Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2008.04.06, 03:16 PM   #1
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer
Default Pitch Adjustment (for music listening)

Has anyone else here ever messed with the pitch/scale of the music they listen to? I started doing that recently, and the results are very refreshing. I wouldn't use a sound editing tool because that would involve saving out new/separate copies of music in different pitches, and that's a very wasteful commitment of hard drive space that even I, Mr. Lossless, will not engage in.

foobar2000 (or at least the old version that I like to stick with) has an on-the-fly pitch adjustment that I can do during playback, so you never have to keep separate copies of your music. I don't adjust the scale by more than one note, up or down, because anything beyond that tends to... distort the music in nasty ways, unless you're changing the speed too, and then that just gets weird.

The thing I'm enjoying about pitch adjustment is it allows me to revisit songs I've overplayed, and in a fresh light. Even for the songs I haven't overplayed, pitch adjustment still at least... broadens my perspective on what I think about a song. For some songs it doesn't make any emotional difference, and for others, the difference is huge. For a very small handful of songs, you conclude from experimentation that the artist picked the absolute most appropriate scale they ever could have, and now you've got even more reason to admire that artist. For another minority of songs, every scale sounds great.

I just went through and listened to all of KSK, one note lower, and it was great. I found myself rethinking what I thought about a few of the songs, and acquiring newfound appreciation for the album. A lot of Dynamite Out! was great too. I could even watch the concert with the pitch adjustment, by just having foobar2000 starting the playback at the same split second as VLC, and since my rips don't exclude anything - the synchronization never strays between the simultaneous playbacks.

If anyone else has not already tried pitch adjustment with their listening, then I implore you to. But keep it minimal, or else the tone of the vocals or the instruments, starts to become uncomfortably alien.
Old 2008.04.06, 03:22 PM   #2
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I've never actually set out to do such a thing to listen to a song like that, but I have done it to a few songs in Sony Acid Pro when messing around and liking the results. I might try it with KSK, it seems like a pretty good album to do it too. Didn't somebody do this to a Shiina song on YouTube? I can't remember which song, I just remember somebody slowing down a fast paced track, though I think they might have kept the pitch the same.
Old 2008.04.14, 09:57 PM   #3
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I only tried this:

Kylie is Rick Astley

But that pitching on the fly sounds cool, I'll try that.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.26, 02:47 AM   #4
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I kept quiet on this one until I'd been around here a bit. Many songwriters choose the key of their music for a good reason, and might be a tad dismayed if people were altering it. People are taught in music theory classes that each key evokes a particular emotion. You can learn more here.
Totally not scolding you or anything, just thought you might like to know.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.29, 08:40 AM   #5
golem09

That's what this is about, experimenting on what happens when you alter that.
And the keys are not altered through pitching. single notes yes, but what they form in accords is not altered by pitching so the emotion stays the same.

MyAnimelist
Old 2008.05.29, 12:42 PM   #6
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

The frequencies are different. The musical intervals remain the same. How does this alter things? I cannot fathom an educated guess. Do I even remotely care? Not really. Do whatever pleases you. I had hoped that the gentle tone of my post conveyed that the last thing I wished to do was pass judgment on anybody.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.05.31, 09:24 AM   #7
golem09

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
The frequencies are different. The musical intervals remain the same. How does this alter things? I cannot fathom an educated guess. Do I even remotely care? Not really. Do whatever pleases you. I had hoped that the gentle tone of my post conveyed that the last thing I wished to do was pass judgment on anybody.

And I didn't mean to be offensive at all

MyAnimelist