Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.05.13, 08:58 AM   #1
waxringo

waxringo has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Default Shena on american tv...?

Am I nuts? I swear I saw a flash of her on tv. i ended up having to leave cause i had a fire call...i'm angry. has anyone ever seen her on tv?
Old 2007.05.13, 09:56 AM   #2
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

I saw her at a Catalan channel. They were talkin' about Japanese music, and, for a 5 seconds, "la salle de bain" PV appeared in my TV!
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.13, 10:03 AM   #3
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

She was on Swedish tv some two years ago on a culture-music program that had a special on Japanese music and/or culture (it's a long time ago, I don't remember)
I was all set for this show of course, already being deep into Ringo (figuratively speaking). But I had no idea (well) that they chose to even bring something up about her. They showed like one, one and a half or two minutes with the Tsumiki Asobi PV and such. They said something like "the true/well hidden gem of East Asia/Japan" (orientalistic in a sense). I don't remember the exact wording, but hidden was there and some valuable piece of rock.
She hasn't been featured since, I guess.
Just recently there was a show about Johnny's - a followup to a book that was released like three years ago. A Swedish journalist woman being crazy about Tackey & Tsubasa and all those groups. This time the tv team followed some two Swedish guys going to Tokyo to meet up some producers and even meet one of those bands. The Swedish guys were song composers, but I guess they probably never knew beforehand what artists were gonna have their songs in their repertoire; they probably just blindly sold the music to some company in Japan. Turned out it hit the number one Oricon or something like that.

Anyway, my point is, even if you're a big artist on Johnny's, or Ayu or whatever you're NOT ever featured on Swedish TV. That's why I was surprised thatRingo showed up. It's like, BULLSEYE, really. Then again, that one music show was a tad more artsy, not the general mainstream consumer kind of show.

Sorry, I remember writing this some time on Ringo Jihen. Here I went again.

Last edited by Jonny : 2007.05.13 at 10:08 AM.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.13, 11:45 AM   #4
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

She should visit the U.S.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.13, 02:31 PM   #5
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Does a hotel room in Seattle broadcasting a Japanese program count?
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.13, 03:14 PM   #6
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

They used some Jihen/Ringo music during a BBC documentary, Jonathan Ross' Japanorama. It wasn't about Shiina, nor music at all... just Japan's culture in general. I think it was used during a scene about Japanese street racing, plus a different song later in the episode. I was pleasantly surprised. I wonder if Jonathan Ross is a fan.
Old 2007.05.13, 07:55 PM   #7
Jer

Jer is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
Does a hotel room in Seattle broadcasting a Japanese program count?
No.

-makespostlonger-
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.14, 01:17 PM   #8
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

It wasn't Shiina, but I was walking around San Francisco's Chinatown this weekend, and heard this very familiar melody on the muzak coming out of a store. At first I couldn't place it, but then I realized it was the UA song "Milk Tea".

Very strange, I don't know if it was Chinese cable muzak, or if it was some pan-Asian cable muzak chanel. I'm pretty certain that that song has never been released in the US, maybe on some obscure compilation. My guess is that that was imported muzak, Chinese or Japanese.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.05.15, 01:49 PM   #9
S_p_h_y

S_p_h_y doesn't have posts anyone cares about yet

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
I saw her at a Catalan channel. They were talkin' about Japanese music, and, for a 5 seconds, "la salle de bain" PV appeared in my TV!
LOOOL, on 3xl? xDD i want to see that ._.
S_p_h_y is offline   Reply With Quote