Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.
Closed Thread

Old 2007.04.07, 06:29 PM   #21
milk

milk pleased at least somebody

Can't think of too many off the top of my head, but I like Lost in Translation too! There doesn't seem to be much going on and there are lots of 'talking' scenes but it just captures you and pulls you in and by the time it ends, you wish it would go on forever. Now I just wish I can get to watch Match Point for more Johansson (juicy) hotness.

Another movie I really like is Cast Away. I watched it in a theatre way back when and it was such a solid movie-going experience! Just love the part when the airplane is about to crash and everything is drowned out by the deafening rumble of the plane and then you see the ocean approaching at such a high speed that you wince as the plane hits. Truly awesome! Change of pace...much much slower and time seems to stretch on forever. The feel of being 'shipwrecked' is very apparent and appropriate. All the clever little things, Wilson, turning from idiot fisherman to spear-fishing extraordinaire. I almost didn't want him to go back to civilization. But, really, there was nothing else to do on the island. :L

BTTF is definitely a favourite. I bought the trilogy which had the defective pressing and haven't exchanged them yet. Been hoping to buy the proper release but haven't seen them in my favourite DVD shops yet. Great Scott!!

Gattaca is another gem...semi-futuristic films are great. Love the whole premise. Inspiring.

Spiderman 1 & 2. Great action and beautiful Kirsten!! She's not the normal definition of beauty but she looks so great in movies..she's definitely got the x-factor.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse really tanked for me. I hated how they turned it into some supernatural gorefest. She can't have super powers!! The game doesn't have that!! Related to this is the terrible terrible terrible movie that is Ultraviolet. Insanely shitty. Words cannot describe the numbing pain I feel when I recall what a pile of crap it is. Mila should be in more movies like 5th Element. Somebody run me through the good stuff she's done...

Carrie. Holy shit. Now that is a scary film. You are really on edge during scenes like when she gets home from the botched school prom. You don't realise what is half-hidden behind her door right away and when you do, it hits you so hard you have to stifle a scream rising from the depths of your stomach. Also the final scene where her friend is dreaming...just when you think things are finally going to settle down...BOOM and you get knocked flat out.

Mannequin. Kim Cattrall hotness. Enough said.

Seems like during the course of this post, my language deteriorated rapidly. Shall end here for now.

edit:OK more stuff:
Stephen Chow movies new and old. Takes you back to the good old days.. slapstick insanely wacky laughs.

Old boy is effing SICK! but good... incest, tongue-cutting, gurgling madness.

Jackie Chan movies! Rolling good times, mad skills. The original 'parkour'.

ps. Speaking of resident evil..am I the only one who thinks the new 'reply', 'quote' etc buttons remind you of resident evil the game? They have the same 'slightly blur' quality to them and the exact same font! NEW GAME...LOAD..etc ()

Last edited by milk : 2007.04.07 at 06:50 PM.
Old 2007.04.07, 06:35 PM   #22
Mad_Mac

Mad_Mac pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Honourable mention: Old Boy; Choi Min-Sik is the most amazing actor in the world.
I love old boy to... What a Story, and Act. ORIGINAL

Mmhhh..
1. Forest Gump
2. My Sassy Girl
3. The School Of Rock
4. Kill Bill Vol.1(only)
5. Almost all Bruce Willis Movie.
6. God Must Be Crazy
Old 2007.04.07, 07:10 PM   #23
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Mad_Mac View Post
4. Kill Bill Vol.1(only)
Quoted for truth.

I concur on School of Rock too. Which I know sounds funny coming from me =P
Old 2007.04.07, 09:00 PM   #24
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I love hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of movies, but here are my top 5 faves of all time, from all categories.

1. Blue Velvet (David Lynch)
2. The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah)
3. Blow Out (Brian De Palma)
4. The Godfather, Part II (Francis Ford Coppola)
5. I always save this spot for a revolving door of faves. For now, I'll say....Used Cars! (Robert Zemeckis)

My 3 favorite horror movies:

1. Night of the Living Dead (George A. Romero)
2. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Tobe Hooper)
3. Carrie (De Palma again)

3 favorite Japanese movies:

1. All About Lily Chou-Chou (Shunji Iwai)
2. The Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa)
3. The End of Evangelion (Hideaki Anno)

3 favorite Hong Kong movies:

1. Chungking Express (Wong Kar-Wai)
2. Project A, Part II (Jackie Chan)
3. So Close (Corey Yuen)

3 favorite Korean movies:

1. My Sassy Girl
2. Oldboy
3. The Host
Old 2007.04.07, 09:23 PM   #25
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

New movie to add to the list: GRINDHOUSE.

Pure, unmitigated, copious amounts of ridiculous awesome. Probably one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a couple years. I literally cheered at the end.
Old 2007.04.07, 10:36 PM   #26
Fukurou

Fukurou pleased at least somebody

Die hard : the ultimate actionner.
McTiernan is the master.

Pulp fiction...and all QT movies anyway (can't wait for Grindhouse here in France but those bitches decided to...split the movie in two !)

Seven Samurai from Kurosawa, and other chambara : Samurai assassin, Rebellion, the Baby cart movies...and oh, there's so much great other chambara from 60's, i can't write them all.

Stalker from Andrei Tarkovski. Philosophical, ethereal experience.

SF masterpieces : Robocop, Terminator and the sequel, Back to the future (one of the best, if not the best adventure movies ever). Oh and so many other but again, can't write pages of it.

Park Chan Wook trilogy of vengeance is great indeed, but i'm glad his next film (I'm a cyborg but it's ok) seems to look like completely different.

I frickin like Carpenter too, his weakest was Ghost of Mars but still, enjoyable.
At the top of his filmo is In the mouth of Madness and Prince of Darkness for me.

I forgot to talk about the great, productive, inventive, eclectic Tsui Hark too.
The Blade is a bomb.

Sogo Ishii : Happy family, Electric dragon 80000 V, Gojoe, so much different masterpieces with greaaaat movie direction.

French cinema : Renoir (La grande illusion/Illusion) Henri Geroges Clouzot (Le salaire de la peur/Wages of fear), Michel Audiard (Les tontons flingueurs) and his son Jacques (De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté)...

Well, i'll stop there since i'm a little too much fond of movies, i could enumerate a little too much if i don't stop myself :p
Old 2007.04.08, 12:48 PM   #27
Linnéa

Linnéa is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by milk View Post
Can't think of too many off the top of my head, but I like Lost in Translation too!

...Cast Away...BTTF...Gattaca...Spiderman 1 & 2...Resident Evil etc etc
Not too many? XD
I have Cast Away somewhere at home on VHS, got it for my birthday a couple of years ago, but I've never actually gotten to watching it. Maybe I should then
Old 2007.04.08, 01:35 PM   #28
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by CatchFiveBats View Post
New movie to add to the list: GRINDHOUSE.

Pure, unmitigated, copious amounts of ridiculous awesome. Probably one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in a couple years. I literally cheered at the end.

Oh Grindhouse was seven different ways of awesome. My favorite QT movie is Jackie Brown but he keeps getting better and better with every movie. Death Proof is some kind of weird classic.

And the fake trailer for Thanksgiving is pure heaven.
Old 2007.04.08, 02:38 PM   #29
CatchFiveBats

CatchFiveBats has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
Oh Grindhouse was seven different ways of awesome. My favorite QT movie is Jackie Brown but he keeps getting better and better with every movie. Death Proof is some kind of weird classic.

And the fake trailer for Thanksgiving is pure heaven.
Heh, yeah...Grindhouse was an experience, to say the least. As for QT, he makes incredible movies, but he's such an egotistical asshole that I always end up with a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth after his films. Death Proof went on for soooooo long without any real action, but I think that really added to the impact of the ending. I won't say more, but I do think that Planet Terror and Death Proof go hand-in-hand, and the fact that international releases will split the two is a travesty.

And yes, the fake trailers were fantastic. I found it especially funny that Nicolas Cage made a cameo in "Werewolf Women of the S.S.". XD

Last edited by CatchFiveBats : 2007.04.08 at 03:21 PM.
Old 2007.04.08, 02:58 PM   #30
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by CatchFiveBats View Post
As for QT, he makes incredible movies, but he's such an egotistical asshole that I always end up with a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth after his films.
Oh, you think so too?
That is the reason why I don't like QT stuff.

Originally Posted by Fukurou View Post
I forgot to talk about the great, productive, inventive, eclectic Tsui Hark too.
The Blade is a bomb.
I've been wanting to watch this for the longest time. I love Tsui Hark, but where the hell is he now?