Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2015.08.18, 07:38 PM   #1151
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
The fact that most are fans for over 10 years makes me more sad when I see what she's become... way to slap the loyal in the face.
As a fan of over 10 years who continues to love her output I am so confused by this statement.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.18, 08:38 PM   #1152
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Smile

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
Surely there are many male fans who appreciate her for her skill and intelligence and for the fact that she doesn't pander to them?
Yes, I'm sure she recognizes that Perhaps she was a bit glib about it, but I guess I can understand being caught off guard by the number of male fans that go to shows (I would guess that it's way over 1% for domestic shows) when she doesn't even have men in mind while she write music (her words, same article as I linked before).

Also, I can agree with gekokujyo's comment as another one who's been with Ringo for 10 or so years... thankfully, the poll (not sure how many of the ~10k viewing responded, so it may not be an accurate reflection) shows that people who were "disappointed" are largely in the minority if they had things they didn't like, hopefully they responded with what she could do to improve, but it felt overall like a success! And Nagaku Mijikai Matsuri got 7.7% for favorite song of the night, fall and lip-synch be damned

Like Maou said a couple posts ago, I (and probably lots of fans) would love more mixing of genres and experimentation in the eventual singles and whenever-she-gets-around-to-it album... but I've personally never felt regret or disappointment while following her music--I'm personally happy as long as she makes music that she's pleased with (which is debatable and something we'll never know for sure besides her vocal love for Hashire wa number )

Last edited by tsukigimehime : 2015.08.18 at 08:43 PM.
tsukigimehime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.18, 09:05 PM   #1153
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by tsukigimehime View Post
Also, I can agree with gekokujyo's comment as another one who's been with Ringo for 10 or so years... thankfully, the poll (not sure how many of the ~10k viewing responded, so it may not be an accurate reflection) shows that people who were "disappointed" are largely in the minority
I agree with gekokujyo as well.

As of a minute ago, it appears there were 798 responses to the poll. So it should be a fairly significant sample.
Old 2015.08.18, 10:50 PM   #1154
waranghira

waranghira has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I don't think DG is necessarily comparing Togawa and Ringo directly. It's more like he's expressing that there is far more to the genre that can be explored and Ringo's simply not doing that. If that's what he means, I'm in agreement. Ringo's cabaret/jazz/showtune material is often safe and samey. She needs to start deconstructing and mixing genres again even if the focus is on jazz/cabaret. A trippy acid jazz/rock album would be a nice change of pace.
I want her to do more jazz/funk/rock songs that throws people off their feet. I see potential in the autotune songs, but the backing could've been more interesting. Even Saihate, it could've been more than steady-stagnant backing.

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
My theory is that everybody knows Nagoshi is better than Uki and Nagoshi simply didn't want to embarrass Uki by playing such an awesome solo.
Uki did all the clean solos btw, and they were wicked. Although they were only a few.
Nagoshi did most of the rock solos. And he already did the bridge solo for Ariamaru so it really sucked balls that it didn't end with the ending solo.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
98% female.
Hmmm. Interesting.

This could potentially explain a lot. Or nothing.
That's not really accurate. Yeah, there were loads more women, but not that percentage. Maybe only twice as many males. Heck, I didn't know/answered that survey. )

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
And overwhelmingly middle-aged too.
I was glad to see old people. Shows that Ringo isn't your typical idol.

My defunct band.
waranghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.19, 08:25 AM   #1155
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by waranghira View Post
Uki did all the clean solos btw, and they were wicked. Although they were only a few.
Nagoshi did most of the rock solos. And he already did the bridge solo for Ariamaru so it really sucked balls that it didn't end with the ending solo.
Yeah, that's kinda what I expected. I'm hoping Ringo brings back Izonshou for the Japan tour and we get some crazy dual solo ending jam from Uki and Nagoshi.
Old 2015.08.19, 09:14 AM   #1156
zordon

zordon is headed in the right direction

The Cola song was the bottom right, so I'm past Ringo roasting, I'm all hopeful now, everything's gonna be alright.

Are there any videos from Rock in Japan yet? JPS has a few 40GB files worth of RIJ footage yet no Shiina there, which is kinda disappointing, I just wanna see more of her live.
zordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.19, 10:03 AM   #1157
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I haven't been here long enough to know but do ya'll really dislike coke song more than NIPPON? That shit makes coke song look like KZK, imo. Autotune/vocoder or no.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.19, 10:25 AM   #1158
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Wink

Originally Posted by zordon View Post
The Cola song was the bottom right, so I'm past Ringo roasting, I'm all hopeful now, everything's gonna be alright.
If by bottom you're referring to the poll (listed in order performed) then yea, but it got 7.7% of current survey respondents' favor may have had to do with the touching fans' hands and fun stage presence, but afaik it's generally well-received. Maybe people are looking at it as a good pop song with good lyrics instead of a stain in the catalogue of one Sheena Ringo

All pokes aside though, I respect you guys who don't personally like the song! I'm sure there are songs of hers that I'm not too fond of but that you (general you) probably enjoy. And Ringo's RIJ performance wasn't on the live broadcast but maybe in a few months footage will be out ...

Last edited by tsukigimehime : 2015.08.19 at 10:37 AM.
tsukigimehime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.08.19, 10:32 AM   #1159
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by K__ View Post
I haven't been here long enough to know but do ya'll really dislike coke song more than NIPPON? That shit makes coke song look like KZK, imo. Autotune/vocoder or no.
That's a tough one. For me it comes down mostly to the vocals. In the Coke song they're processed almost beyond recognition, even live; meanwhile I've never really heard a live rendition of NIPPON that didn't sound like she was struggling with it.
Old 2015.08.19, 11:03 AM   #1160
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I'm still holding on, based on that one moment the facade slipped, to the belief that she knows it's all bullshit and that the song was just a cheap shot to catapult her back into relevance among the general public. Coke song is probably the same deal, but at least the chord progression is cool. MV's great too.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote