Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2015.01.02, 09:24 AM   #181
anonlurker

Uki was there. Playing the electroacoustic harpsichord in the intro. He was in the back for the rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lol.jpg (230.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by anonlurker : 2015.01.02 at 06:20 PM. Reason: lulz
Old 2015.01.02, 10:05 AM   #182
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Don't know (from the picture) if that's Ukigumo, but the instrument is a trombone. Trumpets (as seen in PE'Z or SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS) are much smaller and have 3 valves, each of which are either pressed or released, for 2^3 possible combinations. The only thing trumpets and trombones have in common is they're both 'brass', a category of instrument which employs the kind of mouthpiece you push against your lips instead of putting it in your mouth. You can get your lips into slightly different shapes to end up in different note-ranges, but once you're in a given range, it's up to the hand/finger mechanics of your particular brass instrument to determine which notes you'll hit within that range.

The texture/tone/etc. between different brass instruments is similar, but a trained ear can tell them apart. I knew right away there was a trombone at the start of Sekidou o Koetara when I first listened (despite the horrible mastering), but having been in a band class at age 11-14 probably helped.

You need to have a good ear to play the trombone, just as you would with the violin, since there is no 'grid' of frets/keys/valves. There's nothing on a trombone for fingers to individually contribute toward executing precise notes. You just have your ear, your arm, and maybe some muscle memory.

The horn held by the guy (whose head you can't see any of) on the far-left, near the top; is a trumpet.
Old 2015.01.02, 11:08 AM   #183
anonlurker

My (lack of) knowledge of the brass well and truly shown up for what it is.
Old 2015.01.02, 11:27 AM   #184
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Well, think of it this way.

Ima, like Shun, seems to have attempted to serve as the anchor point in the center of the album (hell, they both even have 1 character track names). They both are gentle jazzy songs that are quite beautiful. However, Ima comes up short because it's ruined by it's ridiculous production- it never hits quite the same as Shun. The album never really stops for it. The live version from Toutakai has so much promise too. Oh well.

JL005 has those big romantic strings and similar song structure to me, minus the payoff in the form of that gorgeous piano solo. I mention Reimport because it has that electronic beat at the start, much like Seishun no Matataki- another song I've always compared to Shun, though that one is more blatantly obvious :-p
I think your reasoning is pretty superficial as well. You can simplify many songs like that to say they are like others. That doesn't address real similarities like melody, rhythm, timing, etc. For example, using the methodology from your post, we could take away from Ariamaru Tomi because it's just a solo version of Rakujitsu. Or that Keshou Naoshi is the same thing as Aozora because they're both slow bossa nova songs. It doesn't quite work because the substance below the surface is quite different.

Ima and JL005 are both songs that sound like they were written by SS Ringo, but performed by HF Ringo. There's quite a bit of grit in the second half of Ima that completely separates it from the SG/Shun sound/atmosphere, but makes it sound right at home with something like Sakuran or Karisome Otome. It actually feels more like a big band version of Nippon ni Umarete to me with the way the tempo/rhythm changes throughout the song. I think it's quite well done, but Ringo's voice doesn't quite hold up here or some other Sunny tracks.

I'm not sure why the electronics say "Reimport" rather than SS to you. Well, I guess you have compared Reimport and SS before so maybe you hear both in it. That beat reminds me very much of the end of Gips or even the one used throughout Hatsukoi Shoujo. The thing most similar to Reimport is the horrendous mastering.

Ah well. To each their own. This is probably the most thought anybody's made me put into Sunny though. You're picking on two of the strongest tracks on the record, but I feel similar disappointment about some of the other new tracks.

tl;dr: Ima is more like an HF song than Shun or an SG song.
Old 2015.01.02, 04:48 PM   #185
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Uki probably isn't even playing it anyway
Old 2015.01.02, 06:18 PM   #186
anonlurker

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Uki probably isn't even playing it anyway
Just came along for the after show buffet.
Old 2015.01.02, 07:24 PM   #187
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Man, some of you guys have eagle eyes to notice that trombone dude may or may not be Uki. Staring at that picture, I can't tell. No way I'd ever notice during the whole 5-10 (if that) he was on screen.
Old 2015.01.02, 08:06 PM   #188
anonlurker

His face is fairly distinct so I can always spot him a mile off. The same with Junji when he's with aiko. If you pay attention you can see Uki pretending his mic stand is a guitar.
Old 2015.01.03, 07:48 AM   #189
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

^^ 100% Uki
http://vine.co/v/OwIwOviY1He

And for no particular reason:
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.03, 08:14 AM   #190
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Uki really blows.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote