Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.10.02, 06:27 PM   #411
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I criticize that I have to buy the album twice to get all content. But that's more against AVEX than anything :-p

Good enough for you? (But seriously, Ringo's album promises 7 old songs, a slow jazz number (that is admittedly good) and a run of the mill no frills ballad lead in single. Oomori's promises 11 new songs and 2 amazing lead in singles that haven't worn out their OK TO PUT ON A NEW ALBUM stage... is all I'm pointing out here :-p).

Anyway, to me, this is studio album 3 (to be honest, Zettai Shoujo and Mahou Ga still sound damn fresh to me :-p). To AVEX, it's her debut album. So fucking weird how things work in Japan.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.10.02 at 06:47 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.03, 05:41 AM   #412
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

According to the new OTOTOY article, she's gone with "洗脳/Senno" as the album title...

This roughly translates to "Brainwashing"

This album is soooooooo about me and my heavy stanning.
Old 2014.10.03, 08:01 AM   #413
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

I said before in the Ringo thread, but I still don't see a need to compare them, or their releases. Here we have a young girl in the stage of her creative peak, and a woman who's already been there and is essentially winding down but still putting out quality music. Oomori has nothing but respect for Ringo from her recent covers to the obvious homage to the SS album cover on Mahou Ga. For all we know we might not have Oomori if it wasn't for Ringo. If Ringo knows anything about Oomori is another story.

I have high hopes and expectations for this album though. While I felt Mahou Ga and Zettai were good albums, they lacked something that I want her to remedy in this release. Zettai dragged in its later moments and shouldn't have been that long. I want this album to be her definitive album.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.03, 08:10 AM   #414
deadgrandma

I don't think this album will beat Mahou Ga (perhaps she never will), AVEX release will no doubt be a little bit easier to handle for new audiences- but it will still be awesome.
Old 2014.10.03, 05:22 PM   #415
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
AVEX release will no doubt be a little bit easier to handle for new audiences- but it will still be awesome.
I would normally not want that, but in Oomori's case, an easy-to-handle release is all I want from her. At this point, the only release I can handle is her Kyuru Kyuru single. I can't listen to her two previous albums without skipping some tracks. I like her, but she can be too intense for my ears. I try to dig the Ringo resemblance, but they are so different that it's impossible for me to compare them, at least musically.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.03, 06:05 PM   #416
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
I would normally not want that, but in Oomori's case, an easy-to-handle release is all I want from her. At this point, the only release I can handle is her Kyuru Kyuru single. I can't listen to her two previous albums without skipping some tracks. I like her, but she can be too intense for my ears. I try to dig the Ringo resemblance, but they are so different that it's impossible for me to compare them, at least musically.
Have you tried the Seiko Oomori x Lai Lai Lai Team collaboration album? Like (Jihad???) said, it's basically Mahou Ga with the edges smoothed down ~basically meaning most have traditional pop rock structure/no Oomori and guitar only songs. Most people who aren't as masochistic as I am with their music taste would likely find it easiest to start there. And also, just cause it might be a smoother listen, doesn't mean it's any less worth listening to. Just not as hot as the mean girls (Mahou and Zettai).

Oh and it also has my preferred version of Midnight Seijun Isei Koyuu (the non-idol pop rendition). This release came out between the two solo albums. Check it out if you haven't already, its less than 30 mins total so you have nothing to lose really :-p
Oomori x Lai Lai Lai Team

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.10.03 at 06:19 PM.
Old 2014.10.04, 12:58 PM   #417
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

According to her staff's twitter account, she's flown to NY today. Wonder what she's doing there. I haven't seen any live show announcements.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.04, 03:21 PM   #418
deadgrandma

Break? Marc Jacobs fashion show? :-p

I secretly hope some kind of John Zorn project...

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.10.04 at 03:25 PM.
Old 2014.10.04, 03:43 PM   #419
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post

I secretly hope some kind of John Zorn project...
Ha! Now THAT would be an interesting project.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.10.04, 07:27 PM   #420
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

Akiko Yano just performed with a shamisen player at the Japan Society building in Manhattan the last couple of nights. I wonder if they'll do anything together.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote