Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.10.01, 09:58 AM   #101
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by MBF View Post
I've watched my BR now till after they played Superstar and so far the only thing I'm a little disappointed about, is the fact that they didn't provide Dolby Digital or DTS
How is this a problem?

I wouldn't want EMI Japan to include Dolby or DTS, if any of those were to replace the Linear PCM. The audio formats could coexist, but traditionally they don't. 4 times out of 5 if a concert video includes Dolby, you get no PCM - especially if it's a western release.

I like that DTS can provide a much more atmospheric listening experience off of 1536kbps than PCM can, but any MP3s you try to make off of it will be fatiguing due to being double-generation lossy.

And then there's Dolby. Most of the Dolby you can find on Blu-Ray isn't much better than the Dolby you can find on DVD, and DVD Dolby is crap compared to PCM. It should also be noted that any MP3s you try to create off of most Dolby will be even worse than MP3s from DTS.

The real problem here, isn't that EMI Japan provided any PCM at all - the problem is, there are optionally better kinds of PCM in Blu-Ray which meet or exceed what you want out of Dolby or DTS, but EMI Japan gave us DVD-quality PCM instead of Blu-Ray quality PCM. That's the problem.
Old 2010.10.01, 01:41 PM   #102
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by MBF View Post
Oh and does anyone know where the BGM played during the credits is taken from?? It definitely does ring a bell, but I just can't name it...
It's Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue"! You probably heard it before in Disney's "Fantasia 2000", if you've seen the movie, of course, haha.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.02, 10:25 AM   #103
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
It's Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue"! You probably heard it before in Disney's "Fantasia 2000", if you've seen the movie, of course, haha.
Ahh... thank you so much!! That's definitely it! =)

@Glath I don't really care that much about Audio Rips... I'd rather take the atmospheric surround experience. I really enjoyed DTS on Gekokujyo Exstasy and it pretty much left me hoping, EMI would provide this on another SR-related concert DVD sometime.
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.02, 03:10 PM   #104
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
I'm trying to tell you that if 5.1 is what you really want, Blu-Ray can do better in a 5.1 kind of way than the Dolby and DTS that came on Gekokujyo Xstasy.

You're confusing the audio possibilities on DVD with the audio possibilities on Blu-Ray. If a DVD includes PCM, it's always going to be in stereo. If a Blu-Ray includes PCM, it could be in 5.1 (but in this particular case - it wasn't). Hence my remark
Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
there are optionally better kinds of PCM in Blu-Ray which meet or exceed what you want out of Dolby or DTS, but EMI Japan gave us DVD-quality PCM instead of Blu-Ray quality PCM.
If Ultra C's PCM had been 5.1, it would have been 5760kbps (and the Blu-Ray format itself in no way stops publishers from providing this), and there would be no point in having 192/384/448/576kbps Dolby or 768/1536kbps DTS. Now supposedly there "uncompressed" higher-bitrate forms of Dolby or DTS (higher than 576kbps or 1536kbps) as an option in Blu-Ray publishing, but since PCM is also uncompressed, there's no point in having Dolby or DTS on a Blu-Ray at all - not when publishers can now provide PCM in as many channels as they want.
Old 2010.10.03, 08:27 AM   #105
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Ah, I see. Sorry, I seem to have misunderstood you.
I thought you were saying, nobody should care about 5.1. surround sound on a concert DVD as long as it has good enough stereo sound to do decent audio rips.
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.06, 10:13 AM   #106
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

i dont know how this was acquired

Uki covers Elvis' "Release Me"
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.06, 07:52 PM   #107
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
i dont know how this was acquired

Uki covers Elvis' "Release Me"
I kinda wish I could have those last few minutes of my life back...
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.06, 10:23 PM   #108
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Don't lie, that performance is epic!

Originally Posted by shadynook
I dont know how this was acquired
It's on the DVD.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.06, 11:02 PM   #109
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Yes. It's one of the extra performances included in the DVD; there is one of them for each member.
It's worth saying that Shiina Ringo's special encore was Tasogare Naki, likely and paradoxically one of the best performances from Ultra C, in my opinion.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.06, 11:31 PM   #110
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

no...kidding...

so that the incentive to get the dvd version? haha

well, get the paddle out. I'm ready for my lashings.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote