I grew up on the shorts and feature films of Disney, but I think she's fantastically taking cultural points from as awesome an inspiration as ever, and making it her own equally well.

last.fm
Old 2009.08.11, 12:17 PM   #167
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

You make a good point, really.

Like, in every drip of translated interview we've gotten, Shiina says stuff like "I wanted to make a song similar to this" and "I wanted to make a song that harks back to that" I admire this kind of creative attitude in any artist, in any medium, which is probably why I'm drawn to Shiina.

I do still think she's overdone it in some areas recently, but if you look at her catalogue as a whole, it's really impressive.

So yeah, actually. I won't pretend that SR's recent music has 'moved' me or any shit like that, but the idea that she's not doing 'more' is actually pretty bullshitish.

I just want her to do a Mr.Bungle-style album, where she takes all of her musical influences and goes fucking CRAZY with it!
Old 2009.08.11, 12:37 PM   #168
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

We need a Ringo reggae album. Now. Ringo x Japonicans plz.
Old 2009.08.11, 12:49 PM   #169
Scribble R

Yes! Ringo doing dancehall! Jamaican dancehall is HUGE in Japan.

I'm half Jamaican and it's hilarious to see Japanese people so into it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJh6vH6V_to

Old 2009.08.11, 12:55 PM   #170
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Ringo needs a traditional Enka with rock infusion album before that. Maou I get your anger about the objectification of ringo and her body but I hardly think saying she looks good warrants a reaction. Perhaps it was a bit vulgar. between all the negative things people have said about her body, such as the entire lazy eye thread, saying she has a nice rack in this video isn't so bad IMO. Her boobs aren't what captivate me however. That bit is true.
Closed Thread