Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2011.11.23, 07:25 AM   #7281
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer
Default Boris at last

I (of all people--since I hardly fuck with rock in general) have mentioned Boris here before, but I too am somewhat surprised they don't get mentioned more often. I didn't like any of the three albums they put out this year, however. I tend to like their psychedelic side more than their Heavy Rocks side (not that they don't overlap) but I still didn't care for Attention Please. My favorites are: Smile, Mabuta No Ura, Feedbacker (though it's not something I throw on regularly) and Rainbow. And some EP stuff, I guess, though I'm not very familiar with that--but definitely Floor Shaker.

Oh yeah, and "Party Boy" is the one song of theirs from this year that I like.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.23, 07:41 AM   #7282
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post

But, if for some reason you were using "EMF friendly" as a condescending term here (it's really hard to tell cause the band in question is Boris), you can go eat a bag of dicks :-p
'Of course I was being condescending. But I wasn't meaning New Album/Attention Please were bad, just were "pop"ier, more traditional songey-songs, Wata singing.
Old 2011.11.23, 10:51 AM   #7283
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I haven't heard of Boris. I'll take Jihad's recommendation and check out "New Album" and "Attention Please". Though, I dislike it when I'm introduced to new groups with 15+ albums of material. It's so daunting...

Anyways, I came here to just say:
Joanna Wang - Adult Crap

I would say this is her best song. She's a really great lyricist, her lyrics are really witty, funny, sarcastic, bitchy, etc. And her voice is gorgeous.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.23, 11:52 AM   #7284
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Never cared for shoegaze myself. Even Asobi Seksu (who, if I recall, is pretty popular 'round here) I find bland and uninspiring. The entire genre just isn't dynamic enough to hold my attention.

Jamiroquai - Runaway
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.23, 02:34 PM   #7285
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I haven't heard of Boris. I'll take Jihad's recommendation and check out "New Album" and "Attention Please". Though, I dislike it when I'm introduced to new groups with 15+ albums of material. It's so daunting...
Pink, Smile, Feedbacker, Akuma no Uta are their meatier works. Check them out too.
Old 2011.11.24, 02:31 AM   #7286
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Puscifer- Monsoons

So, I got round to listening to Maynard James Keenan's latest outing, kinda bitter cause I've accepted that it's gonna be a little while longer till Tool's next one (I hope that May release ain't a load of bullshit).

What I didn't expect however, was that this album (Conditions of My Parole- sporting a very funny album cover) was gonna be so amazing! Not a dull track on the whole thing, and nowhere near as self indulgent as previous Puscifer releases, it certainly annihilates V is for Vagina. I imagine this being in my top 10 of 2011, despite it being such a latecomer.

The song I chose to link is "Monsoons" and it it truly beautiful, harkens back to the more intimate moments of A Perfect Circle (Oh, and don't worry, there are some tracks that totally rock out too).

Any Tool/APC/Puscifer fan should get onto it, it will at least hold over until the next APC or Tool eventually surfaces. Good stuff!

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.11.24 at 02:34 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.24, 02:33 AM   #7287
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

Childish Gambino's CAMP album finally arrived today at long last. LOVE THIS ALBUM. I haven't been this enamoured by an album in a long while...

I dunno if you guys listen to rap but if you do, give this guy a shot if you haven't already. His back catalogue, aside from Camp, is all free and up on the Internet.

But yeah, I mean for a line like "So it's 400 Blows to these Truffaut n****s" to be used in a rap track of all things is just brilliance in my mind. I just have a lot of feelings for all things Donald Glover-related. Dude's awesome.
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.25, 11:34 AM   #7288
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Gustavo Cerati - Amor Amarillo

The man has (probably had, it's impossible to tell if you know his uncertain and suspended current state) such a master mind for guitars.

Last edited by Carlx : 2011.11.25 at 11:38 AM.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.25, 03:06 PM   #7289
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

The League Unlimited Orchestra - Love and Dancing
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.26, 08:54 AM   #7290
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Nico Muhly - Fast Twitchy Organs
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote