Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: The Latter Three
Kyouiku 8 38.10%
Adult 8 38.10%
Sanmon Gossip 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012.10.31, 01:24 PM   #11
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
This.

Listening to this version is about as fun as listening to Lady Gaga singing Pokerface accompanied only by an accordion.
Hey, if Weird Al could pull it off, it can't be that bad
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.31, 04:22 PM   #12
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Is Mirrorball EMF’s most hated song. I’ll just say, while I’m tipsy on this fine Halloween night, with delusional pumpkin men thinking that confectionary will resolve the hollowness, that I’ve LOVED every opening to Mirrorball. i.e. Discovery, but when SR symmstarts singing Ai Yai etc. the song feels a bit ’off. ’
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.31, 04:45 PM   #13
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Discovery, but when SR symmstarts singing Ai Yai etc. the song feels a bit ’off. ’
Does it matter though? I love it when she..."meows", triggers a rush of dopamine in my brain every time.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.31, 06:08 PM   #14
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

What’s funny is how long that song rambles on until she finally makes that sound. I don’t understand how someone so musically illiterate as me as far as critiquing it can pick up the fact that a lot of Uki’s music needs abridging while the supposed professionals could not

In regards to the poll, I’ll make up my mind tomorrow.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.01, 07:51 AM   #15
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Is Mirrorball EMF’s most hated song.
Not sure. I think Ramp ranks lower. I mean, Mirrorball isn't exactly a bad song. It just drags and overstays its welcome by about minute or so.

Re: Album production

Is Kyouiku's production really any worse than Adult's? They sit at opposite ends of the scale. One is very rough around the edges while the other is so clean that it's bland/boring. It's a push.
Old 2012.11.01, 02:53 PM   #16
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I disagree. Adult's production is clean, but not bland. To me, overly clean production would be something like Sports, where everything is bright and poppy even when it shouldn't be, or Variety, where every song sounds the same.
Adult is polished, but it allows itself some dirtiness in songs like Kenka Joutou or Kabuki.

I feel like when people vote Kyouiku, they are thinking about Dynamite Out. But Kyouiku is not Dynamite Out. If Tokyo Jihen never performed Dynamite Out, and we never heard the superior live versions of those songs, then it would be far more decisive that Adult is a better album.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.01, 04:25 PM   #17
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I feel like when people vote Kyouiku, they are thinking about Dynamite Out. But Kyouiku is not Dynamite Out. If Tokyo Jihen never performed Dynamite Out, and we never heard the superior live versions of those songs, then it would be far more decisive that Adult is a better album.
In my case, I heard Kyouiku before Adult existed. Had I not liked Kyouiku already, I wouldn't have explored any of the concert DVDs available to me at the time.

Kyouiku doesn't really owe Dynamite Out anything.
It's always been a great album in its own right, even while we've all repeatedly acknowledged that it was recorded like shit.
Old 2012.11.01, 04:36 PM   #18
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I put all Ringo/Jihen songs on one playlist and call it "Ringo Awesomeness", then put it on shuffle. Then I find myself not bitching any more.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.02, 08:15 AM   #19
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I disagree. Adult's production is clean, but not bland. To me, overly clean production would be something like Sports, where everything is bright and poppy even when it shouldn't be, or Variety, where every song sounds the same.
Adult is polished, but it allows itself some dirtiness in songs like Kenka Joutou or Kabuki.
Oddly enough, Kenka Joutou and Kabuki are the two songs I feel suffer the most from Adult's overly clean production. Blackout would be a third. Superstar does a far better job of dirtying the album up. There is absolutely no drive behind either of those songs you named. Kabuki makes me laugh with how weak SR's anger comes off in the song with the sparse and overly clean music. I have two unrelated thoughts based on your post:

1) If you consider Kenka Joutou and Kabuki as being dirty, than Bokoku Joushou and the Genjitsu songs bring the cleanliness to Kyouiku. So again, complete opposites.

2) Brightness =/= clean production. I'm not sure in which world Kenka Joutou and Kabuki sound less sterile than Zettai Zetsumei, Denpa Tsuushin, Gaman or even Pinocchio and Kaban no Nakami.

That's quite a conclusion to jump to when you had previously said:

Kyouiku had probably the best songs.
It's so hard to believe the production doesn't bother people enough to detract from the strength of the songs? Better songs = better album.
Old 2012.11.02, 09:23 AM   #20
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Yeah, I guess to me, an "album" is taken as a single artistic work/statement, and you need to take into consideration the individual elements (composition, performance, arrangements, production, etc.). Kyouiku, taken as individual elements, should come out on top, but I feel like Adult makes a better more complete "whole" or "sum".
Notice in my assessment that all three had highs and lows. Overall I chose Adult because I believe Adult's highs and lows even out to create a solid package, as opposed to Kyouiku, which although is extremely good, I don't feel like it's one solid little package (wrapped in a bow).
This analogy is making my head hurt.

I guess I can understand not being bothered by the production (especially if you are used to garage rock where that kind of production is common). Even so, the difference between them is negligible. Adult is like a 9.3 and Kyouiku is like a 9.2999999 IMO

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.11.02 at 09:30 AM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote