Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.11.16, 07:11 PM   #161
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

^ oh no, please don't start another turtlefu vs. inseu epic again. Or at least create a new thread for it :-p
Old 2013.11.16, 08:07 PM   #162
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

>"gangster rappers"
WhatYearIsIt?.meme

When Oomori's vocals go off the rails, that's when her music ascends to that next level. That's what makes it "her" music. I remember a certain other female artist that used to have that same quality who was never quite the same once she narrowed her vocal range and style.
Old 2013.11.16, 08:46 PM   #163
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I remember a certain other female artist that used to have that same quality who was never quite the same once she narrowed her vocal range and style.
Yeah, I agree, Karen O is boring now
Old 2013.11.18, 07:25 AM   #164
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Listening to Poi Dol right now. P good. I'm not as sour-puss as I was this weekend.

I LOVE the guitars on "Kimi to Eiga" EDIT:...I said this before the huge solo at the end.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2013.11.18 at 07:29 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.03, 04:08 PM   #165
deadgrandma

ラーメンの話

Oomori playing one of the new songs from Zettai Shoujo live. It sends shivers down my spine when I watch/listen to it.
Old 2013.12.09, 04:21 PM   #166
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
ラーメンの話

Oomori playing one of the new songs from Zettai Shoujo live. It sends shivers down my spine when I watch/listen to it.

just saw her post this on her twitter,

s.o.

also clt one of my favorite songs off the Seiko Strip album

lastsong
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.10, 04:13 PM   #167
deadgrandma

Well, I've just listened to Oomori's Zettai Shoujo.

First impressions:

Wow, what a surprising album.

It opens with 2 massive, idol pop tracks (that sound amazing for what they are btw), but after this, that trademark Oomori guitar comes out and things get much much more interesting. I cannot comprehend what I've just listened to. It's like the first time you listen to Shouso Strip. Time to play it again.

"Over the Party" on this is heart wrenchingly perfect. "PS" is gorgeous. "hayatochiri" features her best vocals yet. And sooo beautifully layered.

It's not nearly as stripped back as other releases (although don't worry- there are still a few guitar + voice songs- which I love so much), it may be more accessible to others. But yes, I'm not disappointed whatsoever. The absolute opposite actually.

*Starts to listen again*
Old 2013.12.10, 05:37 PM   #168
Tokyo Jihad

Make an Oomori thread brah.
Old 2013.12.10, 06:31 PM   #169
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

At this point I think DG should start his own Oomori/Togawa forum He's probably their #1 fan in the entire world.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.10, 08:42 PM   #170
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
At this point I think DG should start his own Oomori/Togawa forum He's probably their #1 fan in the entire world.
Is that really all it takes?

There's been at least 4 Shiina Ringo forums which were in English. What do you suppose the chances are, that the people who started each of those forums were all top fans? My physical collection might be #1 outside Japan, but does that make me the #1 fan? Does that have much (if anything) to do why this community persists while the others are gone?

It takes a team of decent staff to make a community worth anything. That's what the other SR communities didn't have. They each had one staff member trying to do all the work, if anything was getting done at all. That's not sustainable. Nor can you immediately recruit a bunch of worthless staff just for the sake of having 'more' staff.

It's also not just about whether the staff contribute enough - it's about whether an artist's fanbase is truly large enough to warrant a dedicated forum, when the fanbase is small enough to where only one fan knows how to maintain a messageboard, if any fan(s) at all. What most often happens, is some fan (of Artist X) who has almost no idea what they're doing, starts the first messageboard of that artist, and nobody maintains it, so it dies.

I say these things not to belittle deadgrandma or any of the artists he takes seriously, but to remind you all that for every EMF, there's a handful of other boards which failed the same fanbase.