Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.07.20, 10:41 AM   #21
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

i think her last classic was Sounan i think that song just gets better and better and has withstood my constant listening unlike most/all of her more recent output! as for her solo offerings well i love Mayonaka best with Ringo No Uta a close second!
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.20, 04:04 PM   #22
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

The only answer I can give is "Ringo no Uta". That was ultimately her song where she took a bow as a solo artist and went into Tokyo Jihen. Also, I feel that it is her last song that truly had that classic Shiina Ringo feel to it. She still acted "young" at the time.

When she went into Tokyo Jihen and even when she made a semi-return to solo recordings with HF, she almost became a different artist. It's very much like Freddie Mercury's transition from long hair in the 70's to the short hair and moustache in the 80's. His songwriting style changed dramatically as well. It became much simpler and more mainstream. Both Ringos and Freddies seem like different people after the transformation.
Old 2008.07.20, 04:05 PM   #23
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Suberidai
Old 2008.07.20, 04:06 PM   #24
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Suberidai
xD
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.16, 04:31 PM   #25
hank

hank is headed in the right direction

...C'mon people, admit it:
Mayakashi Yasaotoko

Which only goes to prove that she'd still be capable of pulling just about anything in the future as well, right?
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.17, 07:03 AM   #26
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I'm working my way through her whole catalog, beginning with the full-length albums--listened to MM and SS yesterday. I'm using it as background music during work, and it's funny...I'm listening to the MoRA boxset versions, and at the end of that version of SS, which goes from Izonshou to Mayonaka wa Junketsu, there is a HUGE leap in that transition---a refreshing one.

Mayonaka, frankly, is for me the single that marked the end of old-school SR and the beginning of new-school that *includes* Tokyo Jihen.

So my answer to the (old) thread question is "Izon-shou."
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.19, 09:33 PM   #27
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

I like reading Glaths post on KYNK. I never really thought of that song not belonging because I never listened to Heisei as a fluid album like I do her other albums.

I think HF though was the last release that I feel still has everything that kept me so interested for so long,despite it being a bit of a mess. At first I couldn't appreciate this because of expectations and because I was thirsting for something all-new but it produced some of my favorite tracks, most noteably Hatsukoi Shoujo.

I did really love about 30% of her songs since then (haven't hated too many although Fukushuu makes me want some Revenge) but after getting used to HF, I had absolutely no complaints about either Ringo or Jihen and could listen to all but maybe 3-5 songs in her whole catelouge without ever getting bored.

Variety
Sanom Gossip
Adult
...all part of the nu-Ringo to me, which in itself was not bad but certainly does not belong on a pedastel as something ultra-inspiring. Just Ultra-C...ok lame pun.

As for the last straw (has someone made a last straw thread?) that did irreversable damage to my opinion of her as an artist...that would be dopamint product tie-in. Anyone who knows me may realize I haven't been here much since it was released (at least not in Ringo-related threads). I may anticipate new releases and like songs and come here sometimes for you guys but my respect for her work as art has a big ugly scar on it that will likely never ever heal.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.19, 09:35 PM   #28
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
The only answer I can give is "Ringo no Uta". That was ultimately her song where she took a bow as a solo artist and went into Tokyo Jihen. Also, I feel that it is her last song that truly had that classic Shiina Ringo feel to it. She still acted "young" at the time.

When she went into Tokyo Jihen and even when she made a semi-return to solo recordings with HF, she almost became a different artist. It's very much like Freddie Mercury's transition from long hair in the 70's to the short hair and moustache in the 80's. His songwriting style changed dramatically as well. It became much simpler and more mainstream. Both Ringos and Freddies seem like different people after the transformation.
haha more Ringo/Mercury connections...nice.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.20, 08:23 AM   #29
last_blue

last_blue pleased at least somebody

yokyou
last_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.20, 08:46 AM   #30
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
i think her last classic was Sounan i think that song just gets better and better and has withstood my constant listening unlike most/all of her more recent output! as for her solo offerings well i love Mayonaka best with Ringo No Uta a close second!

Quoting myself from back in the day!

been getting back into the old apple recently and I still feel exactly the same. Mayonaka from the solo days just never gets old and Sounan with the boys is as fresh today as it ever was.

As for second best I'm opting for Mellow over Ringo no Uta as it's awesome.

Ahh, the whole initial solo career stuff is still gold (except Gips).
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote