Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2015.11.09, 04:20 AM   #361
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Kei from Dirty Pair Flash was probably one of my first loves :,( she's so cool. Dirty Pair really is just a Fun series. The shininess got me hyped about similar-looking series like Plastic Little, but they never gave me exactly what I wanted.

Also, if you rule out high schoolers, you rule out so... much anime... I'm just looking through my logs right now and most feature a protagonist under 20.

If you really just want a feel good show, Barakamon would be my rec. It's about a pretentious calligrapher who gets sent to live in the countryside after his ego got out of control, to explain it in brief. It has kids, but it was a very sweet and funny show.

If you're into Weird Shows in Outerspace (my personal favorite genre), Space Dandy was alternately sophomoric and genius. Smooth soundtrack too. Michiko to Hatchin was also great, and Soil and Pimp does the OP.

Steins;gate was interesting and I liked it, but I feel like you need to be a certain type of nerd to fully enjoy it.

Like, what is it you like about 90s anime? (a bad question, because I couldn't tell you what I like about it, other than stylistically enjoying the boxiness.) If you have an idea, and actually want to watch more anime, then it may be easier to help. I don't know that you'll find works that imitate the experience you want though, but I'm sure there's tons of stuff from the era that you haven't watched before!

Also, Tatami galaxy is actually based on a novel, which is why I think the structure is so interesting and different. Really a great show. Sooo very beautiful.

I can't agree that AoT and NGE are similar (as far as I know, they really don't seem that way), but I have a lot of thoughts about how NGE changes (screwed up???) what standard narrative structures were in popular anime so I'm deeply biased against comparisons.

While one of my favorite works, Anno's goals/frustrations? were probably presented in a way that was too nuanced to communicate his goals without a lot of deep reading that many people weren't going to do initially. But he's cool, and it's successfully lined his pockets for the rest of his life so whatever. Unfortunately, his success created a world in which shows like AoT (which I really just am endlessly frustrated with and dislike) could exist.

Anyway, I'm "in the middle of" like 30 shows right now AKA in anime Hell.

(parentheses olympics)
Old 2015.11.09, 04:50 AM   #362
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'm not really into anime and I haven't watched a whole one in years but I watched the first few episodes of One Punch Man and it's fuckin great
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.09, 04:53 AM   #363
tsukigimehime

^ SUPER TRUE

also if you like manga, PLEASE READ THE MANGA, Murata is an artistic genius.
Old 2015.11.09, 04:59 AM   #364
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

80s/90s anime has a totally different atmosphere which seems to have all but disappeared. Nothing quite matches stuff like Akira, Wicked City, Goku Midnight Eye, Golgo 13 and Ninja Scroll for example.

That's when it had a pair.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.11.09 at 05:06 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.09, 05:14 AM   #365
tsukigimehime

If you haven't seen Big O, maybe look into that. It's not new, by any means, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find that exact vibe again. Maybe House of Five Leaves? I've not watched either, but Elfen Lied and Ergo Proxy, while aesthetically very different, may have something that you're looking for. I also hear that the new Ghost in the Shell series (a prequel to Stand Alone Complex, if I recall) is very good.

Those kind of dark-tinged, grittier shows you mentioned just don't seem to be in their boom period anymore though (´・_・`)

ETA: Uh, I'll also throw in Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul for good measure, just because they're weirdly violent, which is my vague childhood memory of Ninja Scroll.

Last edited by tsukigimehime : 2015.11.09 at 05:26 AM.
tsukigimehime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.12, 10:34 AM   #366
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

old ren and stimpy was good
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.09, 12:41 AM   #367
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

RESURRECTION!!!

I'd say prior to this decade I was a really big anime fan but then once moe took over and everything became about loli, little sisters, and all levels of creepy I tended to stay away from it. And that's not to say that there haven't been good shows in recent years. I've just gotten out of the fandom. Enter this year where I'm finally starting to actually watch some good shows again.

Anybody else watching Megalo Box? If you're not, you should. It's fantastic. Great drama, great animation, just all around great everything. I can't recommend it enough, especially if you're a fan of sports anime & manga.

MEGALOBOX - OFFICIAL TRAILER | Crunchyroll
Old 2018.05.09, 01:10 AM   #368
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I love this whole 80s throwback going on
But hey, not everything released is pedo-material!
I've posted in another thread some really good things that are from these last years

Youjouhan shinwa taikei (tatami galaxy): A crazy coming of age circular story with dynamic animation and neat visuals

boku dake ga inai machi (erased): a serious suspense with time travel. Think Butterfly Effect, but more mature and intense, and without the focus on romance

aku no hana: a quirky coming of age with kinda experimental style

Ping-Pong: amazing visuals, intense, never thought I would love so much an anime about a sport

Psycho-pass: utopian/dystopian futuristic psychological thriller that makes you think about philosophical things

Penguindrum: bubbly colourful series that is not as innocent as it appears. The creator is that guy who created Utena, I love everything he does.

gatchaman crowds: a revival of gatchaman that doesn't have anything to do with the original. It makes you reflect about the issues of society nowadays. Its sequel, gachaman crowds insight, is very political, very interesting.

shin sekai yori: It's a different kind of futuristic story... people live in a magical-agricultural utopia, but it becomes a very dark story. Not so enjoyable at the end though, it left me hopeless about humanity.

ninja slayer from animation: a parody of the way mainstream western society sees japanese anime. Short episodes and interesting soundtrack ==b

madoka: a satire of the mahou shoujo genre that fits into the genre, with its aesthetics and all. I guess you will only like it if you are familiar with the genre and you enjoy some aspects of it, otherwise it's just another dark story with multiple plot twists

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.09, 10:55 AM   #369
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

I don't really watch anime anymore, but if you like the old-school 80s stuff, be sure to check out Bubblegum Crisis (the original one). It's the best example of that great 80s anime genre set in a semi-dystopian future version of Tokyo where everything is ruled by massive corporations. I don't know that I can put my finger on exactly what makes it so special - it just seems to hit all the right notes. Also be sure to check out the "Konya wa Hurricane" music video that accompanies the reissued DVD version, if you can.
Old 2018.05.10, 05:17 AM   #370
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I will!
It's been on my need-to-watch list for years now
I also liked the remake
but I'm really into old stuff right now, as long as the animation is not as enervating as speed racer's

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote