Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Your track of choice on Color Bars
今夜はから騒ぎ (Konya wa Karasawagi) 16 43.24%
怪ホラーダスト (Kai-horrordust) 0 0%
タイムカプセル (Time Capsule) 1 2.70%
sa_i_ta 15 40.54%
ほんとのところ (Honto no Tokoro) 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012.02.22, 03:56 PM   #31
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Maybe the hawk eating the housecat was a metaphor about Jihen eating Ringo. Now she cut her way out of the hawks stomach, we shold get electric. I am not thinking while typing this obviously.
Old 2012.02.22, 04:15 PM   #32
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

^ Perhaps, DG. Ringo does associate herself with cats fairly often.
Old 2012.02.22, 04:50 PM   #33
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I could have written the words to Honto no tokoro when I was 14.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.22, 04:55 PM   #34
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Well, I could write the lyrics of I Wanna Hold Your Hand by the Beatles at 10, doesn't make it a bad or shallow song. Shallow to me is stuff like Ke$ha.
Old 2012.02.22, 05:03 PM   #35
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

((I like Kesha))

but only for feminist reasons!
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.22, 05:44 PM   #36
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

A child could write the lyrics of mikan no kawa. It is whether you understood the metaphor or not.

What I am trying to say is that don't judge the lyrics completely.

If you told someone english illeterate, "A piece of cake!". He might think that you are extremely lusty for a piece of cake. However as we all know, that is quite the opposite.

Sure it might seem simple, maybe it's deeply complex. It looks extremely complex, but it might be gibberish. (It's almost like shakespeare-esque writing, thou/art/deth/hath - It's the same meaning in english, nothing more, nothing less)

One who would know is: Hata!

Let's go bug him!
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.22, 06:10 PM   #37
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

In relation to Honto no Tokoro lyrics:

--Where did the lyrics come from?
Hata: Cool. I've never been asked that before (laughter).
Everyone
: (Laughter)
Hata
: I really found a dead crow and raccoon dog near my house.
--You live in Tokyo, right?
Hata: Yeah, but there are raccoon dogs. Around where I live. There are also toddy cats and martens. I saw the dead crow and felt sorry for it, so I thought I'd bury it in my friend's field. But then a bunch of crows came clamoring. They didn't attack me, but I thought they seemed sad in some way. That night I found a raccoon dog dead in front of my house. It was still warm.
--So, the crow and raccoon dog line is a true story.
Hata: Same with the cat being eaten by a hawk. A guy at an onsen I stayed at in Yamanashi told me about it. Basically, the lyrics are about deaths that have occurred near me.
--Everything that lives in the universe, actually, does not really want to die--the lyrics are your view of life and death in a way.
Hata: Yes. But at the same time I think my own fascination with death is in there as well.

BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.22, 07:02 PM   #38
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

(BlueApples post beat me to the punch, but lets elaborate)
I'm sure we all realize words can be metaphors. But they don't always have to be. (I don't mean to hold Honto no Tokoro up to this candle, but for the sake of internet arguing) Lets look at The Beatles. They rarely (read: almost never) ever wrote metaphorically. "You Won't see me" was about a breakup, Norwegian Wood was about an affair, Yellow Submarine was about a yellow submarine. And when The Beatles didn't write literally, the song was generally very abstract (read: about essentially nothing.) Strawberry Fields, I am the Walrus.
So lets take the extreme of this literal writing, the Abbey Road centerpiece "I Want You (She's so Heavy)" The lyrics are extremely simple, "I want you so bad it's driving me mad. She's so heavy." That's all she wrote! Any one could have written that right? Even the single rhyme in there is pretty training-wheels-ey. But what you say? There's more to the lyrics than what they literally are?

Exactly.

That's the power of repetition. The pounding and re-pounding of the words, the delivery. Now, it is more obvious why John Lennon would be saying "I want you so bad" over and over again, but if a guy is repeating how a cat was eaten by a hawk, over and over, you should be asking yourself why? Why would someone do that. BlueApple jumped to the conclusion before I got to here, but only after learning what the song was about did it make even more sense. It's like when you see something disturbing on the internet, but you can't help but replay it in your mind. Your inside someone else's head, and seeing their inner replay, with the cacophony bouncing around the inside of his maddening skull.

And even without that, its still just a cool sounding song! It adds some texture, some variety, something really new to the Tokyo Jihen plate which has always so readily been stocked with the safest same-old-same-old. Yeah its about something gross, and sounds a little gross. It's not something that will play on the radio or accompany a make up ad campaign, or reach the widest of audiences. But that shouldn't be the goal of every song. Honto no Tokoro is something really rough, and thought out, and abrasive and almost throws no regard to anything else in the Jihen catalog.

Yes, he repeats on about a couple of disturbing scenes. Anyone could do that. But not everyone does. To me, to write that off is just baffling. If you're going to play that game, then almost everything is meaningless and shallow. John Lennon was just lusting after a girl. Arcade Fire was just singing about being a kid. The Sex Pistols were just singing about being pissed off. Without regarding intent or the very personal deliveries. But not everyone can be so deep as to express having a crush on someone or having fun at the club.

I will end this with a youtube of what I think is one of the dumbest, shallowest songs I've heard: (spoilers: its not Kesha)
Old 2012.02.22, 07:15 PM   #39
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

^ Very true. I am glad I learnt something.

Not so sure about the video though...

Last edited by W3iHong : 2012.02.22 at 07:24 PM.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.22, 07:28 PM   #40
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Me not liking it has nothing to do with me being disgusted with the type of imagery. I'm not turned off with it being about "gross" stuff.

So what separates Hata's song from any other goth-punk-song about death with a repetitive chorus?

It seems to me the reason you like it so much is because it's so different than anything Jihen has done before. Making it an anti-Jihen song. But, to me, it seems silly just to like something because it's contrary.

You say "not everyone does". Uh yeah, a lot of (bad) songwriters have one line repeated over and over again for the chorus. And a lot of goth-punk wannabes write about death as if they are creating GREAT ART with GREAT INSIGHT.

I just feel like with the type of criticism you've thrown at Jihen, the fact that your favorite is the most simplistic, most repetitive song on the EP is confusing for me.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.02.22 at 07:32 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote