Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2012.04.22, 05:37 AM   #71
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

It's funny because it starts with 10 seconds of heavy duty rock but then when she starts singing it's like "lol j/k".

What was the last straightforward rock song Ringo wrote? The only TJ examples of I can think of were written by other members but I'm not very knowledgeable about who wrote what in TJ.
Old 2012.04.22, 08:20 AM   #72
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

That band sounds nothing like Tokyo Jihen. They're more abrasive, though they do accomodate to the feminine element well for Ringo's sake. To me it feels like a girly Koufukuron.
Old 2012.04.22, 06:22 PM   #73
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Couple ways I could describe this song (none of them accurate)...

Shiina Ringo tried to submit her own version of "Super Driver" for the second season of Haruhi Suzumiya but got shoeboxed until someone remembered an offbeat detective show needed an OP.
Kameda was told to make a more rockin' version of Senkou Shoujo for her.
Chiaki tricked Shiina Ringo into singing one of the songs meant for her and ninja marketed it as the opening for this drama.
This song was submitted for Shouso Strip, Kyouiku, and the Gyakutai Glicogen portion of ZCS but couldn't make the cut for any of them.

I "like" the song (read: if this came up on a playlist I wouldn't completely tune it out) but something about it prevents me from liking it more, like maybe the high energy is unexpectedly flat and almost one-dimensional or it's 30 seconds to a minute too long. I don't know.
Old 2012.04.22, 08:02 PM   #74
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Its just...too happy.
Wouldn't you be happy if you were free from TJ too?
Old 2012.04.22, 08:34 PM   #75
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

It's catchy, and good for what it is and it will go great on my running playlist next to Gunjyo, Senkou, and 21seiki. But it's not the total switch into a really cool interesting new direction that I was hoping for. And her voice recently just isn't doing it for me. I think halfway through SG she lost the quality about it that I really liked; it's still abrasive and different but now more in a "cute" way than in a heartfelt way. Maybe I'm imagining it though.
Old 2012.04.22, 11:44 PM   #76
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Positron View Post
Chiaki tricked Shiina Ringo into singing one of the songs meant for her and ninja marketed it as the opening for this drama.
I have a better explanation: the drama's production asked Ringo to write a crappy Jpop-punk song as the theme song for the drama and since chiaki starred in it she thought she'll sing the theme song too so she didn't mind writing a crappy song for her. however, even chiaki refused to sing it so Ringo had to perform it herself.

here I demonstrated why chiaki is a bad influence on Ringo. Chiaki: the new Ukigumo
Old 2012.04.22, 11:55 PM   #77
Lime

Lime pleased at least somebody

I absolutely love the heavy intro into her girly-ish melody. I think it should have gone back to heavier stuff.

The parts (probably 1/2 the song atleast) where she screams over the punkpop guitar is kinda standard punk pop.
It could have been a great song if she tried to do something nonstandard with it. but I still think it's a good song.

The general sound and energy (particularly this) of the instruments is my favorite on her recordings since ksk/ss but this song I'd place it with my least favorite songs on SS or MM, but not lower than that).

I still liked 2/3 of the carnation single, and 3/5 of color bars a lot better. But the sound of the instruments would be awesome for her next album if the songs weren't mostly like that(typical pop punk), if that makes any sense.

Edit, I didn't hear "between today and tommorow" until today, and it's amazing. This pales in comparison, but still the energy, and the way they play their instruments (patterns/fills/tone etc).

Last edited by Lime : 2012.04.24 at 01:12 AM.
Old 2012.04.23, 12:13 AM   #78
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Lime View Post
I absolutely love the heavy intro into her girly-ish melody. I think it should have gone back to heavier stuff.

The parts (probably 1/2 the song atleast) where she screams over the punkpop guitar is kinda standard punk pop.
It could have been a great song if she tried to do something nonstandard with it. but I still think it's a good song.
The general sound and energy of the instruments is my favorite on her recordings since ksk/ss but this song I'd place it with my least favorite songs on SS or MM, but not lower than that)

I still liked 2/3 of the carnation single, and 3/5 of color bars a lot better. But the sound of the instruments would be awesome for her next album if the songs weren't mostly like that, if that makes any sense.
Some nice thoughts here. I can't wait to hear what will come next without constrictions of it being for a show or band. Can't say I would like more rock (give me more Between Today and Tomorrow pls) but this new lively backing band is definitely a blast of fresh air.

Edit: that said, I do hope Kameda continues to support Ringo. He's her Ying to her Yang methinks.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2012.04.23 at 12:20 AM.
Old 2012.04.23, 12:47 AM   #79
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Can someone check this site to see if it's confirmation of more new music by SR?
http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/entertain...4.htm?from=yol

Something about music for a play.
Old 2012.04.23, 02:38 AM   #80
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by matan-san View Post
I have a better explanation: the drama's production asked Ringo to write a crappy Jpop-punk song as the theme song for the drama and since chiaki starred in it she thought she'll sing the theme song too so she didn't mind writing a crappy song for her. however, even chiaki refused to sing it so Ringo had to perform it herself.

here I demonstrated why chiaki is a bad influence on Ringo. Chiaki: the new Ukigumo
Maybe if we're (un)lucky enough Chiaki and that certain Phase 2 guitarist will start dating so we can use the term "Chiakigumo".
Closed Thread