Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2008.09.16, 12:36 AM   #31
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the packaging has a regular grooved cd top and bottom unstead of the smooth glassy dvd sides usually on her releases....the rest of the packaging is bliss.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.16, 03:47 AM   #32
Mr Sands

Mr Sands is headed in the right direction

Bought it, watched it, owned by it.

It kicked much bottom.

I'm dead happy at the moment. Wooooo!
Mr Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.16, 03:52 AM   #33
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

This is one awesome slab of disc. I think it blows GE out of the water, and I will be brazen enough to say that I think it is a very close second to DO as far as her whole DVD catalogue goes. I love Electric Mole, but I feel like it is greatly flawed by the edits and extraneous footage. This, on the other hand, is beautifully shot, and relatively "pure", which is another reason I highly value the fan club live DVD, and might go so far as to put that in my top three. This is an extremely committed performance by the whole band. Even her most reviled guitarist comes off pretty well here. Hard to tell why they sat on it for so long, but it was worth the wait.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.16, 03:54 AM   #34
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

^Agreed! Dynamite out is the best band concert DVD and Zazen is her best solo DVD ~BY MILES~ no messing or stage crap just song after song the way it should be.

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2008.09.16 at 04:39 AM.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.16, 04:11 AM   #35
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

You might want to change "solo show" to "solo DVD"
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.16, 05:42 AM   #36
kuro_neko

few thoughts

firstly, it interesting to note that Ringo, during her MC, introduces herself and the band as Gyakutai Glycogen. After releasing SS and touring on Gekokujou Ecstacy, she did a month of touring with her side project Hatsuiku Status and then some with the Gyakutai Glycogen; arguably, this show is a performance by them, not necessarily solo Shiina Ringo, which is probably one of the reasons they were sitting on it until now.

During Nippon ni Umarete you can see a mannequin of Gekokujou Ecstacy Ringo hanging in the background during the performance....from this live, continuing with Baishou Ecstacy and the next album, Ringo was increasingly more Japanese style and less Western in terms of her appearance and style, so this is a comment on that, moving from one to the other (why she had the entire band play in yukata and such). This is pretty much summarized on the Japanese wiki as well if you think I'm just rambling from my rear end.

the sticker, as well as different logos for ZX say "wearing uwazouri (inside slippers) is strictly prohibited," kind of amusing.

overall the DVD was a nice little package, a nice glimpse into the past. I'd say for some parts of the show she seemed a little too much under the impression "less is more" aka bored looking but she really let it out on some songs....Unconditional Love really got to me and Nippon ni Umarete definitely proves Ringo doesn't need a pianist for Tokyo Jihen hehe.
Old 2008.09.16, 05:44 AM   #37
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

for a moment during Unconditional Love I thought she was gonna cry! she seemed a little choked up for a second or two.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.16, 06:02 AM   #38
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I'm really looking forward to watching this now. I wasn't hyped before because I haven't ordered it yet but you've got me excited. Now I don't know if I should acquire the inevitable rip, or wait until I do order it in a few weeks.
Old 2008.09.16, 06:06 AM   #39
kuro_neko

well at the time she was just about two months pregnant with Junji's baby, the guitarist who was playing about 5 feet from her. I'd reckon at the time she knew she was probably pregnant...maybe he didn't know yet...hahaha, its like Days of Our Lives....that same year, in November, Junji was registered into her family's registry and she was 5 months pregnant. soooo maybe there was some early drama going on inside her head
Old 2008.09.16, 06:10 AM   #40
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by natsume View Post
This is one awesome slab of disc. I think it blows GE out of the water.
Totally agree with this. GX doesn't doesn't even come close. Even the songs that are on both DVDs are much better than GX. I can more than tolerate Yayoshi during this performance and the keyboard player annoyed me less. The crucified Ringo mannequin was fucking awesome.

Now we just need a DVD featuring the 1999 version of Gyakutai Glycogen. Before Yayoshi replaced Nishikawa. That would be made of even more win than this performance.