Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.10.04, 08:49 AM   #51
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Okay, guys, tone down the rhetoric.

I find Glath's project fascinating. We do seem to prefer to look at SR's music as a series of singular works and judge them accordingly.....in which case KSK always comes out on top, due to the lack of spinoffs, retreads, and other sorts of cash-ins.

This is why it's difficult to be a fan. We want it all, but these artists are only human----they can only come up with original material at a normal human pace. So while we're waiting for the next piece of "originality," we get spinoff products......that end up disappointing us and diluting the impact of what comes after, no matter how original or interesting.

A good question might be, would we rather get fewer, but more "original" works from SR/TJ, or a greater number of works that inevitably contains variations of previous work.

Quantity or Quality???
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.04, 08:55 AM   #52
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

the answer is always quality.
Old 2007.10.04, 03:08 PM   #53
Nimh
Administrator

What will close this thread: any more personal attacks, and any more offensive language or arguments over offesnive language.
Old 2007.10.04, 03:22 PM   #54
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
What will close this thread: any more personal attacks, and any more offensive language or arguments over offesnive language.
Aka what is in 90% of the topics in "Main Forum" XDDD
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.04, 09:59 PM   #55
Nimh
Administrator

Thread re-opened after deletion of 6 posts that derailed a good discussion.

Carry on.....
Old 2007.10.04, 11:00 PM   #56
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
Quantity or Quality???
Obviously quality. And with SR's finances, she can definitely afford to take some time off. Not so sure if Uki's finances can support his time off tho. TJ's been churning out an album every year and the output just seems to get more disappointing each time (at least for me). I don't really mind waiting 3 more years if that means higher quality output from the band.

I'm just wondering if the decision to release an album per year is the band's or the record company's. TJ makes a hell lot of money for EMI and I wouldn't be surprised if they were "forced" to maintain a certain level of output per year to keep EMI's finances in the black. Or maybe I'm just overestimating them.
Old 2007.10.05, 12:25 AM   #57
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

A new album per year deal may be what gives TJ/SR the artistic freedom to do what they want, without EMI putting them on a tight leash; having albums that vary so much from one another surly makes The Man at EMI nervous. It MAY explain why SR HAVE to release HF too
Old 2007.10.05, 01:46 PM   #58
Nimh
Administrator

Yeah, and you have to wonder, if they were given 3 years to work on an album, the pressure might be even greater to deliver something commercial, to make up for the years of lost profits.
Old 2007.10.05, 01:51 PM   #59
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

But at the same time, that time gives them a bit of a longer incubation period. Recharge the batteries, really craft a sound.
I would much rather every other year an opposed to every year since it seems to me like the grind is wearing, mainly Shiina, out.

But hey, maybe album 4 next year will be an actual group effort and in theory more focused.
Old 2010.02.01, 12:16 AM   #60
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I just wanted to resurrect this thread for Sanmon Gossip, to point out that it's the most "real" album from a PV vantage point.

Sanmon Gossip:
Album Exclusives PVs: 4 (Ryuukou, Tsugou no Ii Karada, Shun, Irokoizata)
Single Exclusives PVs: 0
PV Versions Mutual to Single & Album: 0
B-Sides: 0

While it's true that Sanmon Gossip has two compositions we've heard before, the PVs we got were never based off either of those two tracks. My system isn't about whether an album is 'original' or not - my system is about whether or not an album is being promoted as if it were a real album. I also can't subtract any points from Sanmon Gossip just because Ariamaru Tomi wasn't on the album but got a PV anyway - that would be like penalizing KZK just because Mayonaka wa Junketsu got a PV. Standalone A-sides have no influence on album scores.

Based on my old formula, Sanmon Gossip is a 20-point album - vastly exceeding the promotional uniqueness of any album which came before it.

We'll just have to wait and see how Sports turns out.