Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.12.03, 04:16 PM   #341
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

When I watch EM Tsumi to Batsu I feel privileged to be able to watch this song, that seems to come from someone's deepest heart and soul. If she'd never performed that song again, I'd understand. You get arrangements that are quite different from anything from the studio and watch fantastic instrumentalists playing very unique compositions at the Budokan: sure, all concert DVDs are like that...

Watching it is like watching a dream, you remember images: Ringo painting the band's nails; Hirama's silhouette projected large against the stage wall during rehearsal. I'll remember visuals like that as well as I do from any film I like. I won't argue against the idea that DO is better shot and edited, and just going off YouTube I actually like the pretty interludes on JCHI, but the photography on EM ain't bad either...

Anyway, yay, totally off-topic today.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.03, 06:04 PM   #342
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Electric Mole and Dynamite are the greatest things Ringo-hime has ever graced us with. Music above all. Fuck the cheap theatrics of Ringo Expo and the lame music videos of JCHI. The only negative of EM is the placement of the non-concert segments. That's what the skip button is for.
Old 2009.12.03, 06:16 PM   #343
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

dude, Maou, Spa + Treatment is he best thing she ever did. The newer the better. If EM and DO were so good, why are they so not new?

ugh EMF. How far you have fallen....
Old 2009.12.03, 06:21 PM   #344
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Did u guys forget about that hilarious sports interlude in EM?
Let me refresh your memory.

EM Sports Intro
Old 2009.12.03, 08:01 PM   #345
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

You get fed enough shit and people start accepting it as quality Electric Mole & Dynamite Out boring? I'm not having that one bit! granted, the journey of the mole segments are trash but the musical aspect of those shows still eclipse all she's done since. If I want dancing and fireworks I'll go to the theatre.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.03, 09:55 PM   #346
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the visual aspect of both EM and DO are what I consider boring. why is that so highly offensive? Preferably, I'd like Ringo to be talented enough to put on a crazy show while maintaining the highest level or quality in her performance, but knowing her that ain't going to happen. My preference is to have an interesting show over a static and intense show. EM was just too much, its too long, to heavy, and too intense. I'm glad you guys are so protective over a concert, but the pedestal you place it on is crazy. I'm not saying JCHI or Expo are anywhere near the level of quality in sonic performance of EM or DO, but as far as an actual visual performance, they lack a bit of showmanship. now, can we agree to disagree and put our dicks away, oi vey.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.03, 10:05 PM   #347
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
(EM/DO) lack a bit of showmanship
You're a moron.
Old 2009.12.03, 11:21 PM   #348
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
oi vey.
The only dismay I feel here is the attempt to reduce the stature of her landmark shows against utterly unworthy competition. There seems to be an air of trying to pretend these shows weren't as good as they were, now if that helps people accept what they get now then fair enough but it's clearly false.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.04, 12:37 AM   #349
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

While I understand that a concert is a visual as well as aural experience, I only find the visual part really important if either A. I'm there or B.The artist is also a 'performer'/puts on a good show. Her mild eccentricity aside, I don't think Ringo is that kind of performer, and so I really get nothing out of her doing 'that kind of show.' However, I think the spectacle in both concerts is that there's no studio, no over-production, just musicians pouring their heart and soul into performing their music AND managing to surpass, for the most part, what they managed to achieve with the 'help' of the studio.

Although the songs in Dynamite Out aren't as 'clever' or 'unique' as the KZK ones, I easily see Dynamite Out as the KZK of Tokyo Jihen (And not based on lowered standards). It blew me away, and as I wasn't really familiar with music at the time, it changed my perception of what a concert could be. Saw them more as a novelty before.

If a concert for a musician is really going to have an impact on you, which it clearly can, is it going achieve this via lights and dancers, or is it going to do this via the music?

This is full of hyperbole, but I love the concerts so much! They're not some universal works of art (Showed bits to people who would admit that Ringo/Jihen are clearly talented, but didn't enjoy them), but I think they're pretty perfect.

I think, kuro, that these concerts are 'close' to this forum (Or ingrained in the mythos -- ha, what do I know) that even if you have valid points, people aren't going to be fair anyway. It's like going to the RPG Codex forum and saying that Dragon Quest is better than Baldur's Gate or something. To join, you have to have your head hung back, and your mouth opened wide ready for the members to ram their opinions down your throats, then when a naysayer comes along you have to be able to regurgitate those opinions and vomit them down the innocent naysayer's throat.

Did I really bring an RPG forum into this? I'm not even signed up there...
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.04, 02:03 PM   #350
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
While I understand that a concert is a visual as well as aural experience, I only find the visual part really important if either A. I'm there or B.The artist is also a 'performer'/puts on a good show. Her mild eccentricity aside, I don't think Ringo is that kind of performer, and so I really get nothing out of her doing 'that kind of show.' However, I think the spectacle in both concerts is that there's no studio, no over-production, just musicians pouring their heart and soul into performing their music AND managing to surpass, for the most part, what they managed to achieve with the 'help' of the studio.

Although the songs in Dynamite Out aren't as 'clever' or 'unique' as the KZK ones, I easily see Dynamite Out as the KZK of Tokyo Jihen (And not based on lowered standards). It blew me away, and as I wasn't really familiar with music at the time, it changed my perception of what a concert could be. Saw them more as a novelty before.

If a concert for a musician is really going to have an impact on you, which it clearly can, is it going achieve this via lights and dancers, or is it going to do this via the music?

This is full of hyperbole, but I love the concerts so much! They're not some universal works of art (Showed bits to people who would admit that Ringo/Jihen are clearly talented, but didn't enjoy them), but I think they're pretty perfect.

I think, kuro, that these concerts are 'close' to this forum (Or ingrained in the mythos -- ha, what do I know) that even if you have valid points, people aren't going to be fair anyway. It's like going to the RPG Codex forum and saying that Dragon Quest is better than Baldur's Gate or something. To join, you have to have your head hung back, and your mouth opened wide ready for the members to ram their opinions down your throats, then when a naysayer comes along you have to be able to regurgitate those opinions and vomit them down the innocent naysayer's throat.

Did I really bring an RPG forum into this? I'm not even signed up there...
I appreciate your well thought out comments. well spoken. I've been a member since the move to the new forums and before that I was at the old forums for quite some time. I've been a fan since since SS-era Ringo was alive and kicking and I've followed each release as they have come out, and there are aspects I enjoy and dislike about each. What I like and dislike about EM or DO is vastly different from what I like or dislike about JCHI or EXPO. I mean, I have the right to say I find them boring, just as any other member (and there are a few repeat offenders) has the right to only log in to bitch and moan about new releases. This community thrives on members such as yourself, someone who is interested in having a conversation, not just a "your a moron" type of comment. That being said, I think the EM DVD is boring, I don't care who that pisses off. If that is offensive to anyone to the point where they spend time and energy trying to make me look or feel stupid, I can't help but just feel sorry for them.

concerning Ringo's performances, I sense that the type of epic show like EXPO, the over-the-top variety-special aspect of it all is, based on interviews I've seen/read from her, something she enjoys. EM might have some great performances, but I doubt you'll find a performance on there where she is smiling the way she is on Onion Song together with her brother, or feel the sheer spectacle of the end of Omatsuri Sawagi. That isn't for everyone, I know, and perhaps her vocal performance leaves something to be desired to some, but I thought it was a whole lot of fun and provides for much more of an interesting watching experience as a home viewer. And I could tell the show meant something to Ringo too, which is always nice. I don't always like her "cooler than skool" attitude that she puts off during Jihen and old school shows. Having read interviews and followed her through the years, it comes off more and more as a mask to hide her desire to do other things, such as EXPO. I'd rather she had fun and created music she was passionate about, whether it be rock or jazz or what not, rather than feel like she has to buy into this image of her persona that the industry has labeled her with.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.12.04 at 02:07 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote