Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.02.27, 01:45 AM   #241
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

^ That's not hating. He's being lightly ironic about the occurrence of "I don't get the hate" as a meme, hence the "". I should know, I'm British and can't buy a pint of milk without using irony.

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I think Kao is a sweet song (Is that the song she sung with him in DO after If You Can Touch It? I haven't actually listened to the single version) However, Hirama compositions are a grass is greener affair (at least at first), because Yume no Negoto was horrid...
I liked When I Feel the Sun In Tokyo, or Sainara mainly I admit, but Hirama's guitarwork is beautiful. I only recently heard the B-side single version of Kao here, on YouTube. Don't know why all the flanging, but then I never really got the whole Kyoiku production thing. I always wanted that recording of Omatsuri Sawagi without the sandpaper treatment...
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.27, 04:56 AM   #242
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

To be quite honest, hate the get don't I.

As far as Hirama is concerned, I liked Black Bone Musicien Label. I thought he was supposed to be coming out with a new album.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.27, 05:31 AM   #243
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

aahh... I don't get it.

Aesthetic preference is a mysterious thing.

I'm not sure if anyone really 'gets' why they like or dislike something.
At least I don't.

Maybe it's like this... Our brain is a giant neural network. It gets trained to respond to signals from the environment so as to optimize... dopamine production or something. Somehow, your life history has molded your brain to respond the way it does.
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.27, 05:49 AM   #244
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

So the combination of living in the Scottish Highlands, being lactose intolerant and having your cousin steal your 4-in-one tamagotchi at age 7 means that you're likely to like Tasogari Naki and hate Genjitsu wo Warau.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.27, 06:45 AM   #245
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

Exactly! We have now confirmed the predictive power of my theory.

I experienced none of those things, implying that I should like both Tasogari Naki and Genjitsu wo Warau, which, in fact, is the case. QED.
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.27, 07:15 AM   #246
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

you know, when I focus on the vocals in Utenkekku the melody reminds me of Ringo's early style. I said the same thing about Gaman and it's hilarious to me because both songs were actually written by Izawa

I still don't like that song, though.

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Don't get the hate for Noriki :\... I really think it's one of the best tracks on the album, actually. The B-movie sound is brilliant IMO, and the chorus deserves a f-ing choreography.
Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
noriki- 4 stars - I don't get the hate for this song.
I knooooooow
Noriki is the tasty meat in the middle of the soggy FAIR/Sweet Spot sandwich
Old 2010.02.27, 07:27 AM   #247
憂い菩薩

憂い菩薩 is headed in the right direction

I really like the album, it really does sound like what Variety would have been had the songs been better :/

Ikiru (10/10) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the whole Queen vibe I get from this song. Also I'm a sucker for acapella harmony anyway, and I enjoy how it bursts into instruments. Plus, from what I understand of the lyrics, the words and melody are rather synergistic.

Denpa Tsuushin (7/10) I'm not really a fan of how artificial the keyboard sounds in this, but it's kind of catchy. This is going to be fun to sing along with, I think.

Season Sayonara (6/10) I like the piano, but this song really sounds like a SG b-side. This might be my least favorite on the album, actually.

Kachiikusa (10/10) I freakin love this song, it succeeds where Kaban No Nakami failed in the catchiness factor, methinks. This is her first song in English that I have no problems understanding all the lyrics, which is nice too. This is gonna be fun to sing along with too

FOUL (8/10) Kuronekodow meets BB.Queen by way of Service? It's very good, but honestly I prefer BB.Queen or Crawl if I'm gonna listen to the megaphone. It works well where it's placed on the album, that's for sure too.

Uten Kekkou (7/10) Not memorable, to me. It's....pretty, I guess. Soothing, maybe.

Noudouteki Sanpunkan (10/10) I've liked this song since it came out, and I like it as the center of the album. Electrofunk with an electric piano is always a good thing My head is bopping every time this song is on.

Zettai Zetsumei (9/10) Ooooooh that piano! Unrelenting is an adjective I could use. This song would get a ten but there are a few parts where I don't like Shiina's singing melody.

FAIR (9/10) Karada, if it were better. Also, Shiina's voice kind of gives me an Erykah Badu jazzy feel sometimes, a la "Tyrone", which I am totally 100% OK with. i don't usually notice the guitar in TJ songs, but I really like Ukigumo's solo in this song.

Noriki (6/10) This song is its chorus. The verses sound kind of awkward to me, but the chorus is really catchy, if not a little too JPop for my tastes. My other least favorite, I think.

Sweet Spot (8/10) Another version of Karada! I giggled a bit listening to it I like it, even if I don't take it very seriously

Senkou Shoujo (8/10) This is my favorite of their JPoppy tunes, by far. It's just so catchy! I just wish it were longer.

Kimaru (10/10) Oh my god I love this song. The beginning is so lovely, and once the song starts to climax it just demands your attention in kind of an Explosions in the Sky post-rock way. Very very epic and very very beautiful. A very strong ending to a good album.

I'm so glad I have another album to memorize, this'll occupy my time for months!
憂い菩薩 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.27, 10:12 AM   #248
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
^ That's not hating. He's being lightly ironic about the occurrence of "I don't get the hate" as a meme, hence the "". I should know, I'm British and can't buy a pint of milk without using irony.
LOL are you kidding me? that in itself is ironic because my post wasn't serious...and his original post wasn't ironic, it was sarcastic, and the fact that you confused the two is itself a bit ironic considering your comment....my mind is about to implode.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.27, 10:28 AM   #249
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

EMF poster in misinterpreting other poster's use of irony shock. I'm confused too.

In other news, I love Sweet Spot. I can't help it. I'm just helplessly programmed to like songs like that no matter how mainstream or generic and I think I know where Positron's coming from, so at least I'd be appreciative if he posted his parody. What can you do?

I know I post emotionally sometimes, but I can't relate to the buzzwords fans of this album cite: "refined", "professional", "coherent"... "Hey, what are you listening to?" "Coherence". If I knew what those words mean, would I like it more?
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.27, 10:36 AM   #250
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

Round Three:

Ikiru - The additional forty seconds did not improve the song for me.

Denpa Tsuushin - Kingyo no Hako Part 2, except I don't like the chorus.

Utenkekkou - It really isn't memorable, but I still like it.

Zettai Zetsumei - I actually like this one now; I love how her voice sounds.

Season Sayonara / Kachiikusa / FAIR / Sanpun / FOUL / Noriki / Sweet Spot / Senkou Shojou - Meh.

Kimaru
- Gives me hope for their future activities.

Overall Thoughts - Meh.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote