Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2008.12.03, 05:08 AM   #71
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
Believe me, you guys who skipped on this arent missing out on much. Whatever you hear on the original cd's [or mp3's for the naughty fans] is the same just a bit clearer.
What did you expect from a remaster? It went beyond my expectations because I can actually hear a difference. Many of the guitar and bass notes are cleaner now. I love it and can't wait to listen to the DVD set when I get home.
Old 2008.12.03, 08:53 AM   #72
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

I just received my box today!! It arrived right on time, with what I was expecting of YesAsia.

I love the box!! It doesn't feel as luxurious as the Daiginjou one, but it's definitely sturdy. The "Maido Ari" is louder than I thought. It still sounds weird XD
I love those stickers. I'm glad that they actually reference all her albums and not just the MoRA box. I love the sheet that has her face, and the nose is a flower (hana!) with KSK on top. Other cool stickers: the yellow car('s name is Hitler XD), the Tsumi to Batsu katana, a MM-esque blotchy ringo logo.
The pictures surprised me - most of them are printed on hard cardboard, so at first I thought they were supposed to be coasters. But some of them are on thinner, almost transparent paper. I guess they could make a cool arrangement if they were put together in a frame that contains many little squares for multiple pictures, something like that?
As for the 100 page booklet, it's really a combination of the booklets from the 3 albums, but with alternative shots. I just wish there had been a few new pictures, maybe from the lightningrod Ringo photoshoot?
I don't know if there's any difference with the DVD box.
All in all I'm happy with my MoRA box!
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.03, 07:53 PM   #73
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
What did you expect from a remaster? It went beyond my expectations because I can actually hear a difference. Many of the guitar and bass notes are cleaner now. I love it and can't wait to listen to the DVD set when I get home.

go throw the old cd's in a wood chipper. you're all set and have finally got your moneys worth.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.03, 09:47 PM   #74
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

part of me wants to resist a remaster because dating a work often adds to its value. sure, I want it to sound good, but there isn't any major problems with her releases that I really felt held them back. I kind of want the remasters but part of me knows that the original releases are always going to be THE definitive versions (the fact that this is a limited anniversary only release points to that even more so) so they would be nice to have but I don't think ringo sat down with the audio engineers and personally went over what levels to adjust and how to clean it up, whereas on the previous albums she played an integral role in recording, so these remasters aren't a huge deal I suppose.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.04, 04:41 AM   #75
merman

merman is an asset to this community

AND you won't have the singles tacked on to the ends of the albums. That would bug me infinitely especially with KSK, where the perfection and symmetry of the playing time would be lost. Also it's supposed to end with the abrupt cut after the sonic mayhem, no bonus tracks, no nothing. SS too, to a lesser degree. And if you want to nitpick the symmetrical album duration is lost then too.
On the other hand, to those who DON'T have the original releases, it's a very good deal to get it all in one, which I suppose was the whole point of this release.

BTW when Maou said the remasters sound "cleaner", how exactly? There are a lot of songs that aren't supposed to sound clean, and have a lot of distortion deliberately, particularly on SS...
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.04, 09:59 AM   #76
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by merman View Post
AND you won't have the singles tacked on to the ends of the albums. That would bug me infinitely especially with KSK, where the perfection and symmetry of the playing time would be lost. Also it's supposed to end with the abrupt cut after the sonic mayhem, no bonus tracks, no nothing.
Well, the KZK vynil has Ichijiku no Hana after Souretsu, so... :S
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.04, 10:18 AM   #77
merman

I didn't say it wouldn't bother me there too.
But it's the only downside to it, otherwise, vinyl is the way to go
(and I'd rather have the vinyl than the DVD... vinyls sound warmer and I can only imagine how that would suit this album... but I presume it'd be awesome)
Old 2008.12.04, 10:38 AM   #78
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

AND you won't have the singles tacked on to the ends of the albums. That would bug me infinitely especially with KSK, where the perfection and symmetry of the playing time would be lost. Also it's supposed to end with the abrupt cut after the sonic mayhem, no bonus tracks, no nothing. SS too, to a lesser degree. And if you want to nitpick the symmetrical album duration is lost then too.
On the other hand, to those who DON'T have the original releases, it's a very good deal to get it all in one, which I suppose was the whole point of this release.
Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
Well, the KZK vynil has Ichijiku no Hana after Souretsu, so... :S
The original CD tracklist (as well as the total playtime) is symmetrical with Kuki in the very middle. If you're going to throw off the symmetry, the least you could do is not include another version of a song that's already there. The only other way to get Ichijiku no Hana was on the copy-protected bonus CD for Baishou Ecstasy (with just that one track), and then on Seteiki Healing Vol. 3. Stem is practically all over the discography with 4 CD versions, and three concert DVDs, two of which are Saito Neko version(s) - not unlike the studio performance that got tacked onto the end of MoRA-edition KSK.

EMI just wanted to give us one of the A-Sides that didn't get included in Watashi to Houden, and they couldn't think of a better place to stash it.

BTW when Maou said the remasters sound "cleaner", how exactly? There are a lot of songs that aren't supposed to sound clean, and have a lot of distortion deliberately, particularly on SS...
My opinion of the original Shouso Strip is that it was painfully dry and garbled. The synth noise and the grungy-textured guitars are still prevalent in the remaster, but now each of the components has their own space and their own air around them, rather than sounding like they were all dropped together into a digital woodchipper and reprocessed as a particle board. If the synth noises were a soot-producing smoke before, now they are a mist that allows everyone in the atmosphere to breath.
Old 2008.12.04, 10:47 AM   #79
pocket

pocket pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
but now each of the components has their own space and their own air around them, rather than sounding like they were all dropped together into a digital woodchipper and reprocessed as a particle board. If the synth noises were a soot-producing smoke before, now they are a mist that allows everyone in the atmosphere to breath.
You described that so beautifully, I'm really looking forward to hearing for myself. Thanks.
pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.04, 10:57 AM   #80
merman

Oh yeah, thanks Glath! I actually like the sound of the original issue, though I kind of agree with what you say. But now I want to hear the remasters too
Anyway... I can't figure out why they didn't stash the single tracks on a separate CD/DVD, along with Ringo no uta probably, and even if they wanted Ringo no uta have its own disc, they could still have them alone. That wouldn't ruin the flow of the albums, which is otherwise very good. They have strong openers, the track order is good, and when you reach the final song, it feels like it should end with it, logically. So having those on another/RNU disc is far more logical for me.
But I've said all that before, right?