Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2015.02.07, 04:14 AM   #431
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Ariamaru Tomi is indeed anti-consumerism!

That being said, she typically has impenetrable lyrics.

And unfortunately the best site for Ringo lyrics is now defunct thanks to people not respecting the translator's work.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.02.07, 07:42 AM   #432
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^Really? I thought centigrade-J just stopped doing Ringo translations altogether cos the owner(s) only really likes Mr. Children, or something. It is a shame though the translations were really quite good.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.02.07, 08:09 AM   #433
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

The board's very own Frecklegirl does great, methodical translations of SR's work, along with works by Maaya Sakamoto and Bonnie Pink. She used to do Shakira translations as well. She also includes a lot of notes on her translations which are very helpful.

https://lavendral.wordpress.com/

EDIT: Though currently incomplete, here are the completed translations for Hi Izuru Tokoro are here.
Old 2015.02.07, 08:41 AM   #434
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Ah I've seen that blog before, it's a good rudimentary resource but am personally not a fan of the translations there since they seem to miss the point of SR's lyrics sometimes.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.02.07, 12:02 PM   #435
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

^ How so? (I'm genuinely curious.)
Old 2015.02.07, 03:25 PM   #436
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

She did a pretty good job on Ketteiteki Sanpunkan.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.02.09, 07:38 AM   #437
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I actually didn't know Frecklegirl was back! I knew she took a break to focus on her job.

If she's reading this:
Thank you Frecklegirl! We all appreciate your hard work so much!
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.02.09, 01:13 PM   #438
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

http://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=75
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.03.10, 02:26 AM   #439
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Ariamaru Tomi is indeed anti-consumerism!

That being said, she typically has impenetrable lyrics.

And unfortunately the best site for Ringo lyrics is now defunct thanks to people not respecting the translator's work.
I always got a whiff of anti consumerism in her lyrics but it just kind of seems ironic that it would become more apparent as she starts writing songs for groups that exist for the sole purpose of making money.....

I don't get it.

And thanks for the translations guys, ill get on that as soon as I get home to the VPN, blocked in china....
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.04.02, 05:02 AM   #440
waranghira

waranghira has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Woah, I was curious if there was any difference between the HIT album and single versions of Ariamaru Tomi, after listening, I'm convinced that they mastered HIT with the intention to fuck with our ears! First few seconds alone my speakers are screeching/squealing from the exaggerated around-8k frequencies, now repeat that every bar 'til the song ends.

I checked it at the EQ and lo and behold.

The recessed 250-500 Mids aside, the treble is actually quite balanced... but somebody got the bright idea to amp the very specific 10k to high heavens.

Why do they keep doing that with a lot of Shiina's records (is it her doing?)? I noticed from her similar works that if you discount the awful HISSes, most of the time, the whole track is pretty balanced in frequency, but still come across as bad because of how it was mixed. Her voice are always muffled but managed to be sibilant (which is weird because you don't usually associate muffle with hisses) with it's cut-out high-mids. And the drums follow the EQing of the vocals, with the keys and guitars filling the huge void of the two in the high-mids (why the KnG are always more powerful than her voice in the records). And the bass drowns the rest without even being loud.
Do they think it's cool?

Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
Kyouiku didn't bother me too much. Her recent offerings sound similar to musicians I've met that have blown their ear drums out playing live then trying to mix music. The mids are cut and the bass and treble are boosted way too far.
If that's the case, then why are they letting it be mixed/mastered by a deaf person. ~_~
And if it is Shiina's prerogative, doesn't anybody tell her that it sounds shitty, sabotage-y, suicidal. Same goes if it was the highly experienced/talented producer influencing, should've trusted other people's ears for the final mix/master.

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Yeah, that's right people have complained about the mastering. It didn't take me out of the album. It's obvious it was happening and I don't necessarily buy it as a style, I don't think its necessarily evil. Some people take a hard line on clipped peaks, and I get where they come from but I don't find it distracting here (which it occasionally was on Reimport.) The mixing and production greatly helped in this regard.

Onna no ko wa Daredemo is 3 neko 5 me.
I hope by mixing and production, you only meant the arranging and the ideas of what sounds to incorporate in the songs. )
...because the EQing of each instruments and as a whole are still s̶h̶i̶t̶t̶y̶ disappointing for me.

And aww, doge speak. I guess you don't appreciate cute swingy Shiina. XD

My defunct band.
waranghira is offline   Reply With Quote