Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2011.04.12, 08:30 AM   #851
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Everyone's expectations of the album, as disillusioned Shiina fans, thought "Well, Shiina isn't writing it, so it must be shit".
False. That was the expectation of Sports after this miserable album.
Old 2011.04.12, 12:40 PM   #852
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Isn't it funny how from everyone I've talked to who has listened to the whole album, only people who were previously fans of Shiina had a negative opinion of it? What does that say?
The only fault this album has is not being in Shiina's standard style.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.12, 12:50 PM   #853
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Isn't it funny how from everyone I've talked to who has listened to the whole album, only people who were previously fans of Shiina had a negative opinion of it? What does that say?
The only fault this album has is not being up to Shiina's standard.
Fixed that conclusion for you
Old 2011.04.12, 01:24 PM   #854
TurtleFu

"If you're not me then you must have horrible taste in music", huh?
Old 2011.04.12, 01:39 PM   #855
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

That's not at all the case. If you like Variety, then that's fine. If you found that fans of Shiina prior to, and including, Adult tended to dislike Variety I think its a jump to pin it on "style." Like Shiina to that point never veered styles. Fans who had followed her for a while obviously have a different background and different expectations for a Shiina album than fans just jumping in now and at that time. Existing fans had a bar, they had a frame and if the album didn't cross that bar then yeah, they will think it's a disappointment.

I'm not going to take the obvious troll bait. Nowhere did I say "horrible taste" (at least in any recent post.) But, in my time of participating-slash-"trolling" music forums, it is easy to see newer fans tend to be more accepting of stuff in general. Sort of a "Its part of the catalog, even if it's not great I have to accept that" whereas existing fans remember a time where it wasn't a part of the catalog and thus are that less hesitant to accept it.

tl;dr: existing fans have pre-existing expectations that new fans do not.
Old 2011.04.12, 01:41 PM   #856
TurtleFu

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
tl;dr: existing fans have pre-existing expectations that new fans do not.
Which is 100% exactly my point? Jihad, I think we might be agreeing here.
Old 2011.04.12, 02:23 PM   #857
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm not sure who I'd know who would like Variety even if I didn't hate it myself. Metro has a quirky rare-groove cool about it that might appeal, but that's about it. Kaban no Nakami people might really like if that was on the album.

Honestly, Variety sounds very populist light rock which is the kind of music many people really hate - google various message boards for threads on "least favourite song" and count the number of people who hate songs like Come on Eileen (I know I do). Then it's marinated late 90s J-pop and dated 70s style sounds, which would make it a total no-go (probably).

But if you're a fan, or particularly if you want to write about why you like it, more power to you. Seriously. (I personally don't care about post-Adult Jihen anyway.)

In my particular case you are right, style matters and that's why I like "this" musician and not "Band X". Experimentalism is good but not the whole story - what's so experimental or edgy about say, Aozora...? But I like Aozora. And in every other case where a musician I liked formed a new band or collaborated with other musicians, I looked forward to it. Noone would expect anything that sounds like a raspberry in the direction of the music that made you a fan before.

Look at the music on UM, or the music Ringo was reported as listening to during that one-note rock album Kyoiku. She liked some really good, diverse songs with an ear for an infectious tune. Even if you knew she wasn't writing for the album you could not have anticipated the Variety (or Sports) sound from those. So really neo-Jihen comes out of a very clear blue sky. Those "old" Radiohead fans who hate on albums post Kid A (who seem a lot angrier than most of EMF) don't know they're born in comparison!

That post doesn't scan well, I'm tired.

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.04.12 at 11:38 PM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.13, 03:51 AM   #858
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

TurtleFu - I validate your taste in music. You can hold your head up high and embrace the neo-Jihen way of life. Because. That's the future of TJ. And the future of SR. And the future of music.

so cold - I don't even like Radiohead albums before Kid A. That that make me cool or does that make me an idiot? Frankly, I can't be bothered to know.
Old 2011.04.13, 04:59 AM   #859
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
so cold - I don't even like Radiohead albums before Kid A. That that make me cool or does that make me an idiot? Frankly, I can't be bothered to know.
Well I prefer Kid A and onwards as well, but my analogy with Radiohead was a band I could think of that made a big musical departure or did whatever it was to cause a bitter rift in their original fanbase. The only other I can think of on the TJ scale is the Black Eyed Peas.

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.13, 06:24 AM   #860
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Only radiohead album I don't like is in rainbows. Don't know why but after the ridiculous amount of praise it got, it should be better. The king of limbs, however, is to my understanding generally disliked (at least on release) but its much better. But yeah generally radiohead are a band I listen to around friends cause they are safe music for everyone. Which is why I can't understand when someone says they are their personal fave band- when there's nothing really personal about them. Hard to explain and I prob sound like an asshole.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.04.13 at 06:25 AM. Reason: typo
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote