Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2012.02.27, 07:35 PM   #31
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

I like the live-more-acoustic-y version of Carnation so much more than the single/orchestrated version which is weird for me because I generally love Ringo + Orchestra 100% of the time. The Discovery/NHK versions just sound more sincere. Original version sounds too hoity-toity & over-sappily-sentimental.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.28, 08:20 AM   #32
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
Funny, I didn't notice Uki's f-ups on Atarashii because Ringo's megaphoning already took me out of the song. And the band earned back some good will.

I wasn't crazy about Denki no nai toshi in studio version either, but it worked so well live that now when I hear the studio version I can at least think fondly of it.
Ha, I just naturally pick up on guitar things since it's my instrument. Hirama had some good ones back in the day too. At Meet the World Beat, Hirama's guitar completely dies after the Ringo no Uta solo. In Dynamite Out, he hits a bit of extreme feedback during the Omatsuri Sawagi interlude that makes Ringo literally cringe.

I like the studio version of Atarashii, but words cannot express how much the song benefits from the live drums. I can't believe the producer thought it would be a good idea to release the studio version with the drums sounding like tupperware.

Denki's ending is fantastic live. Ukigumo's tremolo picking is intense. It takes some real stamina to sustain it for that long. Hmm, maybe now that I like the live version so much I'll finally get the song's title correct.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I know lots of people don't like it, but I reckon the Carnation ver. is pretty nice too.
I like this version of Carnation, but I also liked the studio version. I hope it sees some more refinement and makes another appearance whenever Ringo does her next solo tour (I'm guessing late 2012, early 2013).
Old 2012.03.03, 04:59 PM   #33
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Bit late to the party, and I wish I had heard Denki no Nai Toshi two weeks ago. What an impactful rendition.

And is it just me, or did Izawa get featured heavily? His solo in Katsute wa Otoko to Onna was lifeless, but overall I have to admit I was focusing on him quite a bit this show.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.04, 08:55 AM   #34
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

One thing Denki no nai Toshi live does that I didn't mention: fixes a transition. Around the 2:10 mark, there is a transition that sounds horribly unnatural in the studio. It sounds like they recorded up to that part and then came back some other day to finish the song. The live version flows much nicer.
Old 2012.03.05, 02:57 PM   #35
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Whenever I hear the "YOROSHIKU ONEGAI SHIMAAAAZU" a smile is put on my face. What a really enjoyable version.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.06, 10:16 PM   #36
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Finally got around to watching this thing. After Handsome Sugite got through its halfway point it was actually entertaining. Might get the Blu-Ray, not sure yet.

I don't think Himitsu FOR DJ is going to get any better than Discovery; that being said, it was pretty sick. Izawa needs to make more guest appearances on raps.

Nagaoka Ryosuke a.k.a. "look at all the fucks I give" Ukigmo really knows how to look like he's not trying very hard during his solos. Izawa got some great spotlights too, but Kameda and Hata really know how to keep it consistent and energetic.

The live band arrangement of Onna no ko wa dare de mo was cute. I'm surprised they didn't try to do a version like this on Daihakken considering the slight makeover Dopamint got from single to album.

It's a shame Ringo wasn't wearing her pink dress during Denki no nai toshi, she would have made a great flamingo.

She looked pretty fetching during the Konya stretch, even with the feathered headdress. One of my favorite concert looks of hers and reminds me how much I like her figure during her guitar motions.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.06, 10:24 PM   #37
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Positron View Post
She looked pretty fetching during the Konya stretch, even with the feathered headdress. One of my favorite concert looks of hers and reminds me how much I like her figure during her guitar motions.
Can't resist mentioning....I thought her figure was set off pretty well in the "cavewoman prom dress" earlier in the show. But only in the finale did she really work her guitar and set the audience's eyeballs a-goggling.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.09, 12:02 PM   #38
Kuridamo

Kuridamo is headed in the right direction

Does anyone know which classical song is played during the credits?
Kuridamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.09, 04:08 PM   #39
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Kuridamo View Post
Does anyone know which classical song is played during the credits?
That is a very good question as I would like to find out too!

The song keeps repeating so I don't think it is a classical piece written by the few famous composers. Furthermore, it sounds nothing I have heard from them.

This will be an interesting discovery. *pun not intended*

Last edited by W3iHong : 2012.03.09 at 04:11 PM.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.03.10, 09:55 PM   #40
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I think it's something Izawa improvised the day before
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote