Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.02.24, 05:35 AM   #21
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

He he... no need to hold back, I've lurked in the forum long enough to know that I am probably in the minority here. In some ways, I'm quite interested in your derisive comments.
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.24, 05:50 AM   #22
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Muhahaa.

Trust me, it's not at all interesting. The same old "Die you sick f*ck! Rot in hell you deaf tasteless SOB, I hope the hounds of hell take their time ripping the flesh from your bones!!!"

Same old same old.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.24, 06:42 AM   #23
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
1. Which group are you in?
B. SECOND GROUP: someone who became a fan of Tokyo Jihen by way of Shiina Ringo (SR came first)

2. Let's parse out some differences.
B. SECOND GROUP: Would you really identify as a "fan" of TJ or as someone "tolerable" of TJ or as someone "morally and viscerally opposed" to TJ?
- I'm a fanboy. I still prefer Ringo's solo stuff, about Jihen, but I'm still a big fan.

3. How do you feel?
B. SECOND GROUP: that you sort of wish you were in the first group?
-I get your point, but I'd say "no". I think it's amazingly interesting being able to watch that whole development regarding Shiina-san's music... so I'm glad I already knew her, when she was non-TJ.
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.24, 07:14 AM   #24
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by D.K.Liu View Post
I've lurked in the forum long enough to know that I am probably in the minority here. \
Just remember, while it may be the minority here, it's not necessarily the case everywhere else. Of course musical preference is going to vary, but as I've said in the past my Japanese friend from Fukui told me that she and her friends (her words: "I think everyone...") love Tokyo Jihen but found solo Ringo annoying (probably mainly her persona). If you look on Youtube or Last.fm or a Japanese fan site, you'll see people praising Phase 2. The people here certainly aren't the only ones who prefer Phase 1 and who want Ringo to go back to her old style, but they may be the most dedicated to it.

(I don't know why I've been so zealous for Phase 2 lately... well, aside from the fact that I love them)

Last edited by fluffiethesock : 2009.02.24 at 07:20 AM.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.24, 07:16 AM   #25
cjhobbies00

The professional term for us "people" is zealots.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
Old 2009.02.24, 07:21 AM   #26
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Whoa, that's weird. I just switched my "dedicated" to "zealous." We're like brain buddies, jhobs!
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.24, 07:53 AM   #27
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Hiramo 4 president
Old 2009.02.24, 08:03 AM   #28
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Just remember, while it may be the minority here, it's not necessarily the case everywhere else. Of course musical preference is going to vary, but as I've said in the past my Japanese friend from Fukui told me that she and her friends (her words: "I think everyone...") love Tokyo Jihen but found solo Ringo annoying (probably mainly her persona). If you look on Youtube or Last.fm or a Japanese fan site, you'll see people praising Phase 2.
I suppose that to many Japanese people, Phase 2 Shiina Ringo is as talented a jazz vocalist as Ella Fitzgerald =P The only reason I don't think Tokyo Jihen Phase 2 are all that special is because there are PLENTY of musicians in the west that do what they're doing, but do it much better. Phase 2 is just an OK band. Solo Shiina Ringo (Ignoring the Alanis Morisette comparisons with MM) was at least a distinctive artist in her own right.

Also, I bet you that if I went to a few random people on the street and ask them what song they prefer out of Mirrorball and Souretsu, or Ramp and Shuukyou, they'd prefer the former each time, because one's easier to listen to for the other.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.24, 08:09 AM   #29
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I'd choose the track that was the most musically interesting over what sounded "easier" so you lose the bet!
Complex songs like Shuukyou & Souretsu are what made me like Shiina to begin with! not the easy stuff like Ramp and so on.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.24, 08:17 AM   #30
cjhobbies00

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Whoa, that's weird. I just switched my "dedicated" to "zealous." We're like brain buddies, jhobs!
Yes, it is often said that Hitler and Ghandhi are mirror images of each other.

(Just keeping up with the tone of the thread)