Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.
Closed Thread

Old 2007.05.06, 03:14 PM   #71
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Luc Besson is a fruit loop. But he knows how to cast young women, that's for sure.
Old 2007.05.07, 06:05 AM   #72
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
The other day I got a hankering for a very special certain movie. SO I popped it in and came to the thunderous conclusion that it MUST be my favorite movie behind Back To the Future.

aaaaaaaaaa~
forgot
I luv this movie too, I watched it a long time ago @¬@ so good

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Old 2007.05.10, 12:41 PM   #73
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I don't think I understood The Prestige. @_@ Who won in the end?
Old 2007.05.10, 03:26 PM   #74
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I'm gonna see this flick on wednesday... until then, I shut up

MyAnimelist
Old 2007.05.10, 03:35 PM   #75
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by badtzmaru View Post
I don't think I understood The Prestige. @_@ Who won in the end?
really nobody won, but jackman lost worse i thought. Bale lost a brother...
Old 2007.05.10, 05:31 PM   #76
badtzmaru

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
really nobody won, but jackman lost worse i thought. Bale lost a brother...
What, I thought it was his clone?!?! Really, the clones were a weird solution to the tricks.
Old 2007.05.10, 07:05 PM   #77
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

What, I thought it was his clone?!?! Really, the clones were a weird solution to the tricks.
Well the killings went both ways so by the end your pretty much sure it wasn't the same guy. Drowned over and over again... Clones weren't the greatest cinematic devise, but it made sense in the movie as a contrast to bale's situation.
Old 2007.05.13, 03:02 PM   #78
badtzmaru

I thought they were twins too, but everyone else said it was a clone. @_@

Anyway, I just came back from watching Meet the Robinsons in 3D!! 8D It was soo cute! T_T
Old 2007.05.13, 03:11 PM   #79
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

3D!! 8D
Aaagh. SmilieAcronymOverload!!1
Old 2007.05.27, 05:05 PM   #80
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Welcome Welcome to the Jihad Movie Lounge, today I'd like to sit back and chat on what something I just recently discovered. My types of music really had a great boon in the mid-90's, 94-97 roughly is when I think music hit a high peak (that I was around to witness anyway.) Movies had a very similar kind of peak for me too, in the late 90's (predominantly 97-99.)

So today I wish to gloss over some movies of this period that I really loved, curiously tho all these movies share something at their core. They're all following high-school teens (if not targeting that very demographic as well.) To put you in my shoes, I would not hit highschool until fall 2000, so at this time I was getting primed for the big step up (and really, once I was there, I partook in NONE of the "highschool experience." But I digress.)

Enough chit chat, lets get to the crop.

Cheaters: It's only fitting the first movie was not only technically a made-for-tv movie (HBO original, so its gray-area enough!) but it also was 2000.. Nevertheless, there was still some good music in 98, so the diffusion rule applies here too! The story is essentially about a group of kids cheating at the National Academic Decathlon, winning, and getting caught. True story too. How rawk n roll is that? I loved this movie because was true rawk. The rough and tough besting the 1337, even if illegitimately. Stickin it to the man, etc. Always made me want to develop some sorta cheating cartel at school. I'm a smart guy and never needed to cheat (not that I object to it, I let people cheat off me as long as its their ass and not mine.), but I was never motivated enough. Starring Jenna Malone, one of my 3 actresses that rarely does me wrong.

Election: Made by the guy that would later make About Schmidt and Sideways (neither of which I watched.) Essentially about a teacher that has a irrational abhor ration for one goody-two-shoes uber student, so he rigs the school gov election so she loses. I totally didn't plan the correlation between this and the preceding movie, kind of interesting how they relate to me. I'm really an honest person in rl... Anyway, Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick kick ass in this movie.

Jawbreaker: I know its a bit of an intellectual drop-off, but stay with me. This ones about killing your friend, covering it up, and duping the school's wallflower. I'm such a bad guy. Rose McGowans a fox, but I'd totally pass on her for Judy Greer (nerdy Fern Mayo -style, not so much for "Violet") Plus, Rose probly has some scary Marilyn Manson curse on her, so fuck that noise! Anyway, It's a fun movie, I always liked it, dont ask, I just felt compelled to mention it.

Virgin Suicides: Back on board intellectually anyway. Fuck Lost in Translation, THIS is Sophia Coppola's best movie (I havent seen it, but I'm sure Marrie Antoinette sux.) Its about 5 sisters that commit suicide. SPOILERS GASH! It's a really great flick, I don't even know what to say about it. Oh yeah, Kirsten Dunst is in this one, and shes the second of my 3 for-the-win actresses. (The final actress, of course is well-documented here already Natalie Portman. She had Where the Heart Is in 2000 and I want to include it here, but as much as I ruv that movie long-time, its too different for this crop, oh well.)

Dick: Kirsten Dunst again, only this ones a more overt comedy. Plus its a historical/teen comedy. Now theres a great combination for a kid that always watched the History Channel. This one satirizes the Watergate scandal. Also starring Will Ferrell (SNL) and Bruce McCulloch (Kids in the Hall.) Saturday Night Live meets Kids in the Hall in a historical/teen comedy staring one of my ftw actresses?? My head asplode!

Slums of Beverly Hills:Its been years since Ive watched it, and I'm looking to "obtain it." I really remember so little of this movie, but I know it belongs here. If I watch it again, and suddenly realize its shit, at the very least it has Marissa Tomei in it, and, hey. Does anyone really lose if its a movie with Marissa Tomei in it?

Go: Essentially the only way to knew this movie existed is if you watched MTV and saw the video for No Doubt's song "New," which was on the film's soundtrack. And this was in that odd period when No Doubt didn't completely suck. Go is sorta Pulp Fiction's wannabe poser, but its still good. Theres three plotlines, and the only one I ever care about is the first one about the girl who needs to make money, so she gets some X to sell, but junks them under pressure. Then, still in a bind or cash she plans on selling phony pills at a rave and stiff the drug dealer she got the orginal drugs from -- hilarity ensues! Its a great movie, stylistically.Funny and all that.

Anyway, theres my trip down memory lane. None of these are so "oh ma ga" that any are my fav movie (maybe 1 or 2 sneak into a top 10) but they all were released around each other, and roughly relate thematically. Also they're all superb. I certainly recommend any of em for anyone to see.