Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Would you follow a non-Ringo Tokyo Jihen reunion?
Yes 9 42.86%
No 12 57.14%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013.06.04, 09:04 PM   #1
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer
Default Hypothetical question

So I ask (for a bit of fun, nothing serious),

Would you follow Tokyo Jihen if they were to reform (same members as Phase 2) but without Ringo?
Old 2013.06.04, 09:56 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Hell no.

A non-Ringo reunion of Tokyo Jihen wouldn't be so bad if they got some other woman to do the vocals (even if I wouldn't like her as much as Ringo). If it were just the four boys, I wouldn't be interested at all, because I don't want to hear them singing to jointly-created songs. Bon Voyage could have been so much better if HZM himself had sung it instead of Ukigumo, while PETROLZ albums are so much better for not having HZM's vocals.

Izawa and Ukigumo are better apart than they are together. Their voices only work well in a singer-songwriter context where nobody else's strong creativity is factoring into the sound.

Mantra was weird, but it did eventually grow on me to where I wouldn't want the rest of Jihen (with or without Ringo) anywhere in that album. Similarly, I don't think I would've liked capture 419 more, if Izawa or Kameda had been involved.
Old 2013.06.05, 12:02 AM   #3
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Sure, out of sheer morbid curiosity. The only way I could see it working is if they were to forego a vocalist entirely and do straight post-rock/shoegaze. Izawa would naturally be on guitar full-time.

Actually, come to think of it, this needs to happen.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.05, 02:55 AM   #4
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Tokyo Jihen sans Shiina Ringo would be very different from Phase 1 or 2. Even if she wasn't the main composer, Jihen is heavily impacted by her style of songwriting and her musical preferences. Jihen (including Inoue Uni) without Ringo could be interesting.

Tokyo Jihen Phase 3 making pop music with a new vocalist doesn't interest me in the slightest.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.05, 05:01 AM   #5
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Absolutely not. Ringo was the only reason I cared even a little, and I maintain a strong dislike of Ukigumo and Izawa as people and musicians. Kameda is ok but I'm just not into his schmaltzy ballads and while Hata seems like a cool guy and a good drummer (maybe a little self-destructive), I did not like his song.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.05, 08:21 AM   #6
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

if it'll happen I would be interested in listening to their first output together out of curiosity, but I really don't think I'll like it. plus, I don't think Kameda would ever agree to reform without Ringo, they are too close to each other
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.05, 09:03 AM   #7
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I'd give it a spin and, if its anything like the band's existing catalog, I would not care. However, I will inadvertently follow them as they would be the topic of choice on EMF.
Old 2013.06.05, 12:36 PM   #8
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

If they make Ringo-esque music (very unlikely), then yes. But following is one thing, buying their stuff is another.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.05, 02:02 PM   #9
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

imagine if they'll chose Hata as the vocalist? now that would be something..
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.07, 01:01 AM   #10
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

No interest whatsoever. The other guys have no stage presence or charisma. They're basically a bunch of session musicians. Yeah, they're talented but they don't have the songwriting chops or the energy to sustain interest like Ringo does. I'd be really surprised if they came up with anything worthwhile together. None of the guys can really sing and you know that Kameda would write more songs. Ice Cream no Uta and Kai-horrordust are basically previews of what a non-Ringo Jihen would be like. Yeah. Thanks but no thanks.