Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.08.02, 11:28 AM   #771
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Zero has a fresh, light feel to it and is perfectly placed on the album.

Ryuukou is probably my favourite song on SG. It's not 'avant garde' Shiina or 'rock Shiina', but I'd place it among my all time favourite SR songs. Mummy D is great, I like the contrast between Shiina's "onna no, onna no," and his "onna no no no! onna no no!" Then she ramps that shit up in the second half of the song. The first four tracks are what 'Pop Shiina' or 'Phase 2 Shiina' should be.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.02, 05:16 PM   #772
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Zero has a fresh, light feel to it and is perfectly placed on the album.

Ryuukou is probably my favourite song on SG. It's not 'avant garde' Shiina or 'rock Shiina', but I'd place it among my all time favourite SR songs. Mummy D is great, I like the contrast between Shiina's "onna no, onna no," and his "onna no no no! onna no no!" Then she ramps that shit up in the second half of the song. The first four tracks are what 'Pop Shiina' or 'Phase 2 Shiina' should be.
complaints I heard about the album from casual fans are that it sounds like TJ. I was like, what, where? but the first three songs could definitely be on a TJ album.

I still don't really like Zero Chiten Kara. At the moment the only track on the album that holds the same magical touch as when I first heard it is Shun. I still love the others, but I'm used to them by now and they don't get me excited. There is just something about Shun that manages to reach me. Definitely one of her best works.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.03, 12:13 AM   #773
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I think her voice in Shun is great. The song's slowly wearing off on me, though.

I don't necessarily think that the first few tracks sound like TJ, but rather, how I'd like TJ to sound. TJ has the whole 'groovy, funky' thing going on (Especially with both Shiina and Ukigumo in there, who are both fans of 'black music'), and are pop orientated. She does that here, but with slightly more depth than in TJ, and feels more genuine. When I listen to Botoumin, I think 'you're trying too hard.'
Old 2009.08.03, 03:37 AM   #774
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I recently realized my initial GOOD reaction Zero Chiten Kara is because it does indeed come as a breath of fresh air after the first 3 upbeat, somewhat annoying TJ-esque songs (I warmed up a little to Ryuukou since then). I remember from the reviews that some people here thought the exact opposite of me- that Zero... is a downer after 3 great, energetic songs. The song doesn't hold up as well on it's own but it's still a cute.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.03, 04:11 AM   #775
Scribble R

See, I didn't understand that. The song is more chilled out and simpler than the previous songs, but is also pretty interesting because it has a little depth and is slightly Shiina-centric (As in, just a tad experimental. Unlike Variety's chilled out-but-lacking-depth songs). I think the album crashed on Karisome Otome (Although it sounds better here)

However, I think I was slightly cynical toward Zero, because the layering Hatsukoi Shoujo bit at the end feels a bit contrived, as in 'I'm trying to be experimental'.

I think this album proved to me that Shiina needs to just stick to everything that ISN'T straightforward jazz.
Old 2009.08.03, 01:02 PM   #776
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I'll keep saying it until I brainwash the lot o' ya. The first four tracks sound like Phase 1 Jihen with higher production values. Especially Ryuukou which is no doubt because of HZM.
Old 2009.08.04, 08:44 AM   #777
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Does anyone think the photo on the cover of this album looks a bit butoh? I'm sure I've see photos of butoh dancers in roughly that posture, with somewhat similar expressions (perhaps a bit more mysterious and blank). Or am I looking too hard for the smallest possible trace of an allusion to an interesting bit of Japanese culture?
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.04, 03:02 PM   #778
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
I remember from the reviews that some people here thought the exact opposite of me- that Zero... is a downer after 3 great, energetic songs.
People said the same thing about "Akane". I never understood why. An album consisting of entirely high-energy songs would be...
Old 2009.08.04, 04:56 PM   #779
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
An album consisting of entirely high-energy songs would be...
Kyouiku.
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.04, 05:14 PM   #780
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

you say that like its a bad thing...

and since when did people (with reliable opinions) hate Zero Chiten Kara? All I remember was people saying it stood out in a good way after 3 fast songs.

You know what song gets a bad wrap? Honnou, I listened to it the other day and its really good! Very Underrated, doesn't deserve the disrespect it gets.