Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2008.02.25, 06:52 AM   #621
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

It took me a little while to love it, so that's not necessarily the absolute truth. But I do respect your opinion since you've listened to it, and I agree that Variety has its weaknesses.

I do enjoy the album much more than the concert, that's for sure. There were a lot of good songs in Spa & Treatment, but also a lot that disappointed me. Variety, on the other hand, besides Mirror Ball, was lovely.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.25, 07:54 AM   #622
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock View Post
Yeah, maybe not. But I'd still rather such strong negative statements be backed up by several listens to the material. Otherwise they're just ignorant and a waste of everyone's (maybe not everyone's) time.
And just how do you know that those of us who dislike Variety haven't given it "several listens?" I've listened to Variety the most out of any Tokyo Jihen album, hoping to find something good buried beneath the (for lack of a better word) shit. Sure, OSCA and Killer Tune are good songs, but that's sad. The album's two singles are good, while the album's non-single tracks are just awful.

Why the Hell did I waste money on this album when I could have just sat my five-year-old deaf cousin down and had her play the recorder for me?
Old 2008.02.25, 08:18 AM   #623
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I really have listened to Variety more times than is apparent here. The problem here is the band doesn't seem to try for better than 'inoffensive.' And sure they achieve that in all but a few cases -- but so what? What happened to trying for greatness? Some songs could have been good, but questionable production choices held the songs down (ie: Izawa sabatoging tsukigime-hime)

I still maintain the three best songs they recorded were not on the album.

Osca is ok, but un-noteworthy I feel. No real hook. But am I really the only one that thinks KT sounds so despicable?
Old 2008.02.25, 09:10 AM   #624
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post

I still maintain the three best songs they recorded were not on the album.
Hmm...Pinocchio, Senkou Shoujo and Kaban no Nakami? Or does BB Queen figure in there somewhere? In any event, I think the first three are much better than anything on the album, OSCA and Killer Tune (barely) not included.

Osca is ok, but un-noteworthy I feel. No real hook. But am I really the only one that thinks KT sounds so despicable?
This is very sad, but when I say a Variety-era Tokyo Jihen song is "good," I really mean it's "not atrocious." Our polite old lady needs to get with the program.
Old 2008.02.25, 10:26 AM   #625
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

The OsCake is a lie!

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.25, 03:28 PM   #626
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Also, Put Your Camera Down is a beautiful song. Normally I'm not a lyrics guy, but the lyrics are beautiful.

The stars are beautiful. My fingers are beautiful.
Old 2008.02.26, 05:03 PM   #627
monad

monad is an asset to this community

Most everyone here's probably seen it, but for those who haven't, there's a sped-up version of PYCD that works really well. Not quite as good as Senko Shojo, but with a little more polish and a more elaborate drum part, it would have been great.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HD5kyooMLrA
monad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.27, 09:30 AM   #628
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by monad View Post
Most everyone here's probably seen it, but for those who haven't, there's a sped-up version of PYCD that works really well. Not quite as good as Senko Shojo, but with a little more polish and a more elaborate drum part, it would have been great.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HD5kyooMLrA
Hmm, this is my favorite version of that song. I don't know if it's just that I'm more receptive to the English lyrics, but I really like it better than SS and the normal-slow PYCD.
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.28, 12:28 PM   #629
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Also, Put Your Camera Down is a beautiful song. Normally I'm not a lyrics guy, but the lyrics are beautiful.
Same here. I always appreciate good lyrics, and some really get me, but it's not the main reason I listen to music (otherwise, I wouldn't be listening to Japanese music). I find these lyrics really touching and I like how Ringo manages to catch all this emotion without singing with so much power. This is the main reason I was a little disappointed about the song at first, but the subtleties are awesome.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.01, 03:11 PM   #630
Tokyo Jihad

I have literally been obsessed with Variety today. Not so much "I cant stop listening" but more "I just don't get it!" Since last night watching Shiina in the heart-breaking Spa vid. Well, Mainly I was also doing my best to recall the names of the songs (without looking at the song titles displayed)-- but one of the good songs I couldn't name! I had no idea which song this was! But also after it, I wanted to give it a second chance (not to say this is only my 2nd time hearing the album)

Ramp: The verse is good, the bridge is good....but that chorus, I just don't know.

Mirrorball: Thursday I totally caught myself singing the lead-in to the chorus in my head. I still say the JCHI ver is better, I dunno. Hata lifted the drum break at the end from the end of Shuraba.

Kingyo no Haku: Justin, I still don't quite see what you do in this song. I mean, its alright. I don't know if its just a relative thing for you. See, the choruses in this album are so frustrating! The verses are good, the bridges are good. But the choruses you really have to tolerate more often than not.

Shiseikatsu: I laughed when this was the good song I couldn't ID. My first impressions are pretty trustworthy. It sounded less like Superstar live....

OSCA: Its taken a year, but I don't totally hate this song anymore....I still hate the ham-fisted solos tho. I mean, I guess I only 'hated' cuz some thought this was like the greatest song ever created, when its not nearly as noteworthy. I wont watch the video, it just makes things worse. It was pretty charged live tho!

Kuronekodow: Ok, I shitted on this song pretty rowdy in my day....If I pretend its not my Shiina its not so bad. Its kinda clowny, its Bokoku Jyoushou.Her screeches are pretty cute here I guess. When it gets noisy at the 56 sec mark, Izawa totally caricatures HZM. --Izawa songs really dissapoint on the album when they were so great on the OSCA single.

Fukushuu: \m/ Fuck all the haterz. Its easily my fav. Not even a contest. I questionthe lyrics Jonny has on his site tho. I think shes singing "You'll never hurt me from behind" -- anyone concur? Or does she officially say "Heard me"? If so, i'll just continue singing "hurt me"

Botoumin: I never know how to spell this song. And I really want to claw my hair out. I shat on this song way worse than almost any other song....I dunno, maybe its just cuz of all the Number Girl I've been hammering my ears with....but dare I say I'm digging it. No no! Come back JR! Maou!....glath. I don't appreciate the Kabuki lift tho. -- hey I could lie and say otherwise. But I'm not, I'll admit its rubbed off a bit on me. Fuck all yall. =P

SSAW: still SSUX tho.

Tsukigime-hime: I always favored this song.

Sake to Geko: Some people like this song. I think Maou does. I thing its dreadfully uninteresting and long. I mean, its not SSAW. But it just never seems to accomplish anything for me.

Killer Tune:I almos don't wanna talk about it cuz for whatever reason, I always windup shitting about this song. Its a good song Izawa wrote. Maybe the only good one he wrote that's on the disc. I just really don't like the way it comes out of Shiina. ...and the solo of course. I do otherwise like Uki's guitar line in this song tho.

Metro: Justin Maou, I still don't quite see what you do in this song. I mean, its alright. I don't know if its just a relative thing for you. I do really like Shiina's lil "waaaoo" after the doot doos. I think its cool Still not enough song to make me look past the Sonic the Hedgehog-ness.

Ok, so I've softened abit on this album. Thats not to say I want anything like this again Shiina. For the love of god. Yeah its all "70's Game show" -- I really don't get the whyfor.

And really, what's with Izawa? I want to believe Tegami and Pinnochio are par for his course. But he really didn't show it on the disc. Killer Tunes good, but his next best is Kingyo or Sake? Then hes got SSAW AND Kuronekodou. Sheesh. Uki dare I say impressed? Well he wrote Fukushuu.And he wrote Tsukigime. Shiina needs to help him write a chorus tho. I still stand by Kameda as long as hes not letting Uki get the bette of his songs (Toumei Ningen.)

--all in all, come back to writing Shiina

EDIT:
See I get whats frustrating. Kameda can write a good "Shiina song." Uki and Izawa can't. When Shiina writes a song, it sounds liker it means something to her. She has a reason and a purpose. Focus. Kameda's I think are more compatible to Shiina. And why wouldn't they? Hes only worked with her entire career, he knows whats up.

Izawa and Uki just seem to write songs.They don't sound like they mean anything to Shiina or have any purpose than to be performed -- which is why they sound like theme-music and all quasi-light hearted. I suppose.

See, its not a matter of "rar, you want Shiina to sound the same." I want it to "feel" the same, meaning it comes from the same focus of Shiinaand itsounds like theres "something" to them besides musicianship (if your into the musicians that is.)

And its more enjoyable not having to see how little Shiina gives a shit (anymore, in the Spa vid.)

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2008.03.01 at 03:35 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote