Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.10.04, 07:11 AM   #11
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I guess I gotta get used to the fact that no-one cares for SR/TJ-related discussion anymore (I can understand that because the more active members have been discussing since 2003 or 2004, and people have moved on)

Where are all the new members? People keep signing up then fading into obscurity. There must be newer members like me who want to talk about SR/TJ outside of Madonna-esque worship and animefanlish!

Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.04, 09:40 AM   #12
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by papilionidae View Post
why you say so? why? why you assume me hate you (or anybody) for an alternative translation? i'm not that irritable.

okay, now listen, the thing is like this:
Shinji told me he wanted to translate this interview, and asked me if i could help him with his translation. So he did the translation, and i revised it, that's all. to me it's just doing a favor to a firend (not helpful enough i know). I don't own the translation so i didn't post them here (though i helped). no stories behind the scene. see, there are countless countless fan blogs exist, each with more or less some mistakes, it's kinda unfair to aim at shinji, or me, or anyone. just focus on the mistakes or drawbacks, not the authors, would you?

i'm just doing what i can. i'm not a native speaker of japanese or english. though i passed jlpt level2 i still can't translate them in a perfect way. however if any non-native speakers ask my help, i will tell him/her that i'm not good enough in translation, still want my help? if the answer is yes, i will do as i did for shinji. i know, exactly, anyone who is proficient at japanese or english can do much better than me, yet not everyone has access to these people. so, why not just make your own translation, if you can translate them better? why can't we just discuss shiina ringo and her band?

come on, guys.
??? Sorry... but that translation was inaccurate. If you passed JLPT 2 then why would you translate a word being used to mean "person" as "method"? Since Scribble called it out, it seemed worthwhile that I speak up to say "Actually, it doesn't mean quite that" so no one has any misconceptions. Just because you're doing your best--which is seriously great, don't get me wrong--doesn't mean you get a free pass if you make a mistake.

If someone tells me I've translated something wrong, I suck up my pride and go fix it. No one is perfect. I make mistakes too--a lot! But this is not a constructive criticism free zone. People depend on accurate translations here, because otherwise misconceptions are going to get spread. Because that's so important, if you have a mistake, I'm going to point it out, especially if others are looking at that translation and drawing conclusions from it. I would expect the same from anyone else here regarding my own work.

*shrugs* It was nothing personal.

Also, when I said "Not to hate" that meant "Not to sound like I am hating on you" not "I hope you won't hate me for this."

(I'm sure Shinji will just take this as further proof of my arrogance! You're so right, Shinji, admitting I do make mistakes IS arrogance!! How did you know!)
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote