Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.07.10, 03:28 PM   #61
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
I still stand by this statement:

To anyone who thinks of themselves as a legitimate exception, what makes you so special? What would make your message significantly different from what another westerner would say if they could have representation?

Here is a checklist of things that dozens or hundreds of other people would say:

I have (insert URL here) fansite.
I have large collection.
You introduced me to so many other artists whom I now like, but you're still number one for me.
My favorite production of yours, is blah blah blah.
The best thing I've ever experienced in life, was one of your concerts.
I was introduced to your work under such-and-such circumstances.
I have introduced your work to so many other people.
Please come and tour and/or publish in my home region.
You should totally release such-and-such demo/concert/etc. on CD/DVD.
This is my name that I totally expect you to remember and care about, and thanks for everything you've done.
Marry me.

Now if you had a statement like "I met my fiancé because of our mutual interest in you", then that's something.
That statement seems as fan-type as the others.
I don't know your reasons for making them "less important" things to say to her, tho.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.10, 03:30 PM   #62
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

well, its a little more exclusive than the others...tho I agree it still seems just as fan-ish.
Old 2008.07.10, 09:58 PM   #63
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
Now if you had a statement like "I met my fiancé because of our mutual interest in you", then that's something.
Funny because that is what I wrote

Now. Meeting anyone in Japan - where a good deal of people like or liked Ringo... well, makes that argument less valid in the end
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.11, 12:08 PM   #64
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Honestly, if Ringo and I ever crossed paths physically, all I'd probably do is say "Thank you!" with a big smile and leave it at that.

Unless you're writing her biography, what else could there possibly be to talk about? Anything you try to initiate would end in disappointment.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.11, 12:12 PM   #65
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
Honestly, if Ringo and I ever crossed paths physically, all I'd probably do is say "Thank you!" with a big smile and leave it at that.

Unless you're writing her biography, what else could there possibly be to talk about?
Sorry, talk?
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.11, 05:01 PM   #66
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I'd probaly kiss her then run away
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.11, 07:25 PM   #67
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I can distinctly recall a fantasy I had in Japan of running into her in an Aoyama (where I worked and close to where she's reputed to live) grocery store and shocking her by speaking to her in Japanese. I'd be all super polite and she'd be thrown off and want to know why my Japanese is so good (I'm not trying to brag here, it's just the first thing every Japanese person says to you, even if you DON'T sound like a native speaker, which I do) and we'd talk for a bit, then I'd run off not wanting to bother her. Hahaha I can't believe I actually fantasized about that scenario.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.12, 12:36 AM   #68
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
Totally agree. When I saw a big rock star whose work I had admired for decades, I said "Excuse me. You're a genius, I love your work, I'll leave you alone." He laughed, shook my hand, and we both were happy.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.12, 12:44 AM   #69
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I met Noel Gallagher a few years ago with my brother and even though i'm an Oasis fan i was pretty underwhelmed.. i wonder how i would really feel if i was able to meet Shiina ? it's ok to write comical things for a supposed meeting but if i really was gifted that chance to be in the vicinity of a person whom i truly admire then i am unsure what i would be able to say or do ? i would not wish to regret the meeting so i'm not sure what i'd do.

at the least do or say something that got her thinking or made her smile or impacted her in a good way ?
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.07.12, 01:13 AM   #70
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Could you just imagine meeting Shiina Ringo after she had composed KSK, but before it had been recorded/mixed and released? You already think she's a genius and when you see her you're like "ohmygod OH MY GOD it's my IDOL!", but you don't even know the half of it.

When I met HZM, I didn't say anything to him, other than calling out his name. Knowing what I know now, I would've said a little more. After that moment, I got ahold of PE'Z REALIVE 2005 (now out-of-print) and found out how mad his skills were when he's behind a grand piano and not being held back by a vocalist, his solo-career launched, and PE'Z unveiled a fresh double-album after 18 months of no more original compositions. Some people may think the storm ended when he left Tokyo Jihen because that's the only band of his that they pay attention to, but the moment I met him was the calm before an even greater storm.