Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2012.05.16, 08:57 AM   #121
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Get a load of this guy, he works with autistic kids.

EDIT: I don't think you come across as an ass. (I know I do, but that's besides the point) I think you make too broad of statements without a whole lot of understanding, which isn't to say no one else has been guilty of this during certain parts of our lives.

EDIT2: Please don't tell me that is your opinion. I can tell because you posted it. If you're parlaying someone else's opinion, then I might need to know.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.05.16 at 09:08 AM.
Old 2012.05.16, 09:37 AM   #122
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I don't really see how that is worthy of derision.

That's why I'm saying this is different. Yeah, I comment on things I don't have a lot of understanding. But in this case, I have a bit more understanding than I usually would, and especially for people who have never interacted with an autistic person before.

But I guess you get to decide whether somebody is an expert enough to comment on something. As you appear to be an expert on nearly everything, and I nothing.
Old 2012.05.16, 10:17 AM   #123
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

You could be surrounded by autistic children throughout a decade of your life, and still be extremely sheltered about the issue.

For you to receive any portrayals of autism as taboo, shows that you haven't fully come to terms with the politically-incorrect world you're living in. I could watch something over-the-top like Bruno and accept that it doesn't represent the gay community, but I can still at least sadistically appreciate the movie for preying on peoples' sensitivities (mainly homophobia). Apparently you can't accept autistic depictions unless they represent the autistic community. That's really all you need to admit to yourself or to the rest of us, for this side-discussion to be over.

I don't have a problem with media depictions of autistic people as superheroes and/or narrowminded (though I don't know if that's what this drama even attempted). Every diverse demographic (including the autistic spectrum) has its own real superheroes (and narrowminders), and entertainment-oriented media is a tough sell when there's nothing extraordinary or focused about the characters.
Old 2012.05.16, 11:40 AM   #124
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Wasn't this song supposed to be available on iTunes by now??

They've always been on time with their digital releases so far, even on iTunes EU. =\
Old 2012.05.16, 11:44 AM   #125
TurtleFu

I'm not exactly the best person to eloquently talk about this, and yeah, maybe I'm not as knowledgeable as I think I am. And there are tons of resources out there for people to search for if they want to know.

I don't think ANY portrayal is bad. "Bad publicity is better than no publicity"? I don't know. Maybe stereotypes are better than invisibility.

"Superhero": The issue is that he is portrayed as an excellent detective, and that is only because of his disability. So, it's not that he is a superhero who is autistic, it's that autism is his superpower. It's problematic, in ways I can't articulate well.

When you portray an ASD as a superpower in the media, it ends up stigmatizing ASD. As in, 1) Autistic people aren't stupid, look at how useful they are! or 2) Autism is a superpower! It's not something that requires lots of therapy and exercises to improve one's way of life! or etc...

It completely misrepresents what it is, and what it is like to live with it; and then all of that comes around and you have mothers on talk shows talking about "cures" for their Autistic child and how children with Autism don't have souls and all of that makes it even more difficult for treatment.

And I can personally say that I have met parents who were reluctant to find treatment because they were ashamed of their child.

But you're a really easygoing guy Glath, so I guess portrayals of people in media could never really get you upset.
Old 2012.05.16, 12:06 PM   #126
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

As someone who has a sister who is autistic, I agree with TurtleFu on this.

I'm also pretty confident that this music video has nothing to do with autism at all. The girl in the video clearly isn't trying to play an autistic character.
Old 2012.05.16, 04:01 PM   #127
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

It's only a stereotype when people make it a stereotype. How is autistic superhero a stereotype?

What is offensive, is that someone could take that much offense from a show that is obviously not offensive. It's like you just HAD to find something to be offensive in it so you could complain.
Old 2012.05.16, 04:01 PM   #128
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

If the goal were catch a criminal intellectually, I'd prefer to have at least one person with autism among the people working the case. The fact that their biases or sensibilities would be different, could be a huge advantage. The autistic sleuth just has to be high-functioning enough to realize that other humans don't always have the presence of mind to worry about the same kinds of clues the autistic person (as a hypothetical culprit) would consider hiding.

To say that autism shouldn't give a detective any advantage at all (when neurotypicals have so many blind spots of their own), would really be underselling it.

I doubt any one autistic character could satisfy everyone who cares, so I try not to be miffed about whichever examples surface within popular fiction.
Old 2012.05.16, 04:52 PM   #129
TurtleFu

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
What is offensive, is that someone could take that much offense from a show that is obviously not offensive. It's like you just HAD to find something to be offensive in it so you could complain.
Yeah... no
I admit I am more sensitive to many issues that most people are all too happy to ignore (namely, the rights of the disabled, women's rights, gay rights, etc.), but that hardly makes me some kind of vampire who subsists on outrage.
I'm perfectly capable of talking about things I like, as I am about things I dislike.

@Glath
And I'm sure somewhere out there, there is a detective who is diagnosed with an ASD.
Okay, let me try to explain it this way. Are you familiar with the TV Show "Monk"? It's about a detective who has OCD, which is part of the reason who is so good at looking at fine details for clues. On the surface, this seems like something I would complain about, right?
But, in reality, the show went to lengths to establish that Monk was more than just OCD, he was an actual person. Sure, some of the jokes were at his expense, but many were at other peoples expense, reacting to his behavior. His character had nuance, and was not just a pairing of two traits ("OCD" and "Detective")

And what about the new Sherlock Holmes? Holmes in that series certainly has many traits in common with someone diagnosed with an ASD. But, again, Holmes has actual characterization aside from his "disorder".

Ataru, on the other hand, has no nuance when it comes to the autistic detective, and this is jarring when the other "normal" characters all have some more characterization than basic archetypes. Why is the autistic character treated with least amount of characterization, as if autistic people are non-complex and don't require nuance, as if they are aliens or outsiders? These are issues I have to deal with everyday, so don't treat me like some fanatic. I am not being unreasonable.
Old 2012.05.16, 06:53 PM   #130
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

YUKI did a song called Cosmic Box for a show about people with asperger's

that's all I got.

Closed Thread