Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.03.25, 06:47 PM   #351
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Yeah, but the instrumental section here...

It's really not amazing like she has had in previous shows. It's certainly not bad but I really want more than what's on display here. I think Souretsu at Virgin Line destroys this version for example.

The only time I really got impressed by the instrumental section is on the Ichigo Ichie track, where the instrumentalists got their own spotlights. Other than that there wasn't really anything to get blown away by. Even that amazing accordian player was lost in the mix.

And lets talk about the guitar work here... pretty damn average. Maou pointed it out early on when initial thoughts about it were coming out but it all seems to be overlooked. I remember a few years back when if the guitar player was less than stellar, there'd be vocal outcry. This show has pretty damn weak guitar playing quite a lot of the time and noone seems to care- they are all focused on Ringo's voice.

It's just an observation on how the Ringo community has changed. It's not necessarily a bad thing- I'm glad people are enjoying what I think is pretty run-of-the-mill stuff. Maybe it's because those people from before have just left and don't care anymore or maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

I seem like I HATE this show, but I really don't. There's a lot to like (the stage work is undeniably awesome, but you don't HEAR the stage later when you make an audio rip). There is. But... there's also 2 other shows that are very, very similar to me that don't have Sunny songs in the setlist :-p

Also, when it comes to the dancers... IDEVIAN CREW 4 LYF HOMIES. They're just so much more uniquely "Ringo" to me for some reason. I had accepted them as part of the whole package, just like Saito Neko and SAPS. Aya and Bambi, I just find fleeting.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.03.25 at 07:02 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.25, 06:55 PM   #352
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

That's a fair point. The band did seem a little on the generic side and it would have been nice to see some fresher arrangements. And you're right, the guitar work did seem to be lacking. Also, Ukigumo should be physically restrained from attempting to rap.

I have not seen the Virgin Line version of Souretsu that you are referring to, but I would love to. It doesn't seem to be listed in any of the lists of releases I have seen. Was it recorded/made available for sale, or was it in-person only?

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2015.03.25 at 07:08 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.25, 07:14 PM   #353
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

It was broadcast on TV (a Jihen show), it has a choir in it, you can get the Souretsu part on the Jihen "Chin Play Kou Play" DVD/Blu Ray in high quality.

Or watch on youtube quality:

Souretsu

Rewatching now, spine chills. Now THIS is an epic rendition.

But yeah, if you can get it, get the blu ray version, it's cleaned up and sounds amazing.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.03.25 at 07:19 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.25, 07:15 PM   #354
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I seem like I HATE this show, but I really don't.
I heard something like this about Sunny too but now that guy badmouths the album every opportunity he gets.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.25, 07:23 PM   #355
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
I heard something like this about Sunny too but now that guy badmouths the album every opportunity he gets.
WHO WOULD EVER BADMOUTH SUNNY!
Old 2015.03.25, 07:26 PM   #356
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

WOW. OK, that was pretty freaking awesome. I'm still not sure whether I like this version or the Expo '14 version better, but...damn. I'm definitely going to have to get Chin Play Kou Play now. I had thought it was just clips from the other shows that had been released...
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.25, 07:27 PM   #357
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
WOW. OK, that was pretty freaking awesome. I'm still not sure whether I like this version or the Expo '14 version better, but...damn. I'm definitely going to have to get Chin Play Kou Play now. I had thought it was just clips from the other shows that had been released...
Most of it is, but it has 4 songs from that Virgin Line show on it that make it worth watching.
Old 2015.03.25, 08:07 PM   #358
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Actually I'm just altogether perplexed as to why she would perform such a 'niche' song (Souretsu) twice (aesthetically it doesn't really fit it that much to the Expo show), and consistenly ignore THE SONG from KSK that I've been wanting her to perform forever (i.e. Shuukyou)
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.25, 08:11 PM   #359
deadgrandma

Yeah I've always wondered that too.

Guess you'll just have to stick with the cocktease version (Expo 08) for now.

Oh well, Expo 18 isn't that far away :-p
Old 2015.03.25, 10:01 PM   #360
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Dynamite Out > Electric Mole ≥ Ringo Expo '08 > Ultra C ≥ ZX = GX = Ringo Expo '14 > Toutokai

I think these are the cream of the crop when it comes to concert releases. The others have great individual performances here and there but are inconsistent compared to the above.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote