Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.04.27, 03:05 PM   #11
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

The video has been repeatedly taken down from YouTube. I doubt it's still there.

I have the official VHS of it (and there is no DVD). Some people still have MPEG-based TV rips from when Space Shower Networks was showing the clips back in the day. That's where the YouTube re-uploads keep coming from.

Also, if you really act the way that Shiina Ringo was acting in the video, and you're a fan - then I am officially intrigued (as much as I can be at a different corner of this country and without knowing what you look like).
Old 2009.04.27, 03:23 PM   #12
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

^ I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels slightly embarrassed watching this video. It is akin to looking at your high school yearbook or through home movies...I bet Ringo has never watched this since it was made.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.27, 09:36 PM   #13
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
The video has been repeatedly taken down from YouTube. I doubt it's still there.
EMI PR department doing some image "cleansing." Similar to how the government is skewing Japans role in WWII in the school books?
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.28, 01:53 AM   #14
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

^ History is always subjective, and is continually reinterpreted. And Japan is not a culture that reflects on it's recent past as much as, for example, the US does. That's not a good thing or a bad thing, it just... is.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.28, 02:07 AM   #15
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
Japan is not a culture that reflects on it's recent past as much as, for example, the US does. That's not a good thing or a bad thing, it just... is.
When you've committed war crimes against your neighbors, I'd say it's a bad thing to try and forget all about it. I'm not saying I want Japan to live in shame - I'm just saying I want their ego averaged out at a healthy level from the complete set of legitimately positive and negative reasons. That's kind of how I feel about any country - including the United States. We've done some bad things. Germany has done some bad things. Japan is in more denial than both of us combined, and when their PMs or cabinet MPs are in denial, then I have to wonder about the future of their country and the world, just as I'm scared of any neocons over here with an "America can do no wrong" attitude when it comes to foreign policy.

So I don't really think it's something to be indifferent about. I think any great nation is capable of great evil, and if they (not specifically Japan - but any great nation) don't pull their head out of their ass, then someday it won't matter that we have the United Nations. Oh, whoops. That already happened...
Old 2009.04.28, 03:31 AM   #16
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Japan has been in breach of then UN for upwards of 9 years regarding adding some anti-racism clause or amendment to their Constitution. As far as that is concerned, since there is no legislation, anytime it comes up on a national level, the ruling always goes: there is no law to refer to, therefore we can't rule on it/it doesn't exist.

also, anyone remember why they censored Ringo for including Hitler's name in Izonshou?

Seriously, every country has their own issues but Japan has been dealing with some heavy issues of guilt towards the war while continuing to turn a blind eye on a lot of topics. I can say very positively that almost ALL of my Japanese friends are pissed about all of this. Even my host mother and host father were angry. "Japan" as seen by the politicians is completely different than that seen by the average housewife or college student.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.28, 09:35 AM   #17
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

This is going to be an interesting few decades for the Japanese. They are a geographically isolated nation with mountains of history, and racial relations evolve slowly in this environment.

I hope that the extremist rhetoric of the Uyoku dantai do not pollute the debate. "Skinheads" in many countries attract media attention because of the shock value, not because they affect change.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.04.28 at 09:38 AM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.28, 09:48 AM   #18
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Wouldn't this topic warrant a separate thread? It looks like quite a few people have some interesting things to say.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 01:28 PM   #19
Ryokurin

Ryokurin pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
EMI PR department doing some image "cleansing." Similar to how the government is skewing Japans role in WWII in the school books?

Probably not EMI but Space Shower, which has a habit of having anything pulled off of youtube that shows their logo. They are pretty much like Viacom in that they expect to get paid, even if it is potentially positive for them.

As far as personality, how she was 10 years ago is drastically different than today, which I'm sure is the same for most of us. Getting older, wiser and having a child does that to you. Most of the people who say shes kind of scary are commenting on the person she no longer is, or at least who she was trying to portray. Every step is another evolution and transition.
Ryokurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.07.01, 11:29 PM   #20
miffunevii

miffunevii has had more than 15 seconds of fame

The definition of Ringo chan for my is the ARTIST, is different from others not only by their music, also to take their musical race and to be respected by all the Japanese musical panorama, outside the musical scene gives the impression me that is a great mother and a good friend of its friendly, the only one but that I put to him it is that it does not dare to leave Japan
miffunevii is offline   Reply With Quote