Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.11.11, 09:03 PM   #31
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

You're killing me, Fluffie. You like Shiseikatsu but not Senkou Shoujo @__@?? Senkou Shoujo is not the best song evarr, but I find it more entertaining than Shiseikatsu which just seems pretty weak to me.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.12, 11:00 AM   #32
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Folks, remember the rules:

http://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=15

2. Do not flame (insult, degrade, intentionally offend) other members, especially on the board but also through private messages. Heated debate is okay, but racial slurs, death wishes, etc are all out of the question.

http://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=457

5. Threadcrapping/trolling. If your first post in a thread is going to be something along the lines of "this thread is stupid," do not post. It's that simple.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.12, 11:13 AM   #33
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Hedofloe View Post
You're killing me, Fluffie. You like Shiseikatsu but not Senkou Shoujo @__@?? Senkou Shoujo is not the best song evarr, but I find it more entertaining than Shiseikatsu which just seems pretty weak to me.
I agree with this statement. I'm guessing people who don't like Kameda's compositions also don't like L'Arc~en~Ciel since they're so similar. The Dynamite Toumei Ningen sounded straight off a L'Arc album.
Old 2007.11.12, 12:19 PM   #34
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

I like Tomei Ningen, Superstar, and Shiseikatsu, though the third is definitely the weakest in my opinion. I think either Shiseikatsu or Pinocchio could have been placed as track four in the album and it would have had the same effect.

Senkou Shoujo is a song I listen to, but I don't consider it anything special for this band. It honestly sounds like something anyone could have done. The guitar is too.. normal. It's not powerful or varied like a Hirama guitar, and it's not creative or fun like an Uki guitar.

Of course, these words used to describe guitar playing styles are coming from someone who doesn't play guitar.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.12, 02:29 PM   #35
HEDOfloe

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I agree with this statement. I'm guessing people who don't like Kameda's compositions also don't like L'Arc~en~Ciel since they're so similar. The Dynamite Toumei Ningen sounded straight off a L'Arc album.
Hmm, I really like all of Kameda's compositions, with the exception of Shiseikatsu, which I don't hate, but it really does not move me. I don't like L'arc en ciel, but I was introduced to them a long time ago so I might like them now, although I doubt it.

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
I like Tomei Ningen, Superstar, and Shiseikatsu, though the third is definitely the weakest in my opinion. I think either Shiseikatsu or Pinocchio could have been placed as track four in the album and it would have had the same effect.
Oh, I think Pinocchio is faaar better than Shiseikatsu. I really love the emotion, especially from Ringo's voice in Pinocchio. I've never tried making a playlist with Pinocchio in place of Shiseikatsu, but I most likely would like it better anyway. I think I might like Senkou Shoujo more than Toumei Ningen, or at least close to even, but I definitely think Superstar is his best song so far.
Old 2007.11.12, 04:37 PM   #36
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Now Tomei Ningen is a tough cookie. I love the Dynamite Out, JCHI, and Bokura no Ongaku versions, and the album version is up there too, but I do think the Uki guitar works better when it's done live.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.12, 05:57 PM   #37
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I'm sorry NIMH Rat.

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Senkou Shoujo... I don't consider it anything special for this band. It honestly sounds like something anyone could have done. The guitar is too.. normal.
Maybe we finally agree on something now fluffie.
I think the songs SR wrote when she was 15 were better than the songs Kameda writes now (and he's maybe 45 years old). I like him much more as a bass player/producer, but songwriting, not so much.
I still think the video is stupid though.
Old 2007.11.12, 09:19 PM   #38
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I'm sorry NIMH Rat.

Maybe we finally agree on something now fluffie.
I think the songs SR wrote when she was 15 were better than the songs Kameda writes now (and he's maybe 45 years old). I like him much more as a bass player/producer, but songwriting, not so much.
I still think the video is stupid though.
are you aware of just how Kameda has played a part in writing for other bands? The man is a hit machine, he has penned more hits and worked/produced more top-selling bands than many others in the industry, let alone Ringo. I'm not a huge fan of Shiseikatsu because of the way it was mastered...I like the verse but the chorus just sounds....not quite right, but I think in a live environment it would work. Speaking of which, does anyone remember what Kameda said about these works? That he was composing them to try and write music that suits Ringo as she was during her debut, aka he wanted to write songs that the old Ringo would have sung. Honestly, Senkou Shoujo does fit with that theme I think....I think what kills it is the total sound, the way it was produced. Stripped down and worked around a little I think the song and especially the melody and vocal line is strong enough to be a great song. The problem, if any, that TJ has been having lies in the production of its recent work...sometimes this happens when artists start to produce their own work. I'm guessing with the song writing out-sourced to band members, production became a team effort rather than one member (kameda) looking over the overall sound.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.12, 09:24 PM   #39
HEDOfloe

^ Hmm, that's an interesting point. I guess thats why they called the album Variety, since they were trying to do different things instead of letting Kameda do it all.
Old 2007.11.12, 09:30 PM   #40
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

well they say that Kameda was largely the main player behind the creative forces in Adult and that whole theme, so it doesn't surprise me. Honestly, having heard a little of Petrolz and Appa, Variety-era TJ sounds similar, which says to me that the individual result of each song was probably left largely to the original song-writer or band as whole, whereas previously I see probably Ringo and Kameda as the ring-leaders. This time around though...I think Uki and Izawa definitely controlled how things ended up sounding. As to why Shiseikatsu ended up so askew...who knows, maybe Kameda was asleep, XD

I like the start a lot, Ringo with light guitar. If it kept this overall feel, with a little piano coming in and building up dramatically I would like the song. Otherwise....I think the guitar just ends up sounding crunchy and off and the overall song deviates from the sound of the verse...the verse is awesome though.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote