Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.09.08, 01:57 PM   #181
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
Maybe that's why Ringo took up smoking again.
I hope not! I don't want her voice to get raspier than it already is. I imagine she's a stress or habit smoker now at her age. She probably did it when she was younger for the image. Either way, I don't condone smoking for singers (or in general, obviously). Bad all around. I love when my favorite singers increase their chances to get lung cancer
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.08, 05:53 PM   #182
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by FadedSun View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic. Wasn't sure if her voice fit cabaret jazz as much as Maron Hamada. Hamada has that husky, smoker voice going more for her. Actually, here's one example where Ringo did a bit of Cabaret Jazz with Soil and Pimp Sessions. Are there any more?

Oh, here's one more. Don't think I've heard this one before. Okay, she's killing it. She should do more. Wonder why she hasn't worked with this band more often.
Maron Hamada has started to venture into rock (though that cabaret/60s and 70s pulp tinge never disappears) though- and it's pretty damn impressive, and it's got really nice production values. Her most recent single is a gem.

Regarding Ringo and SAPS- are you serious you don't know how many songs they've actually done together by now? It's quite a fair bit. They're never too far away. I do agree that they should do a full album together because I really think that would be a saving grace for Ringo. They get along like a house on fire and those tracks are usually the highlights of an album for me.

Anyway... was pretty excited, now I'm goddamn freaking out like a high school kid over it:
Honeymoon album trailer

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.09.08 at 06:17 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.09, 06:10 PM   #183
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

After listening to the new Passepied in full... gotta say.... it's probably best Japanese album I've heard this year. So amazing.

Actually, I'm overwhelmed by it. It's like they've been hiding in the shadows and only just come out to show us how fantastic they really are. Big surprise! Check it out, for your own sake.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.09.09 at 09:21 PM.
Old 2015.09.10, 04:08 AM   #184
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
After listening to the new Passepied in full... gotta say.... it's probably best Japanese album I've heard this year. So amazing.

Actually, I'm overwhelmed by it. It's like they've been hiding in the shadows and only just come out to show us how fantastic they really are. Big surprise! Check it out, for your own sake.
They have a new album?! Is it actually new? They have a Spotify account in NA and I noticed they had a "new" album in 2015 that was added, but it turned out to be entirely old tracks from previously albums and EPs all slapped together.

I remember posting some songs from them before and you being indifferent, DG. Change of heart?

Ah, yep. I see. They released a compilation album over the summer called Ozashiki Musique. New album is Shaba-Lover. Can't wait to listen to it later.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.10, 04:48 AM   #185
deadgrandma

Yeah.. this is miles above anything I've heard before from them. By a long shot
Old 2015.09.10, 09:12 AM   #186
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

^ Yeah, when I get home tonight I'm starting back on the rest of their catalog because I seriously don't remember this. Recency bias be damned, Tsukuri Hayashi is the best thing I've heard all year. Wish we had more synth this bold in the 2010s.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.11, 12:41 PM   #187
Pretsy

Pretsy is headed in the right direction

Really stoked about new Lana (unlike various "Born to Die"-stans who still believe that her early 2010s lyrical pretentiousness has its "uber alles oomph" over more thematic and coherent package that was "Ultraviolence")

Also, I am really angered about this act's latest release being still unavailable through gaijin means (e.g. jps) :
Really stoked about new Lana (unlike various "Born to Die"-stans who still believe that her early 2010s lyrical pretentiousness has its "uber alles oomph" over more thematic and coherent package that was "Ultraviolence")

Also, I am really angered about this act's latest release being still unavailable through gaijin means (e.g. jps) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFM8UarAuVw (so why are EM plugins not working for me??)
Pretsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.09.11, 04:30 PM   #188
deadgrandma

That video is freakin cool
Old 2015.09.16, 05:46 PM   #189
deadgrandma

Well... HONEYMOON...

It's absolutely what I wanted/needed right now. Del Rey just keeps getting more and more focussed with her whole approach. It's truly a beautiful listen from start to end. Born to Die stans are gonna be even further distanced by it, but those who enjoyed Ultraviolence are in for an even stronger album in that same vein.

While I see a lot of people WTF-ing over Salvatore, to me it's freaking mindblowing and the highlight of the album.

The Blackest Day is easily the darkest song she's ever recorded, and damn does it work.

24 is a top candidate for a Bond theme... just drips with atmosphere.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.09.16 at 06:22 PM.
Old 2015.09.17, 11:22 AM   #190
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

My CD hasn't arrived yet, I loved the released promo videos, and if it's really following up the mood of Ultraviolence then I can't fucking wait to hear it.
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote