Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.05.01, 04:51 AM   #571
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Well, I don't want the writers to be lazy. They should come up with a good background-god story, and not some bullshit just to tie the lose ends in the worst possible way.
It's the same with science. They could be lazy and then just say "well, fuck you, it was all virtual reality".
They won't do that, because it's dumb, just as they wouldn't just say "well, god made it happen" if they choose my way.

Give god a reason why he does that. Let it be circumstance or an antagonist. Man trying to reach immortality. Interrupting the cycle of the universe by making the island gods effort to stop the end of the world/universe/whatever. Let "god/jacob" be one of the losties, trying to fix things in the next cycle. WHATEVER.
I would like an amamzing backgroundstory in that direction more than all the talk about faith and destiny in all the seasons to just be the result of course correction.

I guess we just have different tastes in what we want, so we can't argue about that, I just don't want you to think that the mystical explanation would instantly be dumb and boring

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.01, 05:27 AM   #572
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I get what you're saying, but because it's wouldn't really be an explanation, I wouldn't find it satisfying at all. Creating a God, and then giving him a reason and a why for doing things doesn't explain how it is done and how it works, and that is what I like theorising about. There is also the fact that most Americans that watch the show will believe in the Christian God so I don't think the writers would invent a new island God that directly contradicts a lot of the viewers actual beliefs which is why I think any mystical reasons they do give will be deliberately ambiguous.

It's odd because I'm probably against those ideas because I'm a staunch Atheist and a big believer in Science, but that doesn't stop Locke being my favourite character and I love his faith in the island. I just don't think that faith has to play out in the traditionally magical way. You can have faith in Science and faith in people and seamingly magical events, even if they turn out to be fully explanational. Having said that, the Galactica finale completely split the viewers and I should have hated it, but I found it oddly satisfying. I guess whatever happens at the end of Lost, a lot of people are going to be pissed and a lot of people are going to love it.
Old 2009.05.01, 05:38 AM   #573
golem09

I don't care how it works, as long as I know the reason for it's creation and thus the beginning of it's existence

And I just can't ignore all the stuff that I've seen so far. The fortune teller Claire met, the stuff Locke was shown in his smoke hut by Boone, the dreams, the stuff about Aaron being so special, Lockes Dad, Ben shivering in front of the smoke monster, No matter how they put it, a scientific explanation would not be satisfying for me.

I just hope you don't know more about that because of the spoiler you read, and me discussing this is stupid because you already know how it's decided to be xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiMWzVWUihQ

Promo and preview pictures baaad

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.05.01, 06:23 AM   #574
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
And I just can't ignore all the stuff that I've seen so far. The fortune teller Claire met, the stuff Locke was shown in his smoke hut by Boone, the dreams, the stuff about Aaron being so special, Lockes Dad, Ben shivering in front of the smoke monster, No matter how they put it, a scientific explanation would not be satisfying for me.
Well that depends. You're looking at it as if they've done some really weird stuff and now they're thinking about how to explain it in a satisfying way. I imagine they will have thought of how something works before they do it. They won't just say "OK let's make a smoke monster" and then 2 years later think "Damn, how are we going to explain this with science?". They will have said "OK, since we're introducing time travel, why not have a nano-machine monster from the future roam the island?" (obviously not viable because they've denied nano-machines, it was just an example). Thus the explanations are not only satisfying, they're the fundamental basis for what it is anyway. I don't even think they'll return to stuff like Claire's fortune teller. That was just something creepy to put in an episode, and it'll be one of the things that Science may not be able to explain that they'll leave ambiguous.

I just hope you don't know more about that because of the spoiler you read, and me discussing this is stupid because you already know how it's decided to be xD
The spoiler I read was fairly vague but it involves a big direction the show might be going in. It doesn't really have much to do with Science or fate. I really hope it isn't the big moment at the end of the season. If I've spoiled that for myself I'll cry
Old 2009.05.01, 07:50 AM   #575
golem09

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
I really hope it isn't the big moment at the end of the season. If I've spoiled that for myself I'll cry
Yeah, that would indeed suck very much

^I know that they thought of everything beforehand, but if that turns out to be scientific, I don't think it would fit much.

EDIT: I don't like the way the promo takes. I hope the past CAN'T be changed at all. I was so glad when lost introduced this.

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.05.01, 08:05 AM   #576
Inaudible-Whisper

^I know that they thought of everything beforehand, but if that turns out to be scientific, I don't think it would fit much.
Well, some things would and some things wouldn't. Things like Locke's resurrection, as I said, will struggle to be explained with Science. But I honestly think the Smoke Monster can and will be. The noises it makes, the electricity and "Catastrophic malfunction of Ceberus system" on the blast door map... a natural creature just doesn't make sense to me.

EDIT: I don't like the way the promo takes. I hope the past CAN'T be changed at all. I was so glad when lost introduced this.
They won't change the past. Darlton have spent too long drilling "whatever happened happened" into our heads to turn it around, and they said on the podcast that they never want a show where the past/future can be changed like on Heroes because it gets messy and the fate of a character holds no weight if it can be changed at any moment. Obviously Jack is going to try to change the past, likely with dire consequences.
Old 2009.05.01, 09:24 AM   #577
golem09

Maybe Jack will die

or live on and become his own father xD

MyAnimelist
Old 2009.05.01, 10:03 AM   #578
Inaudible-Whisper

I was thinking that y'know. What bigger shock would there be than to kill off your main character a season early? I don't think they'll do it, but it's interesting... Sawyer is another one I'm worried about. There is a big death in the finale, as far as I know, and my prediction is Sayid.
Old 2009.05.02, 03:35 PM   #579
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

puh, this episode pissed me off. I feel like Faraday still had a lot to do and this was kinda bullshit. ugh. But it was cool to have it confirmed that he is Ellie's and Charles's son. Who is Penny's mom!??!
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.02, 04:18 PM   #580
golem09

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
puh, this episode pissed me off. I feel like Faraday still had a lot to do and this was kinda bullshit. ugh. But it was cool to have it confirmed that he is Ellie's and Charles's son. Who is Penny's mom!??!
Kate

And still:
What is up with that video from the comicon?

MyAnimelist