Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.09.28, 03:54 AM   #171
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

SS/AW is cool, but boutomin not^^

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.28, 04:21 AM   #172
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I feel like the only person on earth who actually likes those two songs (boutomin and ss/aw)
I like both of these songs a lot. Uki can't sing skill-wise, but he can definitely sing enough to be entertaining.

EDIT: What is the official title of the song, SSAW or SS/AW. It says SSAW on the back of the album but it says SS/AW in they lyrics on the booklet. I'm confused @_@

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.28 at 04:26 AM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.28, 11:21 AM   #173
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

I was browsing Kameda's website, and it has a section of the things he loves ( http://www.ganso-makotoya.com/profile/ ) - so I copied the text and put it into Google translate. The "good" parts are in bold.

--------------------------------------
KAMEDA Loves...

The tower of the blue sky/the sun/Guinness raw /i-tunes you play and/the buckwheat noodle/the shear pen of procrastination /0.9 early morning 3 of the line rising/the clear mint gum/the fried egg turn over/seven star/the evening sun /EGOISTE PLATINUM/morning bath of thbousand village mountains/the Osamu Dazai/acupuncture and moxibustion integral body/the bean milk/memory /LAPHROAIG 15 year /The BEATLES/Mt. Fuji of the mother/per [goyachiya] tower v [ru]/the outer garden/the angel cream/red pepper power/the cinema during morning/customization of carrying/are/the stripe of Akatsuka Fujio /Paul Smith/the pizza of human relations/[motsutsuarerachizu] which have the smell of the child/speed impression/Tama/PIXER/ timing of the river edge it is good, “is the change of the coffee how?”/The fragrance of the lavender/the edge it is not the glasses/fragrance, it forces, N.Y of sound/morning Calais/the depth of winter. L.A of midsummer. /The eraser/iron arm atom which goes out well/smell of the lawn of the oxygen water/the Tabasco/double squeeze /YEBISU/ national hippodrome/the dimple/hardness is controlled softly well,/the fragrance /MacBook Pro/corona extra of the [yu] [zu]/the reed blotch/the tooth it polishes,/[tomu] [yankun]/earl Gray (the milk)/with utmost effort the person

Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.28, 11:36 AM   #174
Akagaminosteven

Akagaminosteven is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Op2 View Post
I was browsing Kameda's website, and it has a section of the things he loves ( http://www.ganso-makotoya.com/profile/ ) - so I copied the text and put it into Google translate. The "good" parts are in bold.

--------------------------------------
KAMEDA Loves...

The tower of the blue sky/the sun/Guinness raw /i-tunes you play and/the buckwheat noodle/the shear pen of procrastination /0.9 early morning 3 of the line rising/the clear mint gum/the fried egg turn over/seven star/the evening sun /EGOISTE PLATINUM/morning bath of thbousand village mountains/the Osamu Dazai/acupuncture and moxibustion integral body/the bean milk/memory /LAPHROAIG 15 year /The BEATLES/Mt. Fuji of the mother/per [goyachiya] tower v [ru]/the outer garden/the angel cream/red pepper power/the cinema during morning/customization of carrying/are/the stripe of Akatsuka Fujio /Paul Smith/the pizza of human relations/[motsutsuarerachizu] which have the smell of the child/speed impression/Tama/PIXER/ timing of the river edge it is good, “is the change of the coffee how?”/The fragrance of the lavender/the edge it is not the glasses/fragrance, it forces, N.Y of sound/morning Calais/the depth of winter. L.A of midsummer. /The eraser/iron arm atom which goes out well/smell of the lawn of the oxygen water/the Tabasco/double squeeze /YEBISU/ national hippodrome/the dimple/hardness is controlled softly well,/the fragrance /MacBook Pro/corona extra of the [yu] [zu]/the reed blotch/the tooth it polishes,/[tomu] [yankun]/earl Gray (the milk)/with utmost effort the person

I've actually been stalking Kameda's website for the past few days, that section included. The google translation is obviously...off, in more than one part, but when I was originally reading it, I spit out my tea when I came across "the smell of children."

But he has good taste in whiskey and beer. I love this guy.
Akagaminosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.28, 11:41 AM   #175
madpawn

madpawn pleased at least somebody

...oh dear.

boutomin has become my most played song off of variety besides osca, according to i tunes.

I think it's my third favourite.

(katamari damacy for the win!)
madpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.28, 01:29 PM   #176
HEDOfloe

Hedofloe's Variety review!!

Here is the rating system:
1 Star (skip it)
2 Stars (It's O.K.)
3 Stars (Like It: "I like!")
4 Stars (I really like it)
5 Stars (I love it: "Great Success!")

1.Ramp
4 Stars
I think this is a good song to start the album with. It's very happy sounding and gets you ready for Variety hour . I really like Ringo's singing here. I thought this song was pretty catchy from the first listen, it's really easy to follow.

2. Mirrorball
3 Stars
While I like this song, I was very disappointed. I like the JCHI version a lot more. I really like the sounds and the idea they were going for with this version, but I felt that the music was too erratic and messy. It seemed to go apart from Ringo's voice most of the time. I think it would have been better if they did not filter her voice since that way it would not blend with the music so much. Or at least just filter it less, and spread it out throughout the song.

3. Kingyo no Hako
4 Stars
I really like this song! The organ is really cool, and the flow of the song in general is nice. I like how it picks up and slows down and the chorus is pretty good also but I felt its mostly a fast paced song. If they had paced it a bit better I think I would have loved it. The "mcr" Uki solo is awesome! The only thing I did not like about it is that there was not really anything to lead it off with. Usually, my favorite guitar solos have something happening before it that throws you into it and makes it awesome (Ringo usually says Guiitar and the band revs up before the solo) but here it seems to just happen. I did like the ending a lot too, that beeping sound and Hata's slow drums were cool.

4.Shiseikatsu
3 Stars
I thought this song was pretty weak. Usually their ballads are more powerful, even Tasogare Naki, which is a very chillout sound, had some more emotional playing during the instrumental part all the way to the end. This one is a nice ballad, but doesn't do much more than just be nice.

5.OSCA
5 Stars
I LOVE this song!!!

6.Kronekodow
4 Stars
I really like this song. The pacing is very refreshing, and Izawa's piano is amazing. I love how Ringo sings, how she picks up the pace and sings as if going faster and faster until she lets out those little screams in between. I did not like that little bit of noise around :54 too much because, although it is cool to have a break like that in the song, I feel they could have definitely made it more melodic and enjoying. I love how it picks up pace even more at the end and then there is that crazy awesome piano followed by a complete change in song like Kesho Naoshi. I think the whistling in the last part sounds a lot like the ending of Kurumaya San in DO.

7. Fukushuu
4 Stars
The show-stopper! This was so shocking the first time I heard it, I think it was very cool and emphasizes the theme with having it go after a song like Kronekodow. I really like the vocals here, they sound very aggressive even during the slower part. Ringo's going to get you from behind!!

8.Boutomin
5 Stars
This song is so coool!! I really like how they have Uki sound like he is yelling from the background. Izawa sounds a lot older than he looks @_@. He reminds me of a bossa nova singer, I think Jun Miyake (or someone he had sing in his album Innocent Bossa in the Mirror) sounds a lot like Uki here. The trio singing is very cool. I like Uki's singing and Hata's drums around 1:46 to 1:50, sounds like they are inducing a seizure ^__^. I also like when Ringo whispers behind the guy's parts, very sexy . The Kabuki allusion is also very cool, it was a nice surprise when I first heard it. I think the drum in the end seems to be cut off too soon. I don't think it ends abruptly in the way they play it, but it just sounds like they cut the sound altogether a bit too soon.

9. SS/AW
4 Stars
I really like how this song goes. The mood is bitter-sweet, sometimes its just happy but other times it feels like a sort of longing song. The chorus is the best part here.

10. Tsukigime Hime
4 Stars
The intro to this song is very cool, I like the buildup. The chorus is catchy and all, but I think it holds the song back because it doesn't pump up enough. You'd think with the buildup they do in the slower parts that the chorus would be more explosive. It is cool to hear their traditional clapping again .

11. Sake to Geko
4 Stars
This song starts off very agressive, I like! I think Ringo's vocals are great here, very emotional, and then followed by the awesome piano again. The piano part, though, sounds very similar to Kao. Did anyone else notice this? I think it was intentional like the kabuki thing. I can almost hear Ringo and Hirama singing everytime it goes. About the ending, I don't think they should have done that break so early, I fsounded like they started the song over without a change of pace or anything. It probably would have been better if they had shortened that break.

12.Killer Tune
5 Stars
This song is LOVE.

13. Metro
5 Stars
Another one of those really cool songs. It has a very nice ambiance. Ringo's vocals are again, very enjoying. The first time I heard it, I was a little put off that the album would end with a slower paced song like this since I relly like more powerful endings (a la Tegami and Yume no Ato). But, I soon got over this because it is such an awesome song. Do doo doot doo dooot .

All in all, this album is a great experience. I have been hearing it non-stop since I got it and I have enjoyed it through and through. I think that most of the songs would have benefit with better choruses, although I liked these, I think the music should have pumped up a bit more during them to enhance the experience. I loved the ups and downs and transitions between the songs and really enjoyed this. My only disappointment is that OSCA and Killer Tune are, in my opinion, the best songs on the album and I have already heard them so many times. I still love them the same, but I'm so familiar with them that I would have liked there to be more songs that I loved on here and not just really liked.

As for variety, the only thing that's similar throughout the album is that each song is played with instruments . I agree that there is not much more variety than can be found on their past albums, but to say that it does not deserve the title is wrong.

So, I give this album 4 stars out of 5. Great music

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.28 at 01:51 PM.
Old 2007.09.28, 01:31 PM   #177
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Hey guys, I wonder why Hedo hasnt been posting ad nauseum how much he likes Variety...
Old 2007.09.28, 01:33 PM   #178
HEDOfloe

Surely, you saw my review before you posted that?
Old 2007.09.28, 01:39 PM   #179
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Surely you need to research sarcasm
Old 2007.09.28, 01:41 PM   #180
HEDOfloe

I thought it was sarcasm so I looked at my review again and I said many good things about it so I thought you couldn't possible have been sarcastic since it doesn't make sense. But, since you are wondering, I have not been saying much about the album because I was saving it for my review .