Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Do you think that she should sing in English ?
Yes 66 77.65%
No 19 22.35%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007.10.22, 06:07 PM   #91
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

hey give that back *grab dunce cap off XO*
I never quite understand the whole United Kingdom deal; If its the Kingdom, meaning whatever teh Queen have sovereignty over, shouldn't Australia be part of this?
Old 2007.10.22, 06:28 PM   #92
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Kasanagi View Post
hey give that back *grab dunce cap off XO*
I never quite understand the whole United Kingdom deal; If its the Kingdom, meaning whatever teh Queen have sovereignty over, shouldn't Australia be part of this?
Australia was part of the British Empire. It is now independent from the UK, with it's own government.

This is a nice Geography lesson (Even for me), but a tad off-topic
Old 2008.06.10, 07:53 PM   #93
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by badtzmaru View Post
Same here! I don't think there are many Japanese artists (or any artist, for that matter) that sings in as many languages as Ringo. ' >_<
Is Japanese American cheating?

Miho Hatori (Cibo Matto, Smokey and Miho)

probably my second favorite japanese born singer
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.10, 11:05 PM   #94
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Don't worry, you're not stupid. it seems the majority get muddled up. Probably most people in the U.K. can't properly define them.

Great Britain just refers to the island; the mass of land that consists of England, Scotland and Wales. United Kingdom refers politically to the country itself, which consists of the 4 constituent countries England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Remember, 5/6ths of Ireland aside from the north-east is separate from both Britain, and the UK. It is a completely seperate country. Only Northern Ireland (1/6th of Ireland) is one of the 4 UK constituent countries. But anyway, simple put, just say English, Scottish, Welsh or Irish when referring to each nation, rather than Britain as a whole. We like to keep separate :p I think it's similar to the relationship between America and Canada but more confusing.
yeah from the outside most people think it's just Britain but the seperate nations are quite forward about their independence from England especially Scotland (where i am) but i personally am not bothered about it..

as for Shiina's accent well it sounds both American and Victorian English to me.. but that maybe just me ?
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.15, 01:25 PM   #95
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Kasanagi
Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Australia was part of the British Empire. It is now independent from the UK, with it's own government.

This is a nice Geography lesson (Even for me), but a tad off-topic
According to Wikipedia:

When capitalized, "Commonwealth" normally refers to the 53 member Commonwealth of Nations — formerly the "British Commonwealth" — a loose confederation of nations formerly members of the British Empire (with one exception: Mozambique, which was a Portuguese possession). The Commonwealth's membership includes both republics and monarchies and the (appointed, not hereditary) head of the Commonwealth of Nations is Queen Elizabeth II. She also reigns as monarch directly in a number of states, known as Commonwealth Realms, notably the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Jamaica and New Zealand. The Commonwealth of Nations is sometimes referred to as the New Commonwealth in a British context.

So she has some sort of at least symbolic sovereignty in Australia. I seem to recall Australia put this up to a popular vote not too long ago and the majority chose to remain part of the Monarchy.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2008.06.15 at 01:37 PM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.16, 01:18 AM   #96
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

[random]
"You put the Queen on your money, you're British."
by
'Most people have. It's also a noun.'
[/random]
Old 2008.06.16, 03:35 AM   #97
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Netherlands (not Norway) = Holland
United Kingdom (UK) = England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales (though I'm not sure if you can call them separate countries... ask Whisper)
Actually Holland isn't the entire country we know as the Netherlands, Holland comes from two provinces "Noord-Holland" and "Zuid-Holland" (North/South-Holland).

but Holland works :p
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.06.16, 05:48 AM   #98
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

BTW how many Netherlands do you have? Is that equal to the amount of Hollands you have? Or why else is the Netherlands in plural.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote