Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.02.16, 02:14 PM   #101
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
i'm impressed how Ringo's concerns directly address what many people on this forum have mentioned. Her desire to screw the band and do a song with just her and a synth is funny.

she doesnt even think Noudoteki is very catchy. that sounds familiar. its like she's one of us.
I don't think that is what she meant about 3min. We already knew that she wrote the song and brought it to Jihen as a practice song, to get them to where she wanted them to be in order to try other material. The lyrics she wrote were mostly nonsense, to fit the music, and it was used as a rehearsal song, until it was chosen for the CM and for the single. Ringo is always going to be Ringo's harshest critic, and considering japanese is a language of constantly belittling yourself to sound polite, I don't think Ringo literally means she thinks the song is crap. She would never have released it if that was the case, I think she is just being polite. In japanese it is often the case when you give a gift to say something along the lines of "this is a rather boring and trite gift, but please accept it." Most people don't really think that, of course, but its the custom to place yourself below in order to honor your intended target and act polite.

in fact, she has said the same thing about every single they've had more or less. She said, concerning OSCA, that it was a song she thought that would be disliked amongst Japanese listeners and didn't expect it to do well (this was before its release), and for Shuraba she said that she had given some demos to the television producers for show it was featured on and was shocked when they picked Shuraba, which she didn't think they'd like.

3min is an awesome song, it IS groovy and I don't get the hate for it, but hey, whatever.

the fact that Ringo puts so much though and effort into her work is truly a blessing. The theme for variety was artistic cohesion as a band, so she wanted to let people be comfortable, so they would bond and meld together, but for this album she seemed to really want to push them and herself, to be as experimental as possible. I hope they don't keep the leftovers for the next album, I'd be interested in seeing where they would go from here. The comments about being disappointed to follow jihen as they find their legs are interesting, but this is the way I look at it. Kyouiku is a different animal because it was almost entirely ringo compositions and had two different members, so at this point its a moot point. Adult was the first Phase 2 album but again, mostly Ringo compositions and Ringo calling the shots. Variety was almost the debut of Tokyo Jihen as an actual band and not just Ringo and Session Musicians Phase 2, so a lot changed and didn't work for most of us. In a way this is almost like their real sophmore effort as a band. reading the reviews makes me think of a lot of things that are often said about artist's second albums, the sophmore slump etc (which usually fail because they can't top the success of the first. in this case that doesn't apply, but often artists often venture into unexpected experimental categories, as would be the case here). Either way, if there is at least one new track on the album that you like, I'd say its worth it, especially considering a lot of us aren't even paying for it, so...

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2010.02.16 at 02:21 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.16, 02:15 PM   #102
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Hey, Marvelous Days is one of my favorite demos of hers ;_;!!
Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
Don't take the name of "Marvelous Days" in vain, nonbeliever!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.16, 04:23 PM   #103
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
LOOOOOOOOL, I hadn't noticed the moles XD!!
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.16, 04:38 PM   #104
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

XD I think that picture pretty much illustrates the track #3

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Yahiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.16, 07:38 PM   #105
mae

mae is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
XD I think that picture pretty much illustrates the track #3
that was unexpected. i haven't listen to the album yet, now how would I be able to without laughing...
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.16, 07:56 PM   #106
obama917

obama917 has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I don't think Ringo literally means she thinks the song is crap.
Of course she doesn't mean by 'not catchy' it is crap. Maybe I should have translated this part more in detail, sorry! She also says that 3min is not a kind of song that is made sweet to please people, and she wrote it solely to satisfy her artistic desire. That is why she was pleased with it hitting number one.

And many thanks everyone for your positive feedback to my post, which I find encouraging. I will post the TJ bit of the MUSICA interview later.
obama917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.16, 08:02 PM   #107
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by obama917 View Post
Of course she doesn't mean by 'not catchy' it is crap. Maybe I should have translated this part more in detail, sorry! She also says that 3min is not a kind of song that is made sweet to please people, and she wrote it solely to satisfy her artistic desire. That is why she was pleased with it hitting number one.

And many thanks everyone for your positive feedback to my post, which I find encouraging. I will post the TJ bit of the MUSICA interview later.
obama, I haven't read the interview so I can't confirm or criticize anything you wrote, I was responding to a comment from another user mentioning the song etc. when we translate japanese to english it comes off a lot harsher sometimes just based on cultural differences, that is why I just wanted to point out that Ringo's comment was most likely politeness and not actually displaying her dissatisfaction with how the song turned out.
Old 2010.02.16, 08:20 PM   #108
obama917

obama917 has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
obama, I haven't read the interview so I can't confirm or criticize anything you wrote
I see, that is my misunderstanding. Thank you for the correction.
obama917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.16, 08:32 PM   #109
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by obama917 View Post
I see, that is my misunderstanding. Thank you for the correction.
haha, no I'm very appreciative of your translations and I think you did a great job! always good to have translators/news sources around here!
Old 2010.02.16, 11:25 PM   #110
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

I would not be the slightest bit surprised if ringo comes on here and is actually one of the members who claim to be from europe....or texas or whatever (maybe its jihad).

If that is the case, I have a message for you Ringo.....I'm going to get that time machine from you and take my songs back. Just you wait! Only 2 more degrees of seperation til we meet and when we do, you best hide it where I'll never find it
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote