Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.06.01, 10:14 AM   #11
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by jigenbakuda View Post
What is the difference between shibuya and shinjuku kei?
may I answer in the place of kprov?

Shibuya-kei

Shinjuku-kei

渾て獨りぼっちだから

Last edited by Lena-chan : 2008.06.01 at 10:17 AM.
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.01, 04:10 PM   #12
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Hmmm. That audiovisual explanation didn't really enlighten a vacant lameass like me. Shibuya-kei seems to be about the eclectic recontextualization of a variety of different world musics, and is a homage to the extraordinary music stores in Shibuya, undoubtedly some of the coolest on the planet.

Shinjuku? When I was there a while ago, it felt like just another huge, swarming, giant-ad filled Tokyo epicenter. I am n00b curious (yellow).
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.01, 08:23 PM   #13
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

Well, I would type that I read through all of your posts (AKA an avalanche of words), but I don't like to lie on the Lord's day.

I think Ringo was an angsty teenager/young adult dissatisfied with the world around her which resulted in Muzai Moratorium. Shouso Strip upped the ante angst-wise but kinda cemented her as a force to reckoned with.

Becoming pregnant mellowed her out (and improved her voice) as heard in Utaite Myori, and then broadened her perspective, gave her more worth writing/singing about and led to her real breakthrough (if you have to ask, wear a cranial on the toilet from now on).

I think forming Tokyo Jihen was a way for her to take a breather, and maybe she's been wracking her brain trying to whip up an album even better than KZK for these past three or so years. Time will tell if she's got it in her or not.

Anyway, I think jazz is her music of choice and what she does best. She's been threading jazz influences through the rock and the electronica and the alternative since the get-go and really let the cat out of the bag on Adult and HF.
Old 2008.06.01, 09:22 PM   #14
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Want to know what's Shinjuku-kei? Just listen to Muzai Moratorium/Shousou Strip. Shinjuku-kei is basically some genre made-up by SR (and possibly the evil geniuses at Toshiba-EMI) to market MM/SS. Other examples of Shinjuku-kei artists include... Tomosaka Rie, whose hit songs Shoujou Robot and Cappuccino are written by SR herself.

Originally Posted by jigenbakuda View Post
@Canto
Is she really the type of person that will try her best to incorporate other's ideas (even if it means sacrificing some of her own), just to show them, hey guy I like you? And for the record, when I meet shiina, I will mesmorize her... [size=1]Or resort to the chloroform [size=2]So I am hoping she is easily suggestible...
Have you even heard her songs before she incorporated Ukigumo into her band? Did you know what Toumei Ningen (granted, not an SR song, but still valid) sounded like before it got adulterated to somehow fit Ukigumo? ...and then you listen to the atrocity also known as Variety... do you know whose brilliant idea it was that SR outsource her songwriting to the band members? Her fans! Whichever idiots who wrote those letters to her literally broke her heart (I read this in some Variety interview), but she decided to go ahead anyway.

Tell me those are not sacrifices made in vain, because as sub-par as Variety is, I know at least someone out there actually liked those stuff.

So who's the real Shiina Ringo? I say sometime between 2003-2005, we saw the real, relaxed, at ease SR for the first time. I'd say any music she wrote in that period is her at her purest.
Old 2008.06.03, 03:14 PM   #15
Cosmo!

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Whichever idiots who wrote those letters to her literally broke her heart (I read this in some Variety interview), but she decided to go ahead anyway.
You really can't feel sorry for her. She's a grown-ass woman with a lot of clout who can make her own decisions, and she decided to put out an album as sub-par as Variety. She'll have to own up to that decision and we'll have to be willing to give her a fucking break already, given her track record and knowing what she's capable of. If Variety does one thing right, it proves that nobody in the band other than Ringo has any business writing songs, especially if his name starts with a U, ends with an I and rhymes with "pukey."
Old 2008.06.03, 03:26 PM   #16
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

If Variety was a big "fuck you" to her fans that said that stuff, as if to say "Here's how badass I am, watch how terrible this band would be without me." Then she'd get super-duper crazy rep in my book. If she were to release one good song tomorrow, and announce what I said above, in my book it would totally, 100% undo the now 24 months of sub-par-releases. History would go back and say "That Shiina Ringo, she was crazy awesome, she PUNK'd her own fans" In all honesty that'd probly be the most rawk thing in the history of rawk.

iPhase3!
Old 2008.06.03, 03:39 PM   #17
Cosmo!

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
If she were to release one good song tomorrow, and announce what I said above, in my book it would totally, 100% undo the now 24 months of sub-par-releases.
Her public self is much too polite and reserved to ever say anything like that, but you know she's thinking it in that crazy, neurotic brain of hers (all while laughing maniacally and roasting Uki over an open fire).
Old 2008.06.21, 07:30 AM   #18
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
If Variety was a big "fuck you" to her fans that said that stuff, as if to say "Here's how badass I am, watch how terrible this band would be without me." Then she'd get super-duper crazy rep in my book. If she were to release one good song tomorrow, and announce what I said above, in my book it would totally, 100% undo the now 24 months of sub-par-releases. History would go back and say "That Shiina Ringo, she was crazy awesome, she PUNK'd her own fans" In all honesty that'd probly be the most rawk thing in the history of rawk.

iPhase3!
That would bring tears of joy to my face
But why not go back to phase 0? That one was good and awesome.
Havin a band to play everything with here and have fun is good and fine, but why let them writey any songs?
I mean look at Jamioquai, Jay Kay is donig exactly this and what happened? His songs didn't drop in quality in 12 years!

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.21, 09:54 AM   #19
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I think the release of Mellow PV might be more important than what it looks. Important in the sense that it might relate to what you say/wish.
It would be nice to see that
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.21, 10:32 AM   #20
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

I like her.

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote