Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2008.07.13, 06:20 PM   #81
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I personally don't think Shiina is such a rollover, and I don't know so much about Tori Amos admittedly, but she's still kickin'. And hey, Puffy are more commercialized, more pop, and they're still doing their thing yet they're older. I personally don't think it's unrealistic. To think every album would sell as much as SS is unrealistic, and maybe high expectations to think any album would at least be interesting like KZK. But just maintain a steady quality of work and not totally choke like she's been doing.

Then again, what I believed about Shiina and her current events have been at odds with each other.
Old 2008.07.13, 06:29 PM   #82
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
But just maintain a steady quality of work and not totally choke like she's been doing.

OMG! This is exactly what I'm talking about! How is she choking??? How good do you think a song fitted for a boy band is going to be and how much more awesome can a song for a Kabuki show get??
Old 2008.07.13, 06:33 PM   #83
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Its the last year+ Hedo! Its not impossible to write a good pop song, Kameda did it twice with Jihen (Toumei Ningen (DO), and Senkou Shojou.) However, its highly unexpected to rehash KT.
Old 2008.07.13, 06:35 PM   #84
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

No crap it's not impossible when you're composing for your own band. Whatever dude.
Old 2008.07.13, 06:37 PM   #85
Tokyo Jihad

What I'm saying is this: Neko was talking about trying her hand at something else. Trying something new.

However what she made was essentially exactly what she's been making. And that's completely disheartening.
Old 2008.07.13, 06:52 PM   #86
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

in order for an artist to survive they had to adapt to the changing climate of the music industry. ringo simply wrote a pop song and gave it to a boy band and people are throwing their hands up with disappointment. better her give it to them then use it herself, think about what she is probably keeping to herself. what I mean with all my other comments is simply Ringo is going to change and grow and experiment and do all sorts of things and to expect her to not release something that will piss everyone off here and then is not realistic. it took tori amos 3 albums or so to release another "angry" album and it had her fans crying out in relief and pleasure. I'm sure at some point in the future ringo will probably return to form, I mean I'm sure it is still within her somewhere....I just don't know if she will ever release it under the guise of TJ. Maybe once the band breaks up...
Old 2008.07.13, 09:36 PM   #87
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I fail to see how her composing a song for some random boy band constitutes as "not being able to pen an original song anymore". Shiina Ringo has been known to write songs for other people in the past so this shouldn't really be that big of a deal to anyone. It's just that it happens to be TOKIO that everyone flips out. Who cares? Yeah, it's not that amazing of a song but it's not completely awful either. It's about what you'd expect for a pop band to perform. It's not like Shiina Ringo has "punk rock" cred either and can't go commercial. I don't really get the hate.

No, I'm not a big fan of TOKIO Jihen. But I have a feeling this will be their only release so it's no big deal. Honestly, a lot of you guys can be such drama queens sometimes.
Old 2008.07.13, 09:44 PM   #88
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

i am just desperate to hear another good Shiina song! so to see her expend energy on this stuff completely frustrates me.
Old 2008.07.14, 12:29 AM   #89
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

honestly I would have been more interested if she actually attempted to write some brainless tune typical of a johnny's idol group and maybe put a twist on it. This new song is really a Tokyo Jihen song with some guy singing instead of Ringo. What's the point of writing for a boy band if they end up sounding exactly the same as your jazz rock band?
Old 2008.07.14, 04:19 AM   #90
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

basically...

an average song, for an average band, that no one is going to remember in 5 years' time.

It's not the end of the world, but it's hardly anything to cheer over.

It does fit pleasantly as background music for the show.
So, I guess the objective for the song was accomplished.

It's probably an alternate version of Killer Tune that was left out from Variety, and was reworked for this occasion. It's very common for artists, while composing, having 2 or 3 possible variants of a song, toying with different ideas and possibilities, and usually only one of them gets chosen as the final version and the others are forever scraped, and no one gets to hear of them.

But I guess shiina felt that this was still decent enough for a drama show, which is not inaccurate.

Decent background music for something else, not much more than that. I guess I could give a couple of listens to it occasionally, if I'm in a very happy mood.