Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.04.02, 04:26 PM   #41
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

(Sorry kuro, I edited my post about three times, but still really said the same thing).

Anyway, that's kind of it! TJ sounds harmonically more "anata magic" to me than Shiina's solo work. The guitar licks and especially the outro at the end. Interesting noises the lead guitar makes around 2:45 as you say.

He really dances in this vid... (SOS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykpvdEB2oIo
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.02, 04:39 PM   #42
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

atama no naka no sos, yeah, the monobright youtube hits drive me nuts. there is an absolute FLOODING of stupid fanvideos of people who have little band member paper printout hoods and stuff, its impossible to filter through to find actual PV's and live shows.

it always gets taken down but WARP is where his dancing is awesome. It isn't as in your face as in SOS but his knee jerking is so old school rock, its badass. have you seen their new look? just go to www.monobright.net and watch the preview video for 踊る脳 odoru nou in their discography section for the new album. its ridiculous, the video is just them and all these caterpillars wriggling around that dance just like him and they all shoot their strings and it just looks very very wrong....like monobright gone bukkake
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.02, 04:54 PM   #43
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Ha! Found it, or the first 44 seconds anyway... Presumably those interesting looking caterpillars metamorphose later in the video?

It's late in London, even for bukkake. Will HTH
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.02, 05:00 PM   #44
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

yeah its just the preview. I'm assuming they all transform yes. Seriously though, how did the people who created that video fail to notice that it just looks like massive amounts of cum shots? seriously....and then there is momoya, shaking his hips and dancing like a maniac amongst it all, dodging each squirt with amazing dexterity....

wow this got off topic.

edit: btw, randomally, monobright went to england and played all over about a year or so ago. they have a long documentary that was filmed about it and uploaded to youtube in several parts and there is a lot of footage of their gigs from all over England, some of it was on a bonus dvd of the first press of the namida iro no frustration single. it is funny because at most of the shows there is a total of maybe 10 people, just drinking beer casually and kind of watching in amusement and some shock as momoya jumps around acting like he is on drugs. it is pretty amazing. I think they really model themselves after brit rock.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.02, 06:45 PM   #45
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I got into Shiina Ringo first. I YouTube'd her name one day when I was bored and the first impression I ever got of her was the Honnou video. Liked it enough to check out some more and soon discovered Kabukichou no Joou, her cover of Yer Blues, Keikoku, Koko de Kiss Shite (hated it at the time), and eventually Tsumi to Batsu. Fell in love with her, of course. But I also discovered Tokyo Jihen around this time and it was (gasp!) the Variety era that I enjoyed at the beginning. You heard it here first, guys. Heard Killer Tune and absolutely adored it. I still do. I liked Kaban no Nakami and really liked OSCA. Still love 'em. Then I heard BB Queen. It was the first Ringo song I ever heard that I absolutely could not stand. To this day, I think it is the worst song she has ever been associated with in her entire career. I then stopped listening to them for a while.

To be honest, EMF is really what made me want to explore TJ's entire discography. Ringo's solo catalog was enough to satisfy me for a good while. I was blissfully ignorant to Tokyo Jihen songs other than the previous 3 I mentioned that I liked. Tokyo Jihad and justriiingo were really the two key posters that made me want to listen because they were constantly complaining about how shitty Phase 2 is. It made me curious enough to check it out for myself. So after many song listens, concert viewings, and readings of posts on this forum, I eventually decided that I agreed with them that Phase 1 > Phase 2 (but not by as large a margin as they claim). I have to say as a whole, I am pretty tolerant of Phase 2. They don't offend me or make me think that Ringo's music has gone down the toilet but I also feel like they don't make her do anything interesting either. I wouldn't be upset if she called it quits with the band. I like her solo stuff better by a pretty wide margin (especially KSK). Kyoiku comes close to her solo material for me but I still find it less to my tastes. Dynamite Out is the best thing the band has ever done, in my opinion, but I feel like it's impossible to recapture that again with the current lineup. So as of now, I have to say I am right in the middle as far as TJ goes.
Old 2009.04.03, 09:38 PM   #46
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I was searching for talented Japanese female singer/songwriters, and found a couple of sites that recommended Ringo and Cocco. I blindly bought a few of their CDs, and really liked Ringo's music. I then bought Adult when it was released, and was disappointed. I think the TJ albums are far less interesting than SS and KSK, but although I don't enthusiastically like them, I don't viscerally dislike them either. When an artist who I like releases material that doesn't particularly appeal to me, it never elicits any emotional response. I just file the album away and patiently wait to see what their next batch of songs sounds like. Just about every musician/group that I really like and that have had reasonably long careers has occasionally created music that I didn't connect with. Whatever. I really liked HF, and look forward to what the next 5-10 years will bring.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote