Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.01.08, 05:14 PM   #121
zz_wa_zz

zz_wa_zz pleased at least somebody

I just recently discovered Shiina Ringo... My friend told me to watch Sakuran (still haven't watched it), so i searched and found the trailer in Youtube. After watching it, I just fall in love with the song, Gamble. Then i started to listen more and more of her songs. To be honest, i didn't like her voice at first, but after awhile i got use to it and love it <3<3.
zz_wa_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.17, 07:58 PM   #122
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer
Default Tsuki from dynamite out

was the first time i discovered shiina ringo about a month ago, i found her while looking for do as infinity live performances from a youtube member i subscribed to. after watching all this person's Do as infinity live concert performances, i decided to click on the Tsuki video and fell in love with her performance and with her ever since, i felt like i just cheated on Van Tomiko and left her for Shiina b/c she was better, i never thought i could have done this. I was pulled in and I have no idea what i was in for but i knew it was going to be good especially after reading her wiki about the angel wings surgery.
the next day through torrent i finished downloading the whole Dynamite Out Concert and have watched it every single day now. the other Concert DVDs I own are all the Mika Nakashima's and DOA's, and Dynamite I have to say is the best one.
I melt everytime she does the baby voice in the break down to Koko De Kiss.. i am a lover of the rolling R's even some people are annoyed by it.. the past month has just been consumed by Shiina trying to catch up with most of her materials and reading up some of the long discussion threads here. A lot of people say Gips is overrated and I almost felt the same as some of the people who said the song was trying too hard until I heard the bridge, now i think the song is magic and so sincere, one of my favorites Shiina songs now next to Yami Ni Afu,
about three days ago i received electric mole and that is quite a monster. but i still feel DO a little bit more. like eveyone else i skip Kao and If You Cant touch it tho.. i always do the Marounichi Sadistic sidestep dance thing shiina does on that part lol
the Ekimae performance was probably the best build up in music history, them piano bass cords felt like thunder when hzm slams on them, jeesus
and the guitar ride out at the end of Sounan put me in total exstacy.
i am now just starting to listen to her first three albums and some bside songs.. got through adult yesterday so i can follow the phase one vs phase two discussions and all the Uki hate lol... I usually like Jazzier songs better than rock but not in this case.. but i will reserve judgement until i catch Just Can't Help it..

SO Far my favorite Shiina Songs are

Gips
Yami Ni Furu
Sounan
Mesai
Kuki
Ishiki
Koko De Kisse Shite
Love is Blind
Mayonaka Wa Junk
Tsumi no Batsu
Suberidai
Ekimai
Tadashi Machi
keikoku
superstar DO version, dam the album version was weak on this
kokoro
Tsumiki Asobi, - anyone see the behind the scenes for this where she did the dance on the streets, i love it
Himitsu
Shuruba
Honnou
Yume no Ato DO version
Tsuki DO version
very dissapointed with the album version
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.18, 04:13 AM   #123
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

did you watch/listen to the DO version of Himitsu? As far as I know it wasn't included in any version of the DO DVD and it's really great... it's on youtube.

good story. welcome!

Originally Posted by zz_wa_zz View Post
I just recently discovered Shiina Ringo... My friend told me to watch Sakuran (still haven't watched it), so i searched and found the trailer in Youtube. After watching it, I just fall in love with the song, Gamble. Then i started to listen more and more of her songs. To be honest, i didn't like her voice at first, but after awhile i got use to it and love it <3<3.
haha that's exactly how I got a friend of mine to like her. Gamble really stands out in the trailer.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.18, 03:11 PM   #124
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

yea i saw the DO version of Himitsu, i like both versions, the drumming on the Adult version was really nice
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.19, 07:43 PM   #125
crimson_wings9999

crimson_wings9999 pleased at least somebody

A long time a ago when I was looking around wiki.the.ppn
I found Shiina Ringo's page linked to a Chara page,,
I didn't really get into her that much (that time I was into pop for reasons
I can't remember)
But after a few months I got into Jazz & Rock
and well after listening to Kuki
i've never been able to stop listening to her,,
crimson_wings9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.20, 03:15 AM   #126
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by crimson_wings9999 View Post
(that time I was into pop for reasons
I can't remember)
that made me lol
Chara always makes me think of Charo.
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.20, 03:29 PM   #127
truefish

truefish pleased at least somebody

Was in to Tomosaka Rie. noticed all the songs I liked from her were written by Shiina Ringo.
truefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.20, 04:32 PM   #128
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Le Salle de Bain on YouTube last summer was insta-love. I don't know how I found it, I was probably searching for videos of bathrooms or something. I burned tinny MP3s of that, Identity and Yattsuke Shigoto (vacuum cleaner version) onto my player and played on repeat everywhere I went for about a week. These were the first symptoms of an addiction to her songwriting where I find myself having to hear the first few bars of Meisai or the last few of Ishiki, or whatever I decide I need today before I can function. Maybe it will die down, but it made me find this forum where there are other sufferers/fans...

But I'm kicking myself for not getting into her sooner! In most parallel universes I would have done. I lived in Japan shortly after Shouso Strip came out and who knows there were probably big billboards of a strange girl with flowers around her that I probably thought "huh?" and tuned out. But how could a then 22 year old guy miss the Honnou video: look at the sexy nurse with the amazing music for goodness sake... Was I dead? After asking my ex to bring over SR albums from Japan she said, don't you remember me singing her songs at karaoke? Not exactly! I remember clapping along like a demented seal with something she sang in Shibuya once, the one song that has that effect on me by anybody is Marunouchi Sadistic, but I obviously didn't follow that up.

Anyway, so I like, and I've got a lot of catching up to do.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.21, 07:45 PM   #129
ecogazoo

ecogazoo is headed in the right direction

In spring 2007, I had just discovered France Gall. While fiddling around to find her vids on YouTube, the Shiina version of "Jazz a Go Go" was a Related Video. I watched it, was kinda "meh" about it, but interested in the noisy arrangement. YUKI was a Related Video to that one, so I discovered both artists at the same time. I downloaded a few of their tunes ("Shuukyo" and HF "Gamble" were the first of SR) and threw them into my monster random playlists. Prior to that day, my knowledge of J-pop was that I didn't like it. Still don't, except for those two artists & their colleagues. I also find PUFFY tolerable & pleasant enough not to dislike.

Occasionally I would add to my Shiina collection of files, look at the videos on YouTube for the novelty of the sights & sounds, and left it at that. At this point I couldn't tell a qualitative difference between "Shiina Ringo" and "Tokyo Jihen", they were equally exotic to me on the surface. Then one day in Nov 08 "Kuki" really grabbed my attention, and I've been totally nuts for Shiina ever since.

Up until then, I had only listened to SR on my PC. I burned "Shouso Strip" mp3s->CD and played it on the big stereo. Quickly became apparent I would need the retail product...building collection now...goodbye money!
ecogazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.28, 05:00 AM   #130
Controversy

Controversy has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I seldom post here, because lurking around seems to yield more interesting results than posting. But, I thought the stories posted are quite funny. Like the DDR one.

Anyway, I've seen this Tokyo Jihen advertisement in my communis- er, I mean on television and I was like "Wow, cool name." But, I was into pop-punk stuff so I didn't really care.

Fast forward to light-years later. Saw the PV of Osca on MTV. I was hoping to catch Laruku stuff there, but I was blown away by her voice. Okay, and a little disturbed by the flashing underwear thing in the PV.

So..

OSCA to TJ stuff. TJ stuff to KZK. Fell in love with her. Hmm. Story of my life. Now, I'm going around telling people that she's the only woman I want to screw and I'm straight.

It's still the music though.
Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote